Reza Naima

Default Where can I find plans/info on building cabinets for the garage?

I'm new to woodworking, but I've got some time to spare, and figure
I'll try to organize the garage by building some cabinets to store
items. I would prefer something somewhat easy for a first time
builder with minimal tool requirements. I would also prefer using
cheaper building supplies, and the cabinets need to store a good deal
of weight.

I've been doing a lot of googling, and haven't found any plans that
match my requirements so far. I wouldn't mind paying for the plans,
but just having found any. If anyone can point me to a good site, or
if anyone has any advice, then I'll be very greatful.

Thanks in advance!
Reza
Sandy

On 18 May 2004 01:56:11 -0700, (Reza Naima) posted:

I'm new to woodworking, but I've got some time to spare, and figure
I'll try to organize the garage by building some cabinets to store
items. I would prefer something somewhat easy for a first time
builder with minimal tool requirements. I would also prefer using
cheaper building supplies, and the cabinets need to store a good deal
of weight.

I've been doing a lot of googling, and haven't found any plans that
match my requirements so far. I wouldn't mind paying for the plans,
but just having found any. If anyone can point me to a good site, or
if anyone has any advice, then I'll be very greatful.

Thanks in advance!
Reza

Built in? Or free standing?

Gee, what an opportunity to make something exactly suiting your
requirements, and space available.

I would be cranking up my DeltaCad and making all sorts of drawings of
stuff I want to store and how I would like to store it.
I've just seen, on one on the binary groups, that corner cupboard with
the lazy suzans in it. SWMBO wants one of them to ceiling height
And I want a similar for my new shed. I think I'll practice on hers
first (only joking, darls...)
As it happens, I'd just bought a 12" lazy suzan bearing for the heck
of it (had to have one I am also planning in my head (and many
drawings) a reference-book lecturn with a flatish-pyramid, rotating
top unit on top of an island, four-sided bookshelf on casters.
Mike G

Chances of finding cabinet plans that meet your particular requirements,
what ever they are, is slim to none.

On the other hand a cabinet is a cabinet, just a large box with shelves. The
construction of one varies little, if at all, from another.

Get a plan for any cabinet that comes close or book on cabinetry and it
isn't rocket science to adapt what is your basic box to your own
requirements.

As to whether the task will be easy or not is, since there isn't much
difference in construction methods for a basic cabinet, pretty much
immaterial It's pretty much the same for tools. You can either adapt
construction to the tools at hand or you can't..

The big thing to remember with any plan is that most of it has options. IE
if the plan calls for shelves mounted in dado's and you don't have a dado
blade or router but do have a biscuit jointer it doesn't mean you can't do
the job and absolutely have to use a dado. The biscuit jointer will do the
job. If you have a router or dado blade and the plan calls for biscuits and
you don't have a biscuit jointer the dado will do the job also..

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Reza Naima" wrote in message
om...
I'm new to woodworking, but I've got some time to spare, and figure
I'll try to organize the garage by building some cabinets to store
items. I would prefer something somewhat easy for a first time
builder with minimal tool requirements. I would also prefer using
cheaper building supplies, and the cabinets need to store a good deal
of weight.

I've been doing a lot of googling, and haven't found any plans that
match my requirements so far. I wouldn't mind paying for the plans,
but just having found any. If anyone can point me to a good site, or
if anyone has any advice, then I'll be very greatful.

Thanks in advance!
Reza

Edwin Pawlowski

"Reza Naima" wrote in message
om...
I'm new to woodworking, but I've got some time to spare, and figure
I'll try to organize the garage by building some cabinets to store
items. I would prefer something somewhat easy for a first time
builder with minimal tool requirements. I would also prefer using
cheaper building supplies, and the cabinets need to store a good deal
of weight.

I've been doing a lot of googling, and haven't found any plans that
match my requirements so far.

No one knows exactly what you want but you. Look at plans you figure you
can handle with the tools you have, then modify them to suit your needs. It
does not take much to add 2" to every dimension on the width if that is what
you want. Take a half hour with a ruler, pad, pencil.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheaper building supplies. Plywood versus
oak? Sure, great idea. Particleboard instead of plywood? Bad idea. MDF
for doors? Heavy, but suitable.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"B a r r y" wrote in message
so
tossing a miscut part isn't such a big deal.

I've never miscut a part. Sometimes I cut parts for my next project ahead
of time. Usually it is a smaller project.
Ed

B a r r y

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:10:27 -0400, "Mike G"
wrote:

Get a plan for any cabinet that comes close or book on cabinetry and it
isn't rocket science to adapt what is your basic box to your own
requirements.

Garage and shop cabinets are terrific skill building exercises! Don't
be afraid to take a chance and experiment. These cabinets are usually
built with less expensive materials than a "good" cabinet might be, so
tossing a miscut part isn't such a big deal.

Barry
mttt

"Reza Naima" wrote in message
om...

