Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbe drilling question

I'm assuming that if trying to drill overlapping 3/8" holes in the side
of 2by4 stock, that using forstner bits will be much easier than using
ordinary drill bits. This is true, isn't it?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

I find if I go out and try something and fail,I find a different way to
do it. That' called learning. Aren't you over yeur 'WHY, WHY, WHY,DADDY'
stage in life ??

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I find if I go out and try something and fail,I find a different way to
do it. That' called learning. Aren't you over yeur 'WHY, WHY, WHY?" stage in life ??

Most definitely not! I spend more time failing than succeeding. I'm
lucky doorways are cut taller than I am and are open half the time! : )

I get up in the morning and go to bed at night asking WHY, WHY, WHY!
I doubt I'll outgrow it--at least, I hope not. If I do, I might die.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I find if I go out and try something and fail,I find a different way to
do it. That' called learning. Aren't you over yeur 'WHY, WHY, WHY,DADDY'
stage in life ??

Jerry, the reason for the question was because a family member asked
what I wanted for Christmas. I was thinking of saying a Forstner bit.
My drill press is schedule to arrive in January. Sorry for any
inconvenience.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 01:22:15 -0500, Bill wrote:

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I find if I go out and try something and fail,I find a different way to
do it. That' called learning. Aren't you over yeur 'WHY, WHY, WHY?" stage in life ??

Most definitely not! I spend more time failing than succeeding. I'm
lucky doorways are cut taller than I am and are open half the time! : )

Y'all might be wantin' ta gets you a better attitude, son.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/28/2010 12:27 AM, Bill wrote:

Jerry, the reason for the question was because a family member asked
what I wanted for Christmas. I was thinking of saying a Forstner bit.
My drill press is schedule to arrive in January. Sorry for any
inconvenience.

A set of Forstner bits is nice to have on hand ... one of the items
worthy of buying in "sets".

Forstners work well in a hand held drill also, don't necessarily need a
DP to use them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
In , tiredofspam
says...

let me add to this, make sure you are using an upcut spiral bit so it
clears the waste.

I thought about saying that, but a straight bit will work if he already
has one--may need to make a couple or three passes though.

If Bill is going to go out and buy a spiral bit for this, I'd _strongly_
recommend steel, not carbide--it's one of the few places where I'd make
that recommendation. The reason is that carbide spiral bits are solid
carbide, not steel with carbide flutes, and while they're very hard,
they're also brittle and _real_ easy to bust (and by that I mean into
two or more pieces in a way that is not repairable). Somebody with a
lot of experience with the router and spiral bits can use carbide first
time out, but Bill's trying to learn and for that steel will be more
forgiving. I wish someone had told _me_ that before I busted a few
hundred bucks worth of carbide spiral bits.

FWIW, I already bought a Amana Carbide-tipped 2" plunge bit (#45426).
Swingman gave me a little education on router bits this summer. Someone
else I belive suggested hogging-out some of the wood first. Still seems
like a good idea to me as these are not "upcut" spiral bits.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

It appears that the secret to woodworking is in contemplating, in
advance, and dealing with every single possible thing that could go
wrong!

You forgot "And then proceeding to -do- some of them."

I was just fixin' to get started DOING when I was talked into rewiring
my whole "shop"! : ) Admittedly, I didn't realize, even as I
started, just how much it needed it. In the process, with the help of
the kind folks here I installed a sub-panel, wired 11 electrical boxes,
installed insulation, installed about 500 square feet of drywall, ...,
fixed a RO-water purification system, replace a garbage disposal.
Admittedly, I could do more woodworking if it weren't for my job. One
this is constant--I try to learn something new everyday! Oh, and
I'm not a tool-collector--just like Roy!

BTW, this week I started reading: Tool-Making Projects for Joinery and
Woodworking, by Olesin. Lots of details. Starts off by showing how to
make 3 different kinds of mortising guages, for instance. No
blacksmithing techniques in the book. Advises cutting a circ-saw blade
with a hack-saw to make cutters. Nice book for anyone who wants to do
(perhaps put on your Christmas list?).

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

A set of Forstner bits is nice to have on hand ... one of the items
worthy of buying in "sets".

Thinking that you may be right, I was considering buying the 7-piece set
Freud FC-107 (currently $140):

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FC-107-7...0978981&sr=8-1

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/28/2010 3:26 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:

A set of Forstner bits is nice to have on hand ... one of the items
worthy of buying in "sets".

Thinking that you may be right, I was considering buying the 7-piece set
Freud FC-107 (currently $140):

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FC-107-7...0978981&sr=8-1

Personally, I would go with the steel versions, Bill.

Also, if you plan on doing any cabinetry, you will also want to buy a
premium steel 35mm Forstner bit for drilling door hinge holes.

I think I paid $40+ for mine some ten years ago and it has drilled lots
of hinge holes for cabinet doors. It is one Forstner I would replace
immediately if it were lost, stolen or damaged.

FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

A set of Forstner bits is nice to have on hand ... one of the items
worthy of buying in "sets".

Thinking that you may be right, I was considering buying the 7-piece set
Freud FC-107 (currently $140):

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FC-107-7...0978981&sr=8-1

Personally, I would go with the steel versions, Bill.

