Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing

I have a general knowledge of stains and have done some experimenting
with stains and some different woods, but how does one know when to
use different protecting finishes such as oils, shellac, polyurethane,
etc.? Anyone also know of a good tutorial online to provide some
insight?

Thank you
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:14:50 -0700 (PDT), SBH
wrote:

I have a general knowledge of stains and have done some experimenting
with stains and some different woods, but how does one know when to
use different protecting finishes such as oils, shellac, polyurethane,
etc.? Anyone also know of a good tutorial online to provide some
insight?

Thank you

I've always referred to Jeff Jewitt's _Hand Applied Finishes_.
It's a peach.

--
If the only prayer you ever say in your whole
life is "thank you," that would suffice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 28, 9:54*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I've always referred to Jeff Jewitt's _Hand Applied Finishes_.
It's a peach.

Jewitt has some really good stuff out there and sells his own
finishes. If you buy from him, you can call him and get a 5 minute
consult on his products.

I always like Bob Flexnor's books better, but that is certainly a
matter of individual taste.

When I was starting out, I liked books better as I could take them
with me to the testing grounds to set up guns, try brushing
techniques, padding techniques, and to troubleshoot problems.

If you are looking for something online, just Google "furniture
finishing tutorial" and you will find things like this everywhe

http://www.creationsbykara.com/2010/...furniture.html

Good luck!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 28, 11:14*am, SBH wrote:
I have a general knowledge of stains and have done some experimenting
with stains and some different woods, but how does one know when to
use different protecting finishes such as oils, shellac, polyurethane,
etc.? Anyone also know of a good tutorial online to provide some
insight?

Thank you

*No* finish is always an option. Plane or sand the wood smooth
with 2,000 grit and let the oil and wear from handling bring out
the patina.

Finishing John Woodturning 12 February 25th 08 04:48 PM
New bee finishing Camera Woodturning 10 February 17th 08 12:01 AM
Finishing Red Oak Darwin[_2_] Woodturning 8 January 19th 08 10:05 AM
Oak finishing paul UK diy 8 January 17th 07 02:31 PM
Finishing Q Tom Wojeck Woodworking 1 October 31st 04 10:55 PM