Posted to rec.woodworking

Default separator

My steel trash can separator is giving up the ghost.
It just constantly compressing under the suction.

Will fiber be rigid enough, or should I just go to a 30gal steel drum.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
mpressing under the suction.

My fiber drum has been sitting under a shed on three bricks for over
10 years and it still works fine. It had a metal lid into which I put
two elbows aimed in opposite directions. Works like a charm unless I
forget to empty it when it is full.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

This is a test. Had it been an actual
attack, the warning system wouldn't
have worked.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

My steel trash can separator is giving up the ghost.
It just constantly compressing under the suction.

Will fiber be rigid enough, or should I just go to a 30gal steel drum.

I'd take a nail and a hammer and puncture a hole in the steel trash can to
serve as a "bleeding valve". Keep some chewing gum handy in case you
really need 100.00000 % suction.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
My steel trash can separator is giving up the ghost.
It just constantly compressing under the suction.

Will fiber be rigid enough, or should I just go to a 30gal steel drum.

No need to change. Make about 3 plywood "hoops" or ribs to shove down
inside the can to keep it from caving in. 4 or more stringers running top
to bottom could be necessary, but probably not needed.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote

Thanks, I had thought about that. But wasn't sure if it was worth
pursuing.

What'ya got to lose? 30 minutes and some scraps?

Go for it. I'll betcha it works.

Cut the inside with the bandsaw, too. Add a little glue where you cut
through to the middle and tack it back together.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 17:49:39 -0500, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

My steel trash can separator is giving up the ghost.
It just constantly compressing under the suction.

Will fiber be rigid enough, or should I just go to a 30gal steel drum.

It is, until you turn on the vac with all the gates closed and it
folds up like origami. DAMHIKT

I have a steel drum now. If I forget to open a gate the flex hose
between the cyclone and my 2-1/2" duct running along the wall shrinks
down and one end of the not so light steel drum full of saw dust lifts
off the ground.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My steel trash can separator is giving up the ghost.
It just constantly compressing under the suction.

Will fiber be rigid enough, or should I just go to a 30gal steel drum.

I use a fiber drum with plywood top..
It's been working for years with no problem..

I've never tried it with all the gates closed, maybe it would
collaspe.. dunno..
OTOH, why would I run the DC with all the gates closed? lol
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 4:49*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
My steel trash can separator is giving up the ghost.
It just constantly compressing under the suction.

Will fiber be rigid enough, or should I just go to a 30gal steel drum.

Came late to the party, but others have chewed around the edge of my
question . . . Are you using a DC or a shop vac? I doubt a DC wou;ld
collapse it even with all gates closed.
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On this particular unit a vac. It's for my small machines with small ports.

On 12/25/2010 2:25 PM, Nahmie wrote:
On Dec 21, 4:49 pm, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com wrote:
My steel trash can separator is giving up the ghost.
It just constantly compressing under the suction.

Will fiber be rigid enough, or should I just go to a 30gal steel drum.

Came late to the party, but others have chewed around the edge of my
question . . . Are you using a DC or a shop vac? I doubt a DC wou;ld
collapse it even with all gates closed.
Norm

Scouring of DC separator C & E Woodworking 6 March 24th 06 05:45 PM
Cyclone Separator Frank A. Woodworking 0 December 26th 05 02:29 AM
Well, I put the trash can separator on top of the DC! Toller Woodworking 14 November 30th 05 03:59 AM
FA Cyclone Separator [email protected] Woodworking 0 November 25th 05 11:02 PM
Air separator MattG UK diy 2 November 16th 03 11:01 AM