Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chamfering holes in wood

What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes, something
that won't grab or chatter?

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Paul wrote:
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes, something
that won't grab or chatter?

--
Paul O.

Coutersink bits are generally available in common size ranges for various
angles. Here's some cheap ones that may work for you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/counter...set-66996.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ink-93342.html

Several name brands and other cheap ones are available from Amazon and
the other usual sources.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes,
something that won't grab or chatter?

How big of a hole (round or some other shape)? What's the material?
Router, Spokeshave, Dremel-tool? Of course, you mentioned DP.
I'm just the group-student around here. Surely someone who really
knows will help, but I think it will be helpful if you will answer the
first two questions.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article , Paul wrote:
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes, something
that won't grab or chatter?

--
Paul O.

Coutersink bits are generally available in common size ranges for various
angles. Here's some cheap ones that may work for you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/counter...set-66996.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ink-93342.html

Several name brands and other cheap ones are available from Amazon and
the other usual sources.

The 93342 one above is pure crap. It chatters like a woodpecker.
This one is good.
http://www.generaltools.com/-195-34-...ink_p_230.html
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Paul wrote:
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes,
something that won't grab or chatter?

How big of a hole (round or some other shape)? What's the material?
Router, Spokeshave, Dremel-tool? Of course, you mentioned DP.
I'm just the group-student around here. Surely someone who really
knows will help, but I think it will be helpful if you will answer the
first two questions.

Bill

Bill... Reread the heading......WOOD ww

Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:
wrote in message
Paul wrote:
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes,
something that won't grab or chatter?

How big of a hole (round or some other shape)? What's the material?
Router, Spokeshave, Dremel-tool? Of course, you mentioned DP.
I'm just the group-student around here. Surely someone who really
knows will help, but I think it will be helpful if you will answer the
first two questions.

Bill

Bill... Reread the heading......WOOD ww

Maple or pine??? Both "WOOD", no? : ) lol
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
WW wrote:
wrote in message
Paul wrote:
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes,
something that won't grab or chatter?

How big of a hole (round or some other shape)? What's the material?
Router, Spokeshave, Dremel-tool? Of course, you mentioned DP.
I'm just the group-student around here. Surely someone who really
knows will help, but I think it will be helpful if you will answer the
first two questions.

Bill

Bill... Reread the heading......WOOD ww

Maple or pine??? Both "WOOD", no? : ) lol

At the same time, when I first asked, "What's the material", I was
wondering how "thick" the material present was--wanting to let one end
of a spokeshave into the hole if possible. Sorry if I was vague.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 May 2011 22:14:12 +0000, Larry W wrote:

In article , Paul
wrote:
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes,
something that won't grab or chatter?

--
Paul O.

Coutersink bits are generally available in common size ranges for
various angles.

I've had good luck with a countersink from Lee Valley in an old eggbeater
hand drill. If I've got more than a dozen or so, the same bit works in
my drill press. See:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?
p=41012&cat=1,180,42240,42281&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.harborfreight.com/counter...set-66996.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ink-93342.html

I haven't tried the first ones, but the second sucks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2011 6:32 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/counter...set-66996.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ink-93342.html

I haven't tried the first ones, but the second sucks.

Agreed. It's like they forgot to sharpen it or something...

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/11 7:09 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 5/9/2011 6:32 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/counter...set-66996.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ink-93342.html

I haven't tried the first ones, but the second sucks.

Agreed. It's like they forgot to sharpen it or something...

The didn't forget. They just don't. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.
"Bill" wrote in message
Paul wrote:
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes,
something that won't grab or chatter?

How big of a hole (round or some other shape)? What's the material?
Router, Spokeshave, Dremel-tool? Of course, you mentioned DP.
I'm just the group-student around here. Surely someone who really
knows will help, but I think it will be helpful if you will answer the
first two questions.

Bill

Various hardwoods, hole sizes 7/16" to 1.0" Some different sizes in between.
HF is just down the street a bit, think I'll try the first tool mentioned
and see what happens. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Google search - Irwin countersink bits. Click on the 3rd picture

http://www.google.com/search?q=irwin...1259&bi h=701

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 10:21*pm, "Paul" wrote:
--
Paul O."Bill" wrote in message

Paul wrote:
What is a good tool to use in a drill press for chamfering holes,
something that won't grab or chatter?

How big of a hole (round or some other shape)? What's the material?
Router, Spokeshave, Dremel-tool? *Of course, you mentioned DP.
I'm just the group-student around here. Surely someone who really
knows will help, but I think it will be helpful if you will answer the
first two questions.

Bill

Various hardwoods, hole sizes 7/16" to 1.0" Some different sizes in between.
HF is just down the street a bit, think I'll try the first tool mentioned
and see what happens. Thanks.

45 degree chamfer? Router with a chamfer bit will
give you the cleanest surface. Not sure I've ever
seen a countersink for a 1" pilot hole, but a good
one won't be cheap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually, what I'd almost rather have is a flexible type of sanding disk on
a mandrel that, in a drill press, or hand drill for that matter, could be
ran down on top of the hole forming a chamfer or rounded edge. Don't know
what you call it, and haven't been able to find anything. Any ideas there?

Paul O.

Large, Long Holes in Wood... Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 49 August 14th 08 01:59 PM
Makita laminate trimmer - need help wih chamfering Nigel Burnett Woodworking 2 July 3rd 07 04:55 PM
Filling (big) holes in wood/Wood repair JoeJoe UK diy 3 November 30th 05 11:28 AM
Making holes in wood Arch Woodturning 4 August 20th 04 01:06 AM
Filling holes in wood Stuart UK diy 3 April 13th 04 09:29 AM