Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A fun little "on the side" project ...

On 4/14/2011 5:29 PM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...orativeEffort#

A hand rubbed finish, a la Sam Maloof, and the piece is now residing in
its designated home.

As color blind as I am, I could still appreciate the gorgeous complement
of the hand rubbed walnut to the old leather couch ... a "rich' look,
indeed. Wished I had something besides a DroidX POS camera, you really
need to be there.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2011 1:13 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/14/2011 5:29 PM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...orativeEffort#

A hand rubbed finish, a la Sam Maloof, and the piece is now residing in
its designated home.

As color blind as I am, I could still appreciate the gorgeous complement
of the hand rubbed walnut to the old leather couch ... a "rich' look,
indeed. Wished I had something besides a DroidX POS camera, you really
need to be there.

Man, drop that in my living room and I'd try to design a room around it.
Beautiful! If I was selling that, I'd find the hoitiest-toitiest
reseller I could find!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2011 5:29 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...orativeEffort#

HOLY...

SMOKE!

Whoa.... I liked the mosaic work before, but that frame around it now
makes it just jump out. I think it is a hard task to make a piece
like that look classy as the mosaic patterns can go so terribly wrong
sometimes.

Not there. Your frame was the perfect compliment; its exacting
tolerances and hand applied finish really make the whole piece come
together. What a great job.

Nice.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2011 8:26 PM, wrote:
On 4/14/2011 5:29 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...orativeEffort#

HOLY...

SMOKE!

Whoa.... I liked the mosaic work before, but that frame around it now
makes it just jump out. I think it is a hard task to make a piece
like that look classy as the mosaic patterns can go so terribly wrong
sometimes.

Not there. Your frame was the perfect compliment; its exacting
tolerances and hand applied finish really make the whole piece come
together. What a great job.

Nice.

Thanks, Robert ... I enjoyed working with the other folks on that
project, no pressure, just do your thing and see what comes. It is
certainly not something I would have sought out, or even thought I'd
like doing for that matter.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 10:40*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 4/28/2011 8:26 PM, wrote:

[...]

How nice now I see it in its element. I hope to find the patience to
try out some of those exotic finishes.
I still see elements of Starry Night....

Nice!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 4/28/2011 8:26 PM, wrote:
On 4/14/2011 5:29 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...orativeEffort#

HOLY...

SMOKE!

Whoa.... I liked the mosaic work before, but that frame around it now
makes it just jump out. I think it is a hard task to make a piece
like that look classy as the mosaic patterns can go so terribly wrong
sometimes.

Not there. Your frame was the perfect compliment; its exacting
tolerances and hand applied finish really make the whole piece come
together. What a great job.

Nice.

Thanks, Robert ... I enjoyed working with the other folks on that
project, no pressure, just do your thing and see what comes. It is
certainly not something I would have sought out, or even thought I'd
like doing for that matter.

Yeah you did goooood.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 4/28/2011 8:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

All of you did real GOOD!

My hat is off!
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 19:57:37 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

I still see elements of Starry Night....

"It's time to increase your dose of Lithium, sir."

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I still see elements of Starry Night....

"It's time to increase your dose of Lithium, sir."

Lithium wouldn't reduce the hallucinogenic component of Absinthe, the
elixir that many scholars believe caused Van Gogh to see the swirls
evident in many of his paintings.
Hallucinations AND enormous amounts of gas are both a side effects of
absinthe. The gas often so bad that one can be mistaken for a loud
motorcycle. Hence:

Absinthe makes the farts go honda.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

The Right Reverend Spooner grolls over in his rave.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you still remember
December's foggy freeze
when the ice that
clings on to your beard is
screaming agony.
And you snatch your rattling last breaths
with deep-sea-diver sounds,
and the flowers bloom like
madness in the spring.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 12:05*am, Robatoy wrote:
Do you still remember
December's foggy freeze
when the ice that
clings on to your beard is
screaming agony.
And you snatch your rattling last breaths
with deep-sea-diver sounds,
and the flowers bloom like
madness in the spring.

Sun streaking cold
an old man wandering lonely.
Taking time
the only way he knows.
Leg hurting bad,
as he bends to pick a dog-end
he goes down to the bog
and warms his feet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:54:23 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
I still see elements of Starry Night....

"It's time to increase your dose of Lithium, sir."

Lithium wouldn't reduce the hallucinogenic component of Absinthe, the
elixir that many scholars believe caused Van Gogh to see the swirls
evident in many of his paintings.
Hallucinations AND enormous amounts of gas are both a side effects of
absinthe. The gas often so bad that one can be mistaken for a loud
motorcycle. Hence:

Absinthe makes the farts go honda.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The Right Reverend Spooner grolls over in his rave.

Indeed. Ouch! But at least bad puns don't have any aromatic
components to them. groan

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 22:05:35 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

Do you still remember
December's foggy freeze
when the ice that
clings on to your beard is
screaming agony.
And you snatch your rattling last breaths
with deep-sea-diver sounds,
and the flowers bloom like
madness in the spring.

