Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DC hoses

Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2010 6:46 PM, Bill wrote:
SBH wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.

But if you then cut oak, won't that rust ... or explode ... or something??

:-J

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.

But if you then cut oak, won't that rust ... or explode ... or something??

:-J

Maybe you have to soak the oak in lacquer thinner first. Of course, I
think the "magical ingredient" is a piece of buckshot embedded in the
wood long ago... Of course, as you know, most buckshot is lead--but
you can also get steel--which is supposedly better for the waterfowl
that you miss and is required in some locals, IIRC (I used to sell the
stuff--no ducks to my name).

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Maybe you have to soak the oak in lacquer thinner first. Of course, I
think the "magical ingredient" is a piece of buckshot embedded in the
wood long ago... Of course, as you know, most buckshot is lead--but
you can also get steel--which is supposedly better for the waterfowl
that you miss and is required in some locals, IIRC (I used to sell the
stuff--no ducks to my name).

Right. Wouldn't want the ducks to die of lead poisoning.

The hazard of lead shot in the environment has been pretty-much debunked.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.

But if you then cut oak, won't that rust ... or explode ... or something??

:-J

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

What is this thing about Oak? I use lots of it and am planning to get a DC
sometime. Need to get the electric hook up first. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.

But if you then cut oak, won't that rust ... or explode ... or something??

:-J

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

What is this thing about Oak? I use lots of it and am planning to get a DC
sometime. Need to get the electric hook up first. WW

It all started in the "Motor Reversing" thread back in October:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...afde2d cf0ef5

See post #250 by Josepi (one of the resident dumbasses) and my response in post
#253. Ever since then we've all been very keen to point out the incredible
dangers in messing around with "oak rust"... :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
SBH wrote:
[...]

post #253. Ever since then we've all been very keen to point out the
incredible dangers in messing around with "oak rust"... :-)

Thanks Steve. Got it. WW
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

The devil is probably making me do this =;^}

But apparently things have changed over the past 3-5 years. With 14
posts on dust collection plumbing, and mention of the term "PVC", you
would expect to get at least one "Yur gonna blow yurself all to hell"
comment.

We must be smarter or just mellowing.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.

But if you then cut oak, won't that rust ... or explode ... or something??

If you use WD-40 on it...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 02:10:52 -0500, Bill wrote:

SBH wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.

But if you then cut oak, won't that rust ... or explode ... or something??

Maybe the sawdust will turn into Koa?

Let us know when you save up a 2"x4'x8' slab of it, will ya?
How's the grain?

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:46:53 -0500, Bill wrote:

SBH wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.

ding, ding, ding Duct grounding thread reengaged...

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.

I mentioned in another post on this thread, I've been using the
cardboard cores that flooring and carpeting are rolled around. I get
it from free from a flooring outlet. It is mostly 4", sometimes 5".

I've even made 90 degree bends by making 2-45 degree corners with a
short straight section in between, by cutting the pipe on my miter
saw, and glue together with construction glue. That is probably too
much work, but it does work well enough if you are careful.

Still, I am planning to replace with 6" S&D PVC eventually.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Weisgram" wrote in message

I mentioned in another post on this thread, I've been using the
cardboard cores that flooring and carpeting are rolled around. I get
it from free from a flooring outlet. It is mostly 4", sometimes 5".

I've even made 90 degree bends by making 2-45 degree corners with a
short straight section in between, by cutting the pipe on my miter
saw, and glue together with construction glue. That is probably too
much work, but it does work well enough if you are careful.

Still, I am planning to replace with 6" S&D PVC eventually.

(slaps forehead)...damn, I could've had a V8, er, I mean, that's a good
idea. I had to pick up some carpet tubes for a project at work and it didn't
even dawn on me. Even if for straight runs, which I have several of, it's a
good idea. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is the best price I have found.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/D50.html

You just reminded me that I need another length. :-)

Deb

SBH wrote:

Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:48:32 -0600, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

This is the best price I have found.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/D50.html

You just reminded me that I need another length. :-)

I got some when it was $30. It works just fine, but it has a life of
its own when you play with gates. I had to air out the piece before
bringing it into the shop (strong plasticky smell) since my shop is
keyed to my house HVAC.

