Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nodge

Default Cutting Nails & Screws

I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Nodge

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Nodge wrote:
I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

Dremel works well.
The cut-off-wheels work well, and are not solely for polishing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:41:02 GMT, "Nodge" wrote:

I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Nodge

You want a Dremel clone with a miniature cutting disc in it.
Like a miniature angle grinder.

B&Q might have one of theirs in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nodge wrote:
I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty
nails and screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they
are in a position which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure
I've seen something on TV which did the job easily using a small
rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look at the multi tools (Dremel etc)
which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC actually) but the bits seem
more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Nodge

Yet another task for the Dremmel.
The course disc are for the cutting and should work well.
You'll find other uses for this drill when the time comes. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:41:02 GMT, "Nodge" wrote:

|I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
|screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
|which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
|which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
|at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
|actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.
|
|Can anyone recommend anything?

Small angle grinders, various makes, will eat the job even though you may
have to work at an angle. Beware that after you have done the job, you
will probably have to make good the surface.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

on 23/06/2006, Nodge supposed :
I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Nodge

What about an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade, could you
get that in?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On 23 Jun 2006 18:56:53 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Nodge wrote:
I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

Dremel works well.
The cut-off-wheels work well, and are not solely for polishing.

Just don't accept any crappy Chinese etc. substitutes.

I bought one which turned out to be so feeble it literally did not
have a use on this earth.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

wrote:

Dremel works well.
The cut-off-wheels work well, and are not solely for polishing.

Just don't accept any crappy Chinese etc. substitutes.

I bought one which turned out to be so feeble it literally did not
have a use on this earth.

Been there, done that... however TBH I did find one use for it: sanding
down a verruca prior to annointing it with medication - it just about
coped with that!!

(too much information for a Saturday morning maybe? ;-) )

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark S.

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:41:02 GMT, "Nodge" wrote:

I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Nodge

Dremel but with some reinforced cut off discs off Ebay as the ones
they use are brittle and rubbish really.

I'll have to admit the most used job mine has been tasked with is
cutting the steel wires on the inside rim of old tyres so i can take
them to the tip (skip provided there) rather than pay to have them
taken off and disposed of.

Mark S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Nodge wrote:
I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Nodge

Dremel and a 'cut off' disk

Or angle grinder..
You can just by a dremel spindle and cutoff disk and use it ina small
drill as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Mark S. wrote:
[...]

Ive got a crappy chinese one and use it all the time..for model making.
Will cut thin wires and bolts, and extract the interior of many heavy
things that need lightening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nodge wrote:

Can anyone recommend anything?

Fein Multimaster with a metal cutting blade. Too expensive to buy just
for this job, but one of the random things it is very good for if you
happen to have one anyway - or need an excuse to buy one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Nodge wrote:
I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

Can anyone recommend anything?

A cheap angle grinder (less that 15 Pounds) and a metal cutting disk.
As the nails/screws will be behind/inside of the new window frame, there
will be no need for a 'make good' after they are chopped off. You can
cut into the brick to put the old fasteners below the level of the new
window and make good anything that will be visible after the window is
installed.

HTH

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nodge wrote:

Can anyone recommend anything?

A cold chisel should work quick enough as well, or even just banging
them about with a hammer until they snap, and then whacking any remains
so they are sunk into the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dave wrote:
Nodge wrote:
[...]

If he can get at it with a small hacksaw,what chance has he with a grinder
wheel?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:27:52 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

|Dave wrote:
| Nodge wrote:
| I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty
| nails and screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they
| are in a position which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure
| I've seen something on TV which did the job easily using a small
| rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look at the multi tools (Dremel
| etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC actually) but the
| bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.
|
| Can anyone recommend anything?
|
| A cheap angle grinder (less that 15 Pounds) and a metal cutting disk.
| As the nails/screws will be behind/inside of the new window frame,
| there will be no need for a 'make good' after they are chopped off.
| You can cut into the brick to put the old fasteners below the level
| of the new window and make good anything that will be visible after
| the window is installed.

|If he can get at it with a small hacksaw,what chance has he with a grinder
|wheel?

Use it at an angle, but then it will definitely mark the wall and making
good will be necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Nodge wrote:
I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface and they are in a position
which is hard to get to with a hacksaw. I'm sure I've seen something on TV
which did the job easily using a small rotary disc. Just been to B&Q to look
at the multi tools (Dremel etc) which I thought was what I saw on TV (QVC
actually) but the bits seem more for sanding , grinding & polishing etc.

A hammer. Knock them from side to side a couple of times and they
will break off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Derek ^ wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Nodge wrote:
I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface c.

Dremel works well.

Just don't accept any crappy Chinese etc. substitutes.

I bought one which turned out to be so feeble it literally did not
have a use on this earth.

I hope you took it back for a refund, then. I bought a GBP14.99 one from
A Local DIscount supermarket, with several collets and a flexible drive
shaft. It works very well in some experiments I've done, but I haven't
found a real use for it yet. I suspect these things in general are on
the periphery of usefulness.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
Derek ^ wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Nodge wrote:
I've removed an old window frame and it's left some fairly hefty
nails and
screws which I need to cut flush to the surface c.
Dremel works well.

Just don't accept any crappy Chinese etc. substitutes.

I bought one which turned out to be so feeble it literally did not
have a use on this earth.

I hope you took it back for a refund, then. I bought a GBP14.99 one from
A Local DIscount supermarket, with several collets and a flexible drive
shaft. It works very well in some experiments I've done, but I haven't
found a real use for it yet. I suspect these things in general are on
the periphery of usefulness.

Not if you make model aircraft they ain't..they are SMALL tools for
SMALL jobs, but hey, sometimes a small tool will do a big job if you
take time..I just cut a 2ft 6" slab of 1" thick sandstone paving on a 30
quid tile saw...my poxy dremel-clone will cut through a no 10
woodscrew...in about 15 minutes :-)