Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TS Accessory Suggestions

The owner of a Rigid contractor's saw has been generous in allowing
its use. In appreciation, my thought is to add some accessories for
the season.

For my own purposes, I've already equipped it with a digital height
gauge,
Rockler featherboard and miter-slot caliper mount. It has the factory
miter
guage and fence and the table is a durable plastic.

A trip to Rockler gave a clue to the wealth of items available but
decision making
would benefit from your experienced analysis of possible complements.
Cost remains
less an issue than value.

Thanks,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cost remains
less an issue than value.

Thanks,

EH

A nice Freud saw blade or two.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:08:53 -0800, Edward Hennessey wrote:

It has the factory
miter
guage and fence and the table is a durable plastic.

A trip to Rockler gave a clue to the wealth of items available but
decision making
would benefit from your experienced analysis of possible complements.

You'll probably get lots of suggestions, but since it still has the
factory miter gauge I'd go with:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...A-Miter-Gauge-
V120.aspx#Information

I've had one for a year or two now and I'm very satisfied with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:32:44 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

Cost remains less an issue than value.

A nice Freud saw blade or two.

I picked up a 7-1/4" Freud combo blade about 6 months ago and am
finding it a very good value. It is the slim li'l guy but it has
outlasted the HF blades by about 3x so far, and it's still sharp. It
was ten bucks vs. the $1.50-$3 HF blades.

I was angle-ripping some sopping wet DF tubasixes this morning and had
some trouble with the thin blade, but it still cut the crap like
butter. My illustrious lumber supplier left my order, including two
sheets of CDX ply, out in the rain last night. (at 4:30am, the rain
was heavy enough to overflow my leaf-filled gutters) Not only was my
plywood soaked, all the lumber was at least ten pounds heavier per
stick.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
The owner of a Rigid contractor's saw has been generous in allowing
its use. In appreciation, my thought is to add some accessories for the
season.

For my own purposes, I've already equipped it with a digital height gauge,
Rockler featherboard and miter-slot caliper mount. It has the factory
miter
guage and fence and the table is a durable plastic.

A trip to Rockler gave a clue to the wealth of items available but
decision making
would benefit from your experienced analysis of possible complements. Cost
remains
less an issue than value.

Thanks,

EH

A little pricey but a valuable tool, the Dubby cross cut sled, does all 0-45
angles very accurately

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Cost remains
less an issue than value.

Thanks,

EH

A nice Freud saw blade or two.

I second this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Cost remains
less an issue than value.

Thanks,

EH

A nice Freud saw blade or two.

I second this.

Thanks to SP, LJ and CW for the acclamation of the blades. I've been
running a Frued Diablo on the
unit for general purposes. A trip to Amazon showed a real spread of
blades across differing configurations
and prices. It was a bit bewildering. I have heard the saw will be
involved in fabricating some built ins.
Any particular suggestions for that application?

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:08:53 -0800, Edward Hennessey wrote:

It has the factory
miter
guage and fence and the table is a durable plastic.

A trip to Rockler gave a clue to the wealth of items available but
decision making
would benefit from your experienced analysis of possible
complements.

You'll probably get lots of suggestions, but since it still has the
factory miter gauge I'd go with:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...A-Miter-Gauge-
V120.aspx#Information

I've had one for a year or two now and I'm very satisfied with it.

LB:

It looks good. So does the 1000SE. It's like deciding between two
neckties
and a few dollars. Thank you.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

L:

I tripped to their page. You probably can better describe how you find
it superior to
more familiar alternatives. If you have a moment for that it would be
appreciated.
It does appear good for panel cutting. Thank you for the pointer.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:33:42 -0800, Edward Hennessey wrote:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

ments.

You'll probably get lots of suggestions, but since it still has the
factory miter gauge I'd go with:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...A-Miter-Gauge-
V120.aspx#Information

It looks good. So does the 1000SE. It's like deciding between two
neckties and a few dollars. Thank you.

The V120 has a notch every degree. The 1000SE does have the fancy fence
but it uses the V27 which only has notches every 5 degrees plus 22.5. For
example, a 5 sided figure is 36 degrees 10 sides are 18 15 sides are 12.
The V27 does have a fine adjustment that the V120 lacks.

I noticed someone else mentioned a sled. Great tool but most woodworkers
I know wind up making their own. Make one with a slot for that V120, add
a plywood fence to the V120, and you've got somethings as good as
anything on the market IMNSHO.

Posted to rec.woodworking

involved in fabricating some built ins.
Any particular suggestions for that application?

Well built-ins indicates likely lots of plywood but also possibly
stick wood for edging and doors. I usually buy decidated blades but I
think the Freud P410 Premier Fusion is a good blend of plywood and
stick cutting both rip and cross cut.

Otherwise, if you want dedicated blades I have found the regular or
thin rip Freud LU87R010 better than the glue-line rip. I actually took
my first glueline rip back thinking there must be a bad tooth but the
replacemnt was just as dissapointing. Their dedicated cross cut and
plywood\melamine blades are also good at one thing each (as named).

If you look at the graphic one each blades page (on Amazon) that shows
what a blade is good at the 87 shows "excellent" for rip, cross and
ply. I tend to believe them. The 87 is maybe not quite as good as the
dedicated blades but lots better than any stock blade the guy might
have and three for the price of one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 1:08*pm, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:
The owner of a Rigid contractor's saw has been generous in allowing
its use. In appreciation, my thought is to add some accessories for
the season.

For my own purposes, I've already equipped it with a digital height
gauge,
Rockler featherboard and miter-slot caliper mount. It has the factory
miter
guage and fence and the table is a durable plastic.

A trip to Rockler gave a clue to the wealth of *items available but
decision making
would benefit from your experienced analysis of possible complements.
Cost remains
less an issue than value.

Thanks,

EH

Can't argue with the saw blade suggestions, especially the Freud.

Along similar lines when I need consistent, smooth dados, the Freud
set is great. I have a wobbler too but multi-blade sets are much
smoother.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

RB:

You read my mind on that notion. Having actually read the
manual--which had
one glaring blooper of an illustration on blade changing--it was told
that
wobblers are banned. But a stacked set would work fine.

By the by, the Rigid contractor's saw is not a bad unit save the
problematic guard and splitter. It could have more power but
they had to keep the amps down for 110. Thank you.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. I wonder why they are banned. Vibration?

I have had the wobbler (Craftsman) for 20-30 years and it did seem to
vibrate when used on my old Craftsman contractor-styled saw. Don't
notice it much on the current saw. My first thought was maybe the
arbor wasn't long enough but the stack set uses a lot of threads too.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:42:04 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Well built-ins indicates likely lots of plywood but also possibly stick
wood for edging and doors. I usually buy decidated blades but I think
the Freud P410 Premier Fusion is a good blend of plywood and stick
cutting both rip and cross cut.

The Fusion is a great blade for cross cutting, and darn good on plywood,
but I'm not impressed with it's ripping ability. It might do fine on a
cabinet saw with lots of HP, but on my contractor saw it bogged down. I
put in my Freud thin kerf rip blade and it cut the same wood (8/4 alder)
with no problem.