Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Weekend Edition 11

These items were all sent in to me.

43. I don't know what this one is:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/pic43.jpg

44. The large end is hollow and has a small screw-on cap:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/pic44.jpg

You can test your memory on these last two since they were posted on the
site a while ago:

45. Around 6 or 7 inches long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/pic45.jpg

46. 34" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/pic46.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 11:25*am, "Rob H." wrote:
These items were all sent in to me.

43. I don't know what this one is:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/pic43.jpg

44. The large end is hollow and has a small screw-on cap:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/pic44.jpg

You can test your memory on these last two since they were posted on the
site a while ago:

45. Around 6 or 7 inches long:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/pic45.jpg

46. 34" long:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/pic46.jpg

46 is a "hay harpoon", punched into loose hay on a wagon, then the
handle turns the point sideways & ropes/pulleys hoist hay into mow.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

46 is a "hay harpoon", punched into loose hay on a wagon, then the
handle turns the point sideways & ropes/pulleys hoist hay into mow.

Correct
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote in message
43 I'll make a quick wild guess that this is a well-pipe retriever. It
looks like it might go into a pipe, and when twisted, jam to pull the pipe
out.

Someone had sent this to me quite a while ago, I've shown it to a few people
but no one knew what it was, I think this is first guess that I've heard for
it. I'll pass it along to the owner. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Rob H." wrote:

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote in message
43 I'll make a quick wild guess that this is a well-pipe retriever. It
looks like it might go into a pipe, and when twisted, jam to pull the pipe
out.

Someone had sent this to me quite a while ago, I've shown it to a few people
but no one knew what it was, I think this is first guess that I've heard for
it. I'll pass it along to the owner. Thanks

It doesn't look strong enough to grab a pipe from the inside securely.

My guess is that it is used to clean the inside of a pipe, perhaos by
breaking the rust loose. Are the tops of the bolts that stick out worn?

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Someone had sent this to me quite a while ago, I've shown it to a few
people
but no one knew what it was, I think this is first guess that I've heard
for
it. I'll pass it along to the owner. Thanks

It doesn't look strong enough to grab a pipe from the inside securely.

My guess is that it is used to clean the inside of a pipe, perhaos by
breaking the rust loose. Are the tops of the bolts that stick out worn?

Joe Gwinn

I don't know if they are worn or not, this was sent to me a year or two ago,
too long ago to find the email and ask the owner about it. Maybe if he
reads the newsgroups he will answer your question.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 12/22/10 5:41 PM, Rob H. wrote:
Someone had sent this to me quite a while ago, I've shown it to a few
people
but no one knew what it was, I think this is first guess that I've
heard for
it. I'll pass it along to the owner. Thanks

It doesn't look strong enough to grab a pipe from the inside securely.

My guess is that it is used to clean the inside of a pipe, perhaos by
breaking the rust loose. Are the tops of the bolts that stick out worn?

Joe Gwinn

I don't know if they are worn or not, this was sent to me a year or two
ago, too long ago to find the email and ask the owner about it. Maybe if
he reads the newsgroups he will answer your question.

Rob

I wonder if the bolts kept brake linings from slipping. Could it be the
shoe assembly of a self-actuating brake to keep the wheel of a hand cart
from rolling backward?

With a two-wheeled cart, a man might move a ton on a firm, level
surface, but not up a steep slope such as a gangway or creek bank. If
each wheel had an automatic brake, swinging the handles from side to
side would push the load up the slope with a mechanical advantage of
(the distance from the handle to the braking hub) divided by (half the
wheelbase).