Posted to rec.woodworking

Default safest method?

What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gary Kunstmann wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2
spindle blanks before turning?

bandsaw

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:30:32 -0700, Gary Kunstmann
wrote:

What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Mount 'er up and take off the excess with a draw knife.
Just be careful of that long, sharp blade.

Or turn 'em with a CNC lathe.

--
The general effect was exactly like a microscopic view of a
small detachment of black beetles, in search of a dead rat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/29/2011 11:30 AM, Gary Kunstmann wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Set table saw blade at 45 degrees away from fence. Lay 2 x 2 on edge on
table and flat against blade. Move fence to just touch edge of 2 x 2.
Now rip corners off of 2 x 2 by feeding flat against table and fence.
You'll come out with a perfect eight sided blank, no matter the
dimension of the square blank you started with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gary Kunstmann" wrote in message
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

If you mean how do you reduce a square blank to cylindrical, the quickest
and easiest way is to mount the wood in the lathe and use a spindle roughing
gouge - that's what it's designed to do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Norman Billingham" wrote in message

"Gary Kunstmann" wrote in message
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

If you mean how do you reduce a square blank to cylindrical, the quickest
and easiest way is to mount the wood in the lathe and use a spindle
roughing gouge - that's what it's designed to do.

Gotta agree with you on this one. A 2x2 is just not big enough to cause any
problems when roughing out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Gary Kunstmann wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Roughing gouge on the lathe -- IOW, don't bother. A 2x2 spindle isn't nearly
big enough for the size of the corners to be a concern.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 2:30*pm, Gary Kunstmann wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Handplane
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2011 1:13 PM, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Mar 29, 2:30 pm, Gary wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Handplane

Bingo. I've done this many times. Hell of a lot faster than roughing it in on
the lathe.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 2:30 pm, Gary *wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Handplane

Bingo. *I've done this many times. *Hell of a lot faster than roughing it in on
the lathe.

--
See Nad. *See Nad go. *Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Fastest way to clean up a cylinder on a lathe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 2:30*pm, Gary Kunstmann wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Gouge, with the tool rest set as close as possible to give
you the most leverage and the least chattering.

With experience, you can do pretty much the entire turning
job with a sharp gouge save for beading or parting. Much
more impressive to fire a long, unbroken curly over your
shoulder than to make a pile of dust with a scraper.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 2:30 pm, Gary wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Handplane

Bingo. I've done this many times. Hell of a lot faster than roughing it in on
the lathe.

Since some time last summer, when I settled down for some unproductive
yet inspiring time with a Raffan DVD, and had the "You can do that
and not die?" moment, I'd say a skew chisel.

Once you get the angle against the shadow working, it is just swoop,
swoop, swoop, and you have, um, well, a stack of ex-firewood round
spindles in the garage waiting for your to do *something* with them.

--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind
| Had no spare

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Steve Turner spewed forth:
On Mar 29, 2:30 pm, Gary wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2
spindle blanks before turning?

Handplane

Bingo. I've done this many times. Hell of a lot faster than
roughing it in on the lathe.

See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice drums and etc, but I thought I'd at least some smoked meat, toog

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 2:30 pm, Gary wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2
spindle
blanks before turning?

Handplane

Bingo. I've done this many times. Hell of a lot faster than roughing
it in on
the lathe.

Since some time last summer, when I settled down for some unproductive
yet inspiring time with a Raffan DVD, and had the "You can do that
and not die?" moment, I'd say a skew chisel.

Once you get the angle against the shadow working, it is just swoop,
swoop, swoop, and you have, um, well, a stack of ex-firewood round
spindles in the garage waiting for your to do *something* with them.

I see this all the time, nowadays. Someone reposts with no reply.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
On Mar 29, 2:30 pm, Gary Kunstmann wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Gouge, with the tool rest set as close as possible to give
you the most leverage and the least chattering.

With experience, you can do pretty much the entire turning
job with a sharp gouge save for beading or parting. Much
more impressive to fire a long, unbroken curly over your
shoulder than to make a pile of dust with a scraper.

Yeah, but what if is his wood is no longer wet?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Martin Eastburn writes:
Wow - a DVD ? - I have his book and VCR. But that is telling.

Well, I chuckle inside everytime he refers to the presentation as
a "tape," so I assume it is the same. I have two (Turning Wood and
Turning Projects, I think), I forget which one enlightened me.

He is something else.

Makes it all look easy.

On Mar 29, 2:30 pm, Gary wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle
blanks before turning?

Handplane

Bingo. I've done this many times. Hell of a lot faster than roughing it in on
the lathe.

Since some time last summer, when I settled down for some unproductive
yet inspiring time with a Raffan DVD, and had the "You can do that
and not die?" moment, I'd say a skew chisel.

Once you get the angle against the shadow working, it is just swoop,
swoop, swoop, and you have, um, well, a stack of ex-firewood round
spindles in the garage waiting for your to do *something* with them.

--
In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the
last resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2011 10:48 PM, ChairMan wrote:
In ,
Steve spewed forth:
On Mar 29, 2:30 pm, Gary wrote:
What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2
spindle blanks before turning?

Handplane

Bingo. I've done this many times. Hell of a lot faster than
roughing it in on the lathe.

See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Nice drums and etc, but I thought I'd at least some smoked meat, toog

Thanks. Yeah, I don't really have too many pictures of my barbecuing
escapades. It's too hard to hold a camera when I've got tongs in one hand and
a beer in the other. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.