Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ridgid Dust Collector

When did Ridgid discontinue these and were they any good?

I might have an opportunity to buy one, and I only use one tool at a time
but my shop vac doesn't keep up very well. I have been considering an
Oneida Dust Deputy but, there again, I suspect that if the shop vac isn't
keeping up with the tool, the cyclone won't improve it, only save me from
emptying the vac as often.

Thanks, Ralph

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ralph" wrote in
m:

When did Ridgid discontinue these and were they any good?

I might have an opportunity to buy one, and I only use one
tool at a time but my shop vac doesn't keep up very well.
I have been considering an Oneida Dust Deputy but, there
again, I suspect that if the shop vac isn't keeping up with
the tool, the cyclone won't improve it, only save me from
emptying the vac as often.

Thanks, Ralph

I have three Dust Deputys hooked to shop vacuums. (Too much
mobility and no room for a central syatem) The problem I had was
fine saw dust quickly plugging the filter cartridges. As soon as
the cartridge is layered with fine dust, the suction level
rapidly drops. I've emptied the 5-gallon buckets on the Dust
Deputys several times and had no dust at all in the vacuum tanks
or on the filters. They work much better than I had expected. I
modified the buckets to make opening and empting them easier.
Pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking a while back. The
biggest downside is the hose to the vacuum makes them top-heavy.

Ken
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ralph" wrote in
m:

When did Ridgid discontinue these and were they any good?

I might have an opportunity to buy one, and I only use one
tool at a time but my shop vac doesn't keep up very well.
I have been considering an Oneida Dust Deputy but, there
again, I suspect that if the shop vac isn't keeping up with
the tool, the cyclone won't improve it, only save me from
emptying the vac as often.

Thanks, Ralph

I don't know when they quit making them but I've got one I
purchased at a garage sale for a pretty good price. It works
fairly good but when it gets over half full you need to empty
it. If you don't the top bag will blow off and you can imagine
the mess it makes. DAMHIKT

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Ralph wrote:
When did Ridgid discontinue these and were they any good?

I might have an opportunity to buy one, and I only use one tool at a
time but my shop vac doesn't keep up very well. I have been considering
an Oneida Dust Deputy but, there again, I suspect that if the shop vac
isn't keeping up with the tool, the cyclone won't improve it, only save
me from emptying the vac as often.

Not used either but it is certainly true that adding a cyclone will only
reduce airflow, not enhance it. If you're already short on
cfm/velocity, adding the separator won't be any magic cure...