Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Repairing/refinishing a divided light door

On Monday, April 4, 2011 6:40:10 AM UTC-7, Limp Arbor wrote:

Door1
36" wide.
Veneered (~3/16") in either oak or chestnut with a little lifting and
a few small splits ...
All 15 panes of glass are good.

If I go with door 1 should I remove all the glass before stripping,
sanding and finishing?

If you're OK with the distressed look, don't bother with a full stripping
and sanding. I always expect doors to have character.

If you really want to get down to bare wood, I'd remove the glass
and probably would get a glass shop to cut new glass for it; nowadays,
it has to be tempered. For a little more money, it can be low-e
sandwiched doublepane as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you really want to get down to bare wood, I'd remove the glass
and probably would get a glass shop to cut new glass for it; nowadays,
it has to be tempered. * For a little more money, it can be low-e
sandwiched doublepane as well.

I had forgotten about being tempered. Thanks for the reminder. I
have a back door with multi-lights, plate glass. I often worry about
it.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

If you really want to get down to bare wood, I'd remove the glass
and probably would get a glass shop to cut new glass for it; nowadays,
it has to be tempered. For a little more money, it can be low-e
sandwiched doublepane as well.

I had forgotten about being tempered. Thanks for the reminder. I
have a back door with multi-lights, plate glass. I often worry about
it.

Tempered is good, but most code only calls for that when it is closer than 4
or 5 feet off the ground.

Repairing/refinishing a divided light door Limp Arbor Woodworking 3 April 4th 11 08:47 PM
Refinishing door boden Woodworking 8 April 25th 07 05:59 AM
Anyone tried to put plastic glazing outside on divided light windows John Gilmer Home Repair 1 February 11th 07 02:44 AM
How to make divided light cabinet doors? David F. Eisan Woodworking 9 November 4th 05 02:50 PM
Front door refinishing User Example Woodworking 8 August 27th 05 07:53 AM