Aqualung, my friend. Don't you start away uneasy.
You poor old sod, you see, it's only me.

Jethro Tull is my favorite band of all time.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

If they did, that one would be a stinker, wot?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Do you still remember
December's foggy freeze
when the ice that
clings on to your beard is
screaming agony.
And you snatch your rattling last breaths
with deep-sea-diver sounds,
and the flowers bloom like
madness in the spring.

Aqualung, my friend. Don't you start away uneasy.
You poor old sod, you see, it's only me.

Jethro Tull is my favorite band of all time.

LOT of good memories attached to jethro Tull's time on the hit parade.
Played those LP's till I could hear the other side simultaneously.

Did you catch that duet Anderson played with Flight Engineer Cady
Coleman (she was aboard the ISS) real time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeC4nqBB5BM

The old man and his crew---

After all these years,

It's apogee.

Pilot training and remorse---

Spirit friends fly too,

At apogee.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 07:03:27 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Apr 30, 9:30Â*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:54:23 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Absinthe makes the farts go honda.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The Right Reverend Spooner grolls over in his rave.

Indeed. Â*Ouch! Â*But at least bad puns don't have any aromatic
components to them. groan

If they did, that one would be a stinker, wot?

Abbalooley, old sport.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Do you still remember
December's foggy freeze
when the ice that
clings on to your beard is
screaming agony.
And you snatch your rattling last breaths
with deep-sea-diver sounds,
and the flowers bloom like
madness in the spring.

Aqualung, my friend. Don't you start away uneasy.
You poor old sod, you see, it's only me.

Jethro Tull is my favorite band of all time.

LOT of good memories attached to jethro Tull's time on the hit parade.
Played those LP's till I could hear the other side simultaneously.

Och! You should have bought a better turntable with a lighter
cartridge. Mine only went flat (wiped the undulations off the groove
so it was one straight groove on each side.) not through.

Did you catch that duet Anderson played with Flight Engineer Cady
Coleman (she was aboard the ISS) real time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeC4nqBB5BM

Wow, that was GREAT! Bouree was always one of their best.

Man, have Ian's looks changed over the years, but his voice and
mannerisms are immediately recognizable. I saw them in Phoenix another
life ago.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/30/2011 8:33 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Jethro Tull is my favorite band of all time.

Lost on me completely. Funny how just a slight difference in age,
draft/military status and geographic location can make such a musical
cultural divide.

Simply never had the _opportunity_ during their heyday to get into them ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/30/2011 7:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:54:23 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Then why do folks say that puns stink?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 1:06*pm, Just Wondering wrote:
On 4/30/2011 7:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:54:23 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
*wrote:

*wrote:
[...]

Only good ones stink.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 10:54*am, Swingman wrote:
On 4/30/2011 8:33 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Jethro Tull is my favorite band of all time.

Lost on me completely. Funny how just a slight difference in age,
draft/military status and geographic location can make such a musical
cultural divide.

Simply never had the _opportunity_ during their heyday to get into them ....

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Between early Cornick and then Hammond, Jethro Tull had some superb
bass players. You'd approve.
I like Jethro Tull almost as much as 10cc, which is still my 'go-to'
music when life's bull**** tries to get me down. The early 70's were
so rich in musical terms that I had dozens of favourite bands...
My top 20 favourites are all number one depending on my needs at the
time.
One song which will ALWAYS put a smile on y face is Moody Blues'
Floating:

"Floating free as a bird
Sixty foot leaps it's so absurd
From up here you should see the view
Such a lot of space for me and you"

A doobie helps that a lot......or so I'm told.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote in news:a82b6ccd-e367-42f1-920d-
:

On Apr 30, 1:06*pm, Just Wondering wrote:

Then why do folks say that puns stink?

Only good ones stink.

If they stink, they're probably only 2/3s of a pun.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:54:40 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/30/2011 8:33 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Jethro Tull is my favorite band of all time.

Lost on me completely. Funny how just a slight difference in age,
draft/military status and geographic location can make such a musical
cultural divide.

Simply never had the _opportunity_ during their heyday to get into them ...

That's too bad. Early on, they were technically fabulous and
extremely versatile. Try a listen to the early albums, such as "This
Was" and "Stand Up". Amazon is a good source for 30-second samples.

I think "Passion Play" was their last good album, but they continued
on with a dozen more. Fame killed them for me, because they kept on
adjusting to what played on the Top 40. Ick!

But I like some Goodman/Miller/Dorsey swing, too, but the loud
trumpets blew me out. Swing was Mom's thing (along with Como and
Snotra

Instrumentals are my main thing, though. Music -needs- no words.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I think "Passion Play" was their last good album, but they continued
on with a dozen more. Fame killed them for me, because they kept on
adjusting to what played on the Top 40. Ick!

You can do, you can do...

--

-Mike-