Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Architectural MDF and Plywood in Interiors

The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-architecture/

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2011 3:50 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:
The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-architecture/

Thanks for the url ... good stuff!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 1/18/2011 3:50 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:
The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-architecture/

Thanks for the url ... good stuff!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

S:

You're welcome. Most of it was avant garde work but the L.A.
restaurant seemed
stylistically near to the Japanese traditional decorative concept of
"shibui", q.v.
"Austere, subdued and restrained are some of the English words that
come closest.
Etymologically, shibui means 'astringent,' and is used to describe a
profound,
unassuming and quiet feeling." (Bernard Leach, A Potter's Book 1940)"
from http://clicks.robertgenn.com/shibui.php .

And I guess if we all had another lodge with no...stuff...we could do
shibui too.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
m...
The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-architecture/

I have done a few creative things with plywood.

But nothing like this.

Thanks, good stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:50:23 -0800, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-architecture/

I like what you've done with your ceiling, Jonah.

Somehow I believe I'd be throwing up a lot if I were around these
spaces/homes.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edward Hennessey wrote:

The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...e-plywood-mdf-

architecture/

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Wow, some pretty wild stuff. But then again some real ugly stuff to.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-plywood-mdf-a....

Thanks for the url ... good stuff!

You're welcome. Most of it was avant garde work but the L.A.
restaurant seemed
stylistically near to the Japanese traditional decorative concept of
"shibui", q.v.
"Austere, subdued and restrained are some of the English words that
come closest.
Etymologically, shibui means 'astringent,' and is used to describe a
profound,
unassuming and quiet feeling." (Bernard Leach, A Potter's Book 1940)"
from http://clicks.robertgenn.com/shibui.php* .

And I guess if we all had another lodge with no...stuff...we could do
shibui too.

Excellent link. Thanks! From some other replies it sounds like
that's your web site or that you did some of that work. Is that
correct?

I know the Japanese concept as 'shibumi'. And I've heard it roughly
translated as the pursuit of perfection done in a way that makes it
appear effortless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibui
which leads to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi
"From an engineering or design point of view, "wabi" may be
interpreted as the imperfect quality of any object, due to inevitable
limitations in design and construction/manufacture especially with
respect to unpredictable or changing usage conditions; then "sabi"
could be interpreted as the aspect of imperfect reliability, or
limited mortality of any object, hence the etymological connection
with the Japanese word sabi, to rust."

So we've come full circle, and the oak rust never sleeps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

RDJ:

Excellent link. Thanks! From some other replies it sounds like
that's your web site or that you did some of that work. Is that
correct?

Apologies for the late reply preceded by other obligations.

That was good stuff. Some of it wasn't for me or, perhaps, you but
for what it was the places it was, it was hard to disagree with the
execution. The site is simply one I monitor on occasion.

If anyone is a fan of the unique appeal of found objects or
abandoned places, the home URL is a particular mainstay.

I know the Japanese concept as 'shibumi'.

And you are right about that. "Shibumi" is the noun and "shibui" the
adjective, parallel to similar constructions like "beauty" and
the "beautiful".

And I've heard it roughly
translated as the pursuit of perfection done in a way that makes it
appear effortless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibui

Have you checked the Occidental term "Giotto's O"? You will
enjoy that.

It is coincidental that you cited that reference which I looked at a
few
days earlier. Though it had content, as it built up steam, it seemed
become steam--or glowing, mystic swamp gas. In fact, I sent it to
someone else accomplished in the area and asked that he consider
a more informative effort.

which leads to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi
"From an engineering or design point of view, "wabi" may be
interpreted as the imperfect quality of any object, due to inevitable
limitations in design and construction/manufacture especially with
respect to unpredictable or changing usage conditions; then "sabi"
could be interpreted as the aspect of imperfect reliability, or
limited mortality of any object, hence the etymological connection
with the Japanese word sabi, to rust."

This was a more serviceable treatment.

Though you could read yourself into trifocals on the topic,
the Japanese concept of "mono no aware", embracing the "pathos of
things", their mortal imperfection, the observer's empathy toward them
and his sadness at their passing is worth a look. Many hold this
phrase to
be a keystone for understanding the construction of the Japanese world
view.
It certainly informs much of their artistic sensibilities.

"Tokonoma", also often rendered as "tokonoma space", is another
referent in the realm of Japanese "spiritual architecture" you will
find
intriguing if not familiar. Wikipedia has a fair starter on it at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokonoma

So we've come full circle, and the oak rust never sleeps.

