Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Furniture restoration

I have an old White's sewing machine. Some say to strip it and redo it.
I'm more for a light sanding, some staining and dark staining of gouges and
then a light finish coat of clear. Or two.

Either way, this brand is not going to be significantly improved in value
with a full on restoration.

My wife's hall tree wood hat/coat rack needs some work, both straightening
and finding one missing hat/coat hanger. It's very sentimental to us, and
I'd like it to look nice, yet keep it looking old, as to make it new would
destroy it's ambience.

When it comes to furniture restoring, where's the line?

I see all the time where TV shows say that "restoring" furniture devalues it
sometimes by 75%.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have an old White's sewing machine. Some say to strip it and redo it.
I'm more for a light sanding, some staining and dark staining of gouges
and then a light finish coat of clear. Or two.

Either way, this brand is not going to be significantly improved in value
with a full on restoration.

My wife's hall tree wood hat/coat rack needs some work, both straightening
and finding one missing hat/coat hanger. It's very sentimental to us, and
I'd like it to look nice, yet keep it looking old, as to make it new would
destroy it's ambience.

When it comes to furniture restoring, where's the line?

I see all the time where TV shows say that "restoring" furniture devalues
it sometimes by 75%.

Steve

If it is a serious antique, yes, it can be ruined monetarily. If it is just
an old piece of furniture, it may take the value from $5 to $20. If you
suspect it is a Chippendale or the like, get it appraised first. If it is
flea market quality, just move on as you see fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Always fully restore properly. A half ass job will devalue.
Furniture should be kept up to the best possible condition.
Especially if it is valuable. But properly restored.

If it is just sentimental, do it yourself. If it is a valuable many 10s
of thousands, bring it to a restorer if you can't properly restore it.

On 12/20/2010 1:23 AM, Steve B wrote:
I have an old White's sewing machine. Some say to strip it and redo it.
I'm more for a light sanding, some staining and dark staining of gouges and
then a light finish coat of clear. Or two.

Either way, this brand is not going to be significantly improved in value
with a full on restoration.

My wife's hall tree wood hat/coat rack needs some work, both straightening
and finding one missing hat/coat hanger. It's very sentimental to us, and
I'd like it to look nice, yet keep it looking old, as to make it new would
destroy it's ambience.

When it comes to furniture restoring, where's the line?

I see all the time where TV shows say that "restoring" furniture devalues it
sometimes by 75%.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 12:23*am, "Steve B" wrote:

I have an old White's sewing machine. *Some say to strip it and redo it..
I'm more for a light sanding, some staining and dark staining of gouges and
then a light finish coat of clear. *Or two.

I wouldn't worry about an old White's sewing machine cabinet. Circa
1950's, perhaps? I know there were some nicely made machine/cabinet
combos out there at that time.

The problem with just sanding is that you don't get the contaminants
away from the new finish. If is almost surely old lacquer of some
sort, and that means it will crumble into dust when you sand it. You
can clean all you want, and you probably will still have those nibs in
your finish.

My second concern would be the contamination of the new finish
itself. Back until about the 70's, "fast dry" lacquers were used in
finishing items such as tables, chairs, cabinets, etc.

My personal experience has been that if you don't remove them
entirely, they will re-dissolve into your new finish. Today's newer
finishes have strong, powerful combinations of solvents in them that
will allow them to actually dissolve old finishes. This will cause
discoloration, streaking, etc., in your newly finished cabinet.

Strip it, sand it, finish it. Done.

Besides, those old finishes are so thin you would spend more time
doing a great sanding job than just stripping it off. Some of them
will bubble up directly behind the applicator!

Good luck!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:07:35 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 20, 12:23Â*am, "Steve B" wrote:

I have an old White's sewing machine. Â*Some say to strip it and redo it.
I'm more for a light sanding, some staining and dark staining of gouges and
then a light finish coat of clear. Â*Or two.

[...]

If it is an old White Treadle machine case (White, Raymond, Singer,
and many others built very similar cabinets) MANY were finished with
shellac and can be "refinished" using nothing more than Methyl
Alchohol and pads of clean burlap.

Or you can use Circa Furniture Finish Restorer.(at about 10 times the
price)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Do you have a reference for that product? I can't seem to find it with
Google. I can find a bunch of "Circa 1850" brand products but not a
"Circa Furniture Finish Restorer" and searching without "Circa" gets a
huge number of hits that aren't it. The "Circa 1850" web site doesn't
have anything by that name either that I could find.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Probably a Canuck product that isn't sold in your parts. It is found almost
everywhere here.

I have found this to be very true, usually in the opposite sense. USanians
can buy all kinds of chemical products the Canuckistanis can't. Look for
equivalents.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
Do you have a reference for that product? I can't seem to find it with
Google. I can find a bunch of "Circa 1850" brand products but not a
"Circa Furniture Finish Restorer" and searching without "Circa" gets a
huge number of hits that aren't it. The "Circa 1850" web site doesn't
have anything by that name either that I could find.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

I would first clean it with denatured alcohol and keep cleaning it until the
cleaning rags come up clean. After it drys do a test sanding and see how
much of the old finish is left. If the paper gums up then strip it and then
sand it.
Old and new sewing machines, require oiling with the oil bing spilled
dripped etc. all over the place. More than likely pledge or something
similar was used on it. I would recommend useing an anti fisheye product in
any stain, sanding sealer and clear finish.

Good luck
Joe M.
"Steve B" wrote in message
I have an old White's sewing machine. Some say to strip it and redo it.
I'm more for a light sanding, some staining and dark staining of gouges and
then a light finish coat of clear. Or two.

Either way, this brand is not going to be significantly improved in value
with a full on restoration.

My wife's hall tree wood hat/coat rack needs some work, both straightening
and finding one missing hat/coat hanger. It's very sentimental to us, and
I'd like it to look nice, yet keep it looking old, as to make it new would
destroy it's ambience.

When it comes to furniture restoring, where's the line?

I see all the time where TV shows say that "restoring" furniture devalues
it sometimes by 75%.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:54:28 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Minwax antique furniture refinisher works too. I've used both.
Looks like the Circa product is no longer on the market.

The Minwax can I have says it contains acetone, toluene and methanol
IIRC the Circa stuff was a little "hotter" and worked a bit faster. I
bought my last can of Circa about 2 or 3 years ago, and this can of
Minwax when I ran out in the middle of a project. About $12 a liter
back then.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:54:28 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]