Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable 371k sander

Lowes has this sander on clearance for $80 but I read a few older reviews
that stated there is a serious heat problem that develops very quickly. Has
this problem been addressed in newer models? Is it worth $80?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Neal" wrote in message
Lowes has this sander on clearance for $80 but I read a few older
reviews that stated there is a serious heat problem that develops
very quickly. Has this problem been addressed in newer models? Is it
worth $80?

Neal,

I just purchased mine a couple of months back and although only lightly
used, I never noticed a heat problem.

Don't be fooled by it's size, this sander can make a lot of sawdust -
quickly. I live in Syracuse, NY and Syracuse Industrial carries a
complete selection of belts (2-1/2"x14") for it. The big box stores
only had a couple of grits available in this belt size.

Well worth the asking price.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

BobS wrote:

I just purchased mine a couple of months back and although only
lightly used, I never noticed a heat problem.

Don't be fooled by it's size, this sander can make a lot of sawdust -
quickly. I live in Syracuse, NY and Syracuse Industrial carries a
complete selection of belts (2-1/2"x14") for it. The big box stores
only had a couple of grits available in this belt size.

Well worth the asking price.

Hey Bob:

Hadn't seen you around here in a while. We still have to get together for a
cup of coffee. Maybe a trip up to Lakeshore...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2010 7:19 PM, BobS wrote:
Gotta love it. Neither has used the 371k sander and they both think
it's a toy. It's bigger than any router bits either of you own, does
that make your router bits all toy's? C'mon guy's, give advice when
you know what in the hell you're talking about. At least go to the
store and pick one up before being the tool expert.

I do own the little beast and find it handy for lots of things.
It does get warm, but, with that much motor in a small package,
understandably so.

A "toy" it is not ... tell that to the table tops and glued up panels
I've flattened with it.

Use quality belts and it works a treat ... like any other tool, you
gotta have enough uncommon sense to know how to get the best out it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
BobS wrote:

I just purchased mine a couple of months back and although only
lightly used, I never noticed a heat problem.

Don't be fooled by it's size, this sander can make a lot of
sawdust -
quickly. I live in Syracuse, NY and Syracuse Industrial carries a
complete selection of belts (2-1/2"x14") for it. The big box stores
only had a couple of grits available in this belt size.

Well worth the asking price.

Hey Bob:

Hadn't seen you around here in a while. We still have to get
together for a cup of coffee. Maybe a trip up to Lakeshore...

--

-Mike-

Mike...

Just saw your reply today. Maybe we can get together in the New
Year....

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

BobS wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Hey Bob:

Hadn't seen you around here in a while. We still have to get
together for a cup of coffee. Maybe a trip up to Lakeshore...

Mike...

Just saw your reply today. Maybe we can get together in the New
Year....

Bob S.

Sure thing. Drop me an email and we'll make plans.

--

-Mike-