Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Coping crown molding

A recent discussion included what looked like a portable bandsaw being used
for coping crown molding, I remember seeing this coping foot attachment for
jigsaws. I was wondering if anyone owned or has used such a device and their
opinions on it?

http://www.atlas-machinery.com/produ...r-Bosch-Jigsaw

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 05:39:16 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone owned or has used such a device and their
opinions on it?

I haven't owned one or used one but my opinion is that cutting from
the back side will likely cause tear out on the front. If you look at
his picture in close-up mode you can see it's doing just that. As
long as the crown is going to paint it might not be a big deal.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well.... I don't get this at all.

To me, the trick to a good trim job is to use pieces as long as
possible, with as few cuts or joints as one can get. I am trying to
imagine manipulating a piece of crown 8 - 12' long (or longer if you
are lucky) against a band saw blade with the precision one needs to
cope an inside corner on a piece of molding.

Is the band saw described used on regular crown molding to ceiling
effects on projects like kitchens, livingrooms, etc.? Is this a
different kind of molding than I am envisioning? A different kind of
band saw or blade arrangement than one normally sees?

All I have ever used is a coping saw. I am guessing there is
something afoot here from those guys that are selling the crown
molding installation systems on T.V.

Yes? No?

Inquiring minds, guys....

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't agree. Tearout will be toward the back, since the blade is
pulling toward the back.

I have not used one.

And I don't understand why you would want one for a band saw.

wrote:

I was wondering if anyone owned or has used such a device and their
opinions on it?

I haven't owned one or used one but my opinion is that cutting from
the back side will likely cause tear out on the front. If you look at
his picture in close-up mode you can see it's doing just that. As
long as the crown is going to paint it might not be a big deal.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Back = downstream of the blade teeth travel.

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
I don't agree. Tearout will be toward the back, since the blade is
pulling toward the back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 7:10*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:

Looks like a clever little thing, but I suspect that the
dual unguarded blade sections will have OSHA throwing conniptions and I
do wonder whether it brings enough to the game to justify the price,
whatever that price might be.

I was watching how carefully held the machine. Then I realized he
was cutting completely freehand, guiding the machine while supporting
the weight of the machine. All that with a fully exposed blade on two
different sides!

Crap. Talk about an accident waiting to happen. Not to mention, a
learning curve to balance the thing. And now the necessity to clamp
the material.

When I cut the small stuff like he showed in the video, I mash/hand
clamp the molding on the the sawhorse with my left hand, and cut with
my right.

I don't see how this would be any faster, and certainly not any safer.

Thanks for the video link.

Robert

Coping vs. Mitering Crown Molding KJS Home Repair 3 April 1st 08 06:25 PM
Coping a crown molding with a dentil profile Perry Templeton Woodworking 8 November 10th 06 05:46 PM
Crown Molding ladybug Home Repair 1 September 29th 06 05:55 AM
Rotozip for coping crown molding eganders Woodworking 13 January 25th 06 12:26 PM
Coping molding with a router David Woodworking 0 September 9th 04 09:56 PM