I'm new to woodworking, but I've got some time to spare, and figure
I'll try to organize the garage by building some cabinets to store
items. I would prefer something somewhat easy for a first time
builder with minimal tool requirements. I would also prefer using
cheaper building supplies, and the cabinets need to store a good deal
of weight.

I just did two hanging cabinets for the garage. Plans came from Nov or
December'ish 2003 issues of Wood - their Idea Shop 5, if I recall correctly.
One sheet of BORG Maple/Birch Plywood ($33) made two cabinets. French
cleated to the wall.

I cobbeled up some Visio plans if you're interested.

B a r r y

On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:15:10 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"B a r r y" wrote in message
so
tossing a miscut part isn't such a big deal.

I've never miscut a part. Sometimes I cut parts for my next project ahead
of time. Usually it is a smaller project.
Ed

An excellent admission.

Think of all the time saved by knocking the bulk off ahead of time!

Barry
MJ Wallace

Reza:

Ok, I did this and I got my plans from Popular Woodworking.
Check their website, might be able to provide a copy on line
or at least you can order up an article.

Also, check your local library (the big one in town, or the
nearest big city one). Check the stacks for woodworking,
cabinet making, etc. You might find Danny Prolux's books
which are very,very good.

Finally, just buy a good book - go to Barnes/Borders, or
better yet, your local bookseller and see what they got
on cabinet making.

I made mine out of MDF - terrible mistake - the
panels weigh a TON and they are hard to join properly
without a lot of fussing. I'd use 3/4" cabinet ply
next time - get the cheapest you can find. After all,
it's just a garage cabinet!

MJ Wallace

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Reza Naima wrote:
I'm new to woodworking, but I've got some time to spare, and figure
I'll try to organize the garage by building some cabinets to store
items. I would prefer something somewhat easy for a first time
builder with minimal tool requirements. I would also prefer using
cheaper building supplies, and the cabinets need to store a good deal
of weight.

I've been doing a lot of googling, and haven't found any plans that
match my requirements so far. I wouldn't mind paying for the plans,
but just having found any. If anyone can point me to a good site, or
if anyone has any advice, then I'll be very greatful.

Thanks in advance!
Reza

Look for a copy of "Family Handyman" magazine. the September 2003 issue.

All about building economical storage and worksurfaces for a garage.

Unfortunately, I don't _have_ a garage -- condo building with open parking.
*sigh*
Reza Naima

I would love to see some plans. Please send them to "r ez a at r e z
a dot n et" -- remove spaces and replace at and dot accordingly. I
have an idea of what I want and the shape, but I have no idea how to
built it so it's strong and will support heavy tools and cans, as well
as how to properly mount it. Otherwise, it's a box with door and
hinges, right?

Thanks,
Reza

I just did two hanging cabinets for the garage. Plans came from Nov or
December'ish 2003 issues of Wood - their Idea Shop 5, if I recall correctly.
One sheet of BORG Maple/Birch Plywood ($33) made two cabinets. French
cleated to the wall.

I cobbeled up some Visio plans if you're interested.

Jay

(Reza Naima) wrote in message . com...
I'm new to woodworking, but I've got some time to spare, and figure
I'll try to organize the garage by building some cabinets to store
items. I would prefer something somewhat easy for a first time
builder with minimal tool requirements. I would also prefer using
cheaper building supplies, and the cabinets need to store a good deal
of weight.

I've been doing a lot of googling, and haven't found any plans that
match my requirements so far. I wouldn't mind paying for the plans,
but just having found any. If anyone can point me to a good site, or
if anyone has any advice, then I'll be very greatful.

Thanks in advance!
Reza

I used the plans in (don't laugh) the Black & Decker Guide to home
storage:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R24932B58

This was my first project and I had nothing but a circular saw, mitre
saw, and router with a couple of straight bits. The book walks you
through technique in addition to the plans. It gives you options for
making dadoes (Circular saw with guide, etc)

I deviated from the plans in size and materials slightly. For easy
doors let me suggest a 1x3 frame, mitred at the corners for joinery.
Staple screen door screen to serve as the center panel. Super easy,
looks great, and you can see through them without worrying about
breaking glass.

This project game me incredible confidence and I've been hooked since.
Tom Hintz

Reza,
I have some shop-type cabinet plans, a few different versions that
might give you some ideas at the link below.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/plansshop.html
James Morton

Rob Jones wrote in message ws.com...
Although these are not plans, the images here may help you:

http://borg.ucsb.edu/dmm/GarageCabinets/GarCabs.html

rob jones

How about you quit web-squatting on the macsoft.com domain?
Rob Jones

On 9 Jun 2004 13:22:16 -0700, (James Morton)
wrote:

Rob Jones wrote in message ws.com...
Although these are not plans, the images here may help you:

http://borg.ucsb.edu/dmm/GarageCabinets/GarCabs.html

rob jones

How about you quit web-squatting on the macsoft.com domain?

When you butted into a conversation I was having in
microsoft.public.platformsdk.security, I wrote you off as a troll.
Now that you've butted into ANOTHER conversation I'm involved in, I
have to ask:

Who are you and what's your problem?

rob