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.
-- Jimmy Wales
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 30, 6:29*pm, "SBH" wrote:
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection
hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water
drain hoses?

Thanks

I got a short length of this when I bought my Grizzly collector to see
what it was like:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-...ble-Hose/G2868

I just purchased another 10 and a 20 foot length after I had a chance
to check out the original purchase. It looks like it is going to be
durable; and the interior surface is smoother than some of the more
bellows-like hoses.

BTW -- Bill Pentz is well respected for his research and design of
dust collection systems. He seems to support the use of hard PVC
plumbing components, especially for home shops, if reasonable
grounding and cleanliness measures are taken. Read down into the body
of this:

http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking...m#PVCConfusion

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 20:42:45 -0800 (PST), RonB wrote:

On Dec 30, 6:29*pm, "SBH" wrote:
[...]

The problem I've had with PVC is the fittings don't work on any pipe I've
found. DC parts are bad enough (I'm told there are only one or two makers and
all their tooling is shot) but the normal PVC conversion parts are really bad.
There is about a 1/4" gap between schedule-20 pipe and common (outside)
PVC-hose fitting.

I did find one adapter from Rockler that works by fitting inside the pipe, but
it's sorta expensive (for what it is) and I'd rather not restrict the airflow.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20383

How do others fit this stuff together so it works?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 30, 6:29*pm, "SBH" wrote:
[...]

If the part is too big to fit the PVC, I cut slits in the end of it
and put a hose clamp around it.

PVC can be made to stretch larger (or even smaller) by heating (say
with a heat gun) it until it gets flexible, but do it in a well
ventilated area because it gives off toxic fumes.

By the way, if you go to a carpet outlet, you may be able to get 8' x
4" cardboard tubes for free.

The only problem with all this is that 4" is really too narrow for
efficient collection of the fine stuff that causes health problems -
like lung damage and cancer. You want to maximize airflow to suck that
up before it floats away from the source.

But most of the ports on the equipment is 4", and 4" is the most
common size used by most people. And since filter bags on dust
collectors tend to let the real fine stuff go right through them, you
really should get a good respirator and use it all the time. Or get a
cyclone with fine filters.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 30, 6:29*pm, "SBH" wrote:
[...]

This stuff isn't even close. I was thinking about filling the gap with RTV
but I really didn't want to make permanent connections.

I've found that equipment manufacturers aren't consistent, either. My
Unisaw's dust port is quite a different size than the port on my DeWalt
planer.

PVC can be made to stretch larger (or even smaller) by heating (say
with a heat gun) it until it gets flexible, but do it in a well
ventilated area because it gives off toxic fumes.

By the way, if you go to a carpet outlet, you may be able to get 8' x
4" cardboard tubes for free.

I hadn't thought of that.

The only problem with all this is that 4" is really too narrow for
efficient collection of the fine stuff that causes health problems -
like lung damage and cancer. You want to maximize airflow to suck that
up before it floats away from the source.

But most of the ports on the equipment is 4", and 4" is the most
common size used by most people. And since filter bags on dust
collectors tend to let the real fine stuff go right through them, you
really should get a good respirator and use it all the time. Or get a
cyclone with fine filters.

My DC has a 6" port with a 2x4" 'Y'. I could plumb for 6" but that gets
expensive. I'd have to neck down to 4" to the tool anyway.

My DC is supposed to have 1u bags on it. I'm not about to use a respirator
whenever I'm working. I'd rather give up the hobby.

Of Shower Hoses Terry Fields UK diy 2 November 7th 10 12:27 PM
Car water hoses brass monkey UK diy 82 July 12th 10 11:26 PM
Soaker hoses? Percival P. Cassidy[_2_] Home Repair 14 May 31st 09 08:10 PM
5 yrs on washer hoses? Todd Home Repair 19 November 29th 08 01:25 AM
Compressor Hoses Patrick Fischer Woodworking 21 July 30th 05 04:23 AM