And yin and yang fill that circle by their dynamic interplay,
differing, it seems,
from the sacred Western notion of that circle perfected by the oneness
of itself.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rich" wrote in message
Edward Hennessey wrote:

The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...e-plywood-mdf-

architecture/

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Wow, some pretty wild stuff. But then again some real ugly stuff to.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

R:

I concede I'm not going to remember the quotation right but I do
recall
the inspiration to take a different look at things it left.
It was, perhaps, T.S. Eliot who said something like, "When considering
Bulgarian poetry we are remindend that sometimes the very ugly moves
into the very beautiful." And how that line shifts depends on the
eyeballs.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
message eb.com...

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
m...
The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-architecture/

I have done a few creative things with plywood.

But nothing like this.

Thanks, good stuff.

You're welcome.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-architecture/

I like what you've done with your ceiling, Jonah.

Somehow I believe I'd be throwing up a lot if I were around these
spaces/homes.

LJ:

That recollects a friend's description of a linoleum pattern elected
by a customer of...peculiar appreciation...which he said "looked like
someone got sick and polished it."

Hey, don't have to be fussy about stains when you can't
be expected to find them.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

That was a nice jaunt, Edward.

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:24:12 -0800, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-architecture/

I like what you've done with your ceiling, Jonah.

Somehow I believe I'd be throwing up a lot if I were around these
spaces/homes.

LJ:

That recollects a friend's description of a linoleum pattern elected
by a customer of...peculiar appreciation...which he said "looked like
someone got sick and polished it."

Like a Picasso painting, eh? I never developed that peculiar
appreciation for Cubist art. And I much prefer Manet to Monet.

Hey, don't have to be fussy about stains when you can't
be expected to find them.

This is true, but to always be adding to them seems a bit much.

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
-- Walter E. Williams
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

The bookshelf would be heck in a saloon/salon.

http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/17/fa...-architecture/

I like what you've done with your ceiling, Jonah.

Somehow I believe I'd be throwing up a lot if I were around these
spaces/homes.

LJ:

That recollects a friend's description of a linoleum pattern elected
by a customer of...peculiar appreciation...which he said "looked
like
someone got sick and polished it."

Like a Picasso painting, eh? I never developed that peculiar
appreciation for Cubist art. And I much prefer Manet to Monet.

Hey, don't have to be fussy about stains when you can't
be expected to find them.

This is true, but to always be adding to them seems a bit mu

LJ:

My mother used to laud a good housekeeper by saying "you could
eat off her floor." When I later paradoxically realized that this
praise--
and phrase--seemsedto work even more nutritionally when cleanliness
has nothing to do with it, the sound of the invitation "Sit down and
have a bite" always worked up a smile. Arty stuff is like that too.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
-- Walter E. Williams

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Larry. But don't tell my mother. I'll never hear the end of
it.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I
learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy
as opposed to intentions."
-- Walter E. Williams

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 2:17*am, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

Edward *Hennessey wrote:

[...]

At least he wasn't considering Vogon poetry.
..
..
..
(Vogon poetry is of course, the third worst in the universe. The
second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
the inspiration to take a different look at things it left.
It was, perhaps, T.S. Eliot who said something like, "When considering
Bulgarian poetry we are remindend that sometimes the very ugly moves
into the very beautiful." And how that line shifts depends on the
eyeballs.

At least he wasn't considering Vogon poetry.
.
.
.
(Vogon poetry is of course, the third worst in the universe. The
second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria)

Koans are the worst, right?

--
If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying?
If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
the inspiration to take a different look at things it left.
It was, perhaps, T.S. Eliot who said something like, "When
considering
Bulgarian poetry we are remindend that sometimes the very ugly
moves
into the very beautiful." And how that line shifts depends on the
eyeballs.

At least he wasn't considering Vogon poetry.
.
.
.
(Vogon poetry is of course, the third worst in the universe. The
second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria)

Koans are the worst, right?

LJ:

Zere's koans, zen zere's koans.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Norwood Interiors slider UK diy 5 April 23rd 08 12:34 AM
Goblet and Hollowing Interiors Greg G. Woodturning 36 March 9th 05 04:23 PM
User-Friendly Architectural Plywood Source? John Woodworking 1 February 27th 05 02:22 PM