Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hand hewn beam photos

I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Not the first hand hewn beams I've seen but many thanks for the photos.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 8:33*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Thanks for posting those interesting photos. I couldn't help but
wonder at the amount of human energy required to produce and lift
those beams. It's Thanksgiving day and we ought to be greatful for the
tools we have these 200 years later to help us minimize the labor
inherent in those photos.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Happened to ask the greater family what they were thankful for.
Great granddaughter Mireya said, "I'm thankful for the leaves." I
had to think a brief moment, then thought of the beautiful colors,
layering the ground, etc, etc

Yes, thank God for the leaves. A beautiful sentiment.

Probably helps that she doesn't have to rake them.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"GROVER" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 8:33 am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old
barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what
one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Thanks for posting those interesting photos. I couldn't help but
wonder at the amount of human energy required to produce and lift
those beams. It's Thanksgiving day and we ought to be greatful for
the
tools we have these 200 years later to help us minimize the labor
inherent in those photos.

Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:04:38 -0800 (PST), GROVER
wrote:

On Nov 25, 8:33Â*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Thanks for posting those interesting photos. I couldn't help but
wonder at the amount of human energy required to produce and lift
those beams. It's Thanksgiving day and we ought to be greatful for the
tools we have these 200 years later to help us minimize the labor
inherent in those photos.

Joe G

Replaced a few (elm though, not oak) in the old barn when I was a
teenager. It IS a lot of work!!!!!! Even just sqaring the ends and
flatting the top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:44:52 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

Happened to ask the greater family what they were thankful for.
Great granddaughter Mireya said, "I'm thankful for the leaves." I
had to think a brief moment, then thought of the beautiful colors,
layering the ground, etc, etc

I thought you were going to say, "so everyone can fit at the table". ;-)

Yes, thank God for the leaves. A beautiful sentiment.

Probably helps that she doesn't have to rake them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:18:25 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
ain.local...
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Not the first hand hewn beams I've seen but many thanks for the photos.

Yeah, cool. Here's what cut those and left the nice markings:
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...broad_axe.html

And the German way of doing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j506c...eature=related

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 19:53:41 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

On Nov 25, 8:33Â*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Thanks for posting those interesting photos. I couldn't help but
wonder at the amount of human energy required to produce and lift
those beams. It's Thanksgiving day and we ought to be greatful for the
tools we have these 200 years later to help us minimize the labor
inherent in those photos.

Joe G

Replaced a few (elm though, not oak) in the old barn when I was a
teenager. It IS a lot of work!!!!!! Even just sqaring the ends and
flatting the top.

I may end up replacing that one. It's got some soft spots.

Here in Waterloo County Ontario there are a lot of old post and beam
barns, and I've seen quite a few go up in menonite barn raisings.
They put together a complete "bay" and then pull it up with ropes to
join to the next "bay" with the lateral beams - all placed by hand,
and pegged with wooden pegs and wedges.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Good photos. Can almost smell the wood. Same with the highboy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 8:28*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:18:25 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
ain.local...
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Not the first hand hewn beams I've seen but many thanks for the photos.

Yeah, cool. *Here's what cut those and left the nice markings:http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...broad_axe.html

And the German way of doing it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j506c...eature=related

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Minna Thomas Antrim

With regard to the Japanese man hewing the logs into rectangular form,
he still had ten toes. I