Also, if you plan on doing any cabinetry, you will also want to buy a
premium steel 35mm Forstner bit for drilling door hinge holes.

Em.. I had read that the 1 3/16 bit was for "European Style" cabinet
door hingle holes. Evidently, from your post, 35mm is the size I would
require (instead). Without a good use for the big bit, it is difficult
to justify the set price. I'll look again. Thank you for your help.

Bill

I think I paid $40+ for mine some ten years ago and it has drilled lots
of hinge holes for cabinet doors. It is one Forstner I would replace
immediately if it were lost, stolen or damaged.

FWIW ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

A set of Forstner bits is nice to have on hand ... one of the items
worthy of buying in "sets".

Thinking that you may be right, I was considering buying the 7-piece set
Freud FC-107 (currently $140):

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FC-107-7...0978981&sr=8-1

Personally, I would go with the steel versions, Bill.

Also, if you plan on doing any cabinetry, you will also want to buy a
premium steel 35mm Forstner bit for drilling door hinge holes.

Em.. I had read that the 1 3/16 bit was for "European Style" cabinet
door hingle holes. Evidently, from your post, 35mm is the size I would
require (instead). Without a good use for the big bit, it is difficult
to justify the set price. I'll look again. Thank you for your help.

Bill

You need the metric sized bit for those absolutely.
Makes those hinges a piece of cake to install, and I just measured by
hand with a tape measure and a square for the offset and drilled them
with a cordless.

Only hung about five doors with mine, just around my house, but two were
eight feet tall, three hinges per door, went up flawlessly.

I think I paid $40+ for mine some ten years ago and it has drilled lots
of hinge holes for cabinet doors. It is one Forstner I would replace
immediately if it were lost, stolen or damaged.

FWIW ...

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FC-107-7...tner/dp/B00002...

Personally, I would go with the steel versions, Bill.

Also, if you plan on doing any cabinetry, you will also want to buy a
premium steel 35mm Forstner bit for drilling door hinge holes.

I think I paid $40+ for mine some ten years ago and it has drilled lots
of hinge holes for cabinet doors. It is one Forstner I would replace
immediately if it were lost, stolen or damaged.

FWIW ...

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

...and get one with a stubby pilot nib. Many Forstner nibs are long
enough to poke through the front of the door should you decide to sink
a cup into a 5/8" thick door.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

BTDT, eh?

Shheeeeesh ... what online corruption of grammatical and speeling!
Beware, the grammer, police ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:14:57 -0500, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

It appears that the secret to woodworking is in contemplating, in
advance, and dealing with every single possible thing that could go
wrong!

You forgot "And then proceeding to -do- some of them."

I was just fixin' to get started DOING when I was talked into rewiring
my whole "shop"! : )

No, I meant "proceeding to do some things wrong."

Admittedly, I didn't realize, even as I
started, just how much it needed it. In the process, with the help of
the kind folks here I installed a sub-panel, wired 11 electrical boxes,
installed insulation, installed about 500 square feet of drywall, ...,
fixed a RO-water purification system, replace a garbage disposal.

I get entangled in my own HoneyDo lists here, and I'm single.

Admittedly, I could do more woodworking if it weren't for my job. One
this is constant--I try to learn something new everyday! Oh, and

Megadittoes.

I'm not a tool-collector--just like Roy!

IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC,
IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC,
IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC,
IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, I don't think.

BTW, this week I started reading: Tool-Making Projects for Joinery and
Woodworking, by Olesin. Lots of details. Starts off by showing how to
make 3 different kinds of mortising guages, for instance. No
blacksmithing techniques in the book. Advises cutting a circ-saw blade
with a hack-saw to make cutters. Nice book for anyone who wants to do
(perhaps put on your Christmas list?).

I'll check it out.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:05:08 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:14:57 -0500, Bill wrote:
BTW, this week I started reading: Tool-Making Projects for Joinery and
Woodworking, by Olesin. Lots of details. Starts off by showing how to
make 3 different kinds of mortising guages, for instance. No
blacksmithing techniques in the book. Advises cutting a circ-saw blade
with a hack-saw to make cutters. Nice book for anyone who wants to do
(perhaps put on your Christmas list?).

I'll check it out.

OH, NO! There's a bow saw in there...

Don't get us started on THAT one again. bseg

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
-- Storm Jameson
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...

It appears that the secret to woodworking is in contemplating, in advance,
and dealing with every single possible thing that could go wrong!

Exactly, and having figured out in advance everything that could go wrong
means you are unprepared and thus open-minded when unforeseen things go
wrong during the actual woodworking. This learning to recognize a mistake
when we have made it again is the key to quality workmanship (which mostly
consists of knowing how to hide mistakes).

Newbe Question about Shop Heater Bill Woodworking 60 November 7th 09 05:00 PM
NewBe caliper question Bill Woodworking 17 January 18th 08 06:04 AM
Newbe question Capt T Woodturning 7 January 14th 06 05:40 PM
Any help for a newbe 10sc Woodturning 44 March 28th 05 05:35 PM
Newbe at Christmas Steve Blake Woodworking 2 January 1st 05 06:15 AM