Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refinishing door

I have a sliding patio door in which the glass system failed. The
result is that water apparently condensed on the interior surface and
during the winter ran down over the wood (pine) below the glass creating
a fairly large stain. The wood was originally finished with a Watco
fruitwood stain and the damaged area is quite light, almost white.

Any suggestions for how to repair this damage?

Boden
Posted to rec.woodworking

Boden wrote:

I have a sliding patio door in which the glass system failed.

Since it failed, it's replacement time.

Question is: Who pays for it?

You,the insurance company or the manufacturer under warranty?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

I would think replacement, also. I am thinking that you are talking
about a double paned door, so the door will have to be taken apart to
replace the panel anyway. I believe that ordering a new side from the
factory would be cheaper than having a measured piece made to fit into
your frame.

Besides, the frame is probably damaged anyway if the water worked its
way from inside to out. And some of the frames aren't made to come
apart anyway, but actually made to be replaced in the event of damage
to the glass.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you SURE that the glass system failed?

Condensation on the inside pane, running down over the glass is only caused
by the humidity inside the house being too high. When the temperature of
the glass drops to the dew point of the inside air you will have
condensation. Think of a can of pop coming out of the refrigerator and
leaving a puddle on the counter if set there too long. Same principle.
Brand new windows will weep in this situation.

When the glass fails, the water is between the two panes, and doesn't run
anywhere.

If you have closed drapes in front of the glass this will make the situation
worse.

Only reason for asking, is that if you go to the trouble and expense of
replacing glass or door, the same thing will happen unless you do something
about the humidity.

Old Guy

"Boden" wrote in message
I have a sliding patio door in which the glass system failed. The result
is that water apparently condensed on the interior surface and during the
winter ran down over the wood (pine) below the glass creating a fairly
large stain. The wood was originally finished with a Watco fruitwood stain
and the damaged area is quite light, almost white.

Any suggestions for how to repair this damage?

Boden

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm sure the glass failed. When the barometric pressure is up I can see
Newton's rings in the center where the inside and outside panes touch.

Since the house is unoccupied most of the time the humidity is about 30%
during the winter. Condensation forms because the center of the failed
pane is at, or close, to the exterior temperature. If the window didn't
fail the double pane window would afford enough thermal impedance to not
allow the interior glass to drop so far.

The door is an Andersen Frenchwood sliding door. They will replace the
glass assembly under warranty (although all they want to do is drill
through the frame to vent the glass assembly.) I still have to remove
and reinstall the replacement parts though. I have a total of 41
similarly failed Anderson windows but this is the only that caused
damage to the surrounding wood.

Boden

"Boden" wrote in message

I have a sliding patio door in which the glass system failed. The result
is that water apparently condensed on the interior surface and during the
winter ran down over the wood (pine) below the glass creating a fairly
large stain. The wood was originally finished with a Watco fruitwood stain
and the damaged area is quite light, almost white.

Any suggestions for how to repair this damage?

Boden

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 24, 6:38 am, "Old guy" wrote:

Are you SURE that the glass system failed?

Condensation on the inside pane, running down over the glass is only caused by the humidity inside the house being too high.

Good point. Using my own reference point as a remodeler, I
immediately thought, Old dude is off the mark.

Almost all of today's double, and now triple paned windows are
hermitically sealed at the factory after having all the air removed.
After the air removal, it is replaced with Argon gas, a dry, non
toxic, extremely stable gas. The ONLY way for condensation to form
betweent the panels is a leak in the seal causing the Argon to leak
out, being replaced with outside air which of course is humid.

BUT... there are indeed some cheaper, less quality alternatives out
there that are indeed simply double paned. Much like cheap sunglass
lenses, they are simply coated to achieve a "low E" rating. No gas,
just a seal with some silicone sealer around it.

What immediately came to mind when OP said wood was Pella, Anderson or
the like, which may not be the case at all.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 11:51 pm, Boden wrote:
I have a sliding patio door in which the glass system failed. The
result is that water apparently condensed on the interior surface and
during the winter ran down over the wood (pine) below the glass creating
a fairly large stain. The wood was originally finished with a Watco
fruitwood stain and the damaged area is quite light, almost white.

Any suggestions for how to repair this damage?

Boden

It does sound like a replacement if something must be done. I will
say, however, that so long as it opens, closes and locks then you may
wait to replace until it no longer does those things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Boden" wrote in message
I'm sure the glass failed. When the barometric pressure is up I can see
Newton's rings in the center where the inside and outside panes touch.

Then the glass has not failed. It has morphed into a weather prediction tool
that every home should have.
"Honey, lets; take the convertible today. The Newton's rings are on the
door so it will be a bright sunny day. "

Posted to rec.woodworking

Boden wrote:
I'm sure the glass failed. When the barometric pressure is up I can see
Newton's rings in the center where the inside and outside panes touch.

Ahhh ... so that's where he left them.

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000735-2, 04/23/2007
Tested on: 4/25/2007 12:59:23 AM

Old Piano Refinishing Don Dando Woodworking 3 July 25th 06 05:49 PM
"Bronze" storm door refinishing? Kurt Gavin Home Repair 0 July 23rd 06 07:23 PM
Front door refinishing User Example Woodworking 8 August 27th 05 07:53 AM
refinishing John Woodworking 5 March 2nd 05 05:54 PM
marquee refinishing Ivan Woodworking 0 December 13th 04 12:08 AM