Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting down strip nails-anyone try this?

I purchased a variety pack of 18 ga. stainless brads with 1", 1 1/4",
1 1/2", and 2" lengths. When I received it I then remembered that my
nailer can only use up to 1 1/4". I am considering clamping the
strips between 2 pieces of wood and using an angle grinder with a
cutoff wheel and cutting them down to lengths that I can use. Has
anyone tried this?
Thanks for your input,
Gene
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:43:05 -0800 (PST), GeneT
wrote:

I purchased a variety pack of 18 ga. stainless brads with 1", 1 1/4",
1 1/2", and 2" lengths. When I received it I then remembered that my
nailer can only use up to 1 1/4". I am considering clamping the
strips between 2 pieces of wood and using an angle grinder with a
cutoff wheel and cutting them down to lengths that I can use. Has
anyone tried this?

Yes, I've done that, but freehand. I bought the wrong brads for my HF
nailer and needed them that day, so I took the strip to the belt
sandah and cut 1/8" off. It took about 5 minutes to do 3 strips of
brads for the project. That's when I found out that the 5gal pig of
air would do about 150 brads or staples before needing a refill
(117psi down to 50psi.)

I still had 90% of the package left when I upgraded to a
stapler/nailer which took longer brads.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I purchased a variety pack of 18 ga. stainless brads with 1", 1 1/4",
1 1/2", and 2" lengths. When I received it I then remembered that my
nailer can only use up to 1 1/4".

Oops, forgot something. Go swap the nailer for the stapler/nailer.
$20 http://fwd4.me/q3C

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I purchased a variety pack of 18 ga. stainless brads with 1", 1 1/4",
1 1/2", and 2" lengths. When I received it I then remembered that my
nailer can only use up to 1 1/4".

Oops, forgot something. Go swap the nailer for the stapler/nailer.
$20 http://fwd4.me/q3C

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

I bought that, yesterday and it's a decent gun.
I bought this one a couple months ago when it was on sale for 20 bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-16-gauge-air-finish-nailer-18-gauge-stapler-66902.html
I'm using it, right now, on some flooring, and already finished a large
flooring project about a month ago. It's doing a fine job... no
problems, so far.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GeneT" wrote in message
I purchased a variety pack of 18 ga. stainless brads with 1", 1 1/4",
1 1/2", and 2" lengths. When I received it I then remembered that my
nailer can only use up to 1 1/4". I am considering clamping the
strips between 2 pieces of wood and using an angle grinder with a
cutoff wheel and cutting them down to lengths that I can use. Has
anyone tried this?
Thanks for your input,
Gene

I used tin snips one day this summer. I made 3/4" from 1".

Bob

cutting though 18 gauge nails? Toller Woodworking 9 August 29th 06 04:00 AM
Cutting Nails & Screws Nodge UK diy 18 June 27th 06 01:13 AM
Cutting aluminum with carbide wood cutting blade on tablesaw mc Woodworking 17 March 1st 06 06:20 AM
MS Safety - cutting thin-strip miters (whew!) Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 11 January 26th 05 05:04 AM
Removing Carpet Tack Strip Nails Kyle Boatright Home Repair 3 April 5th 04 12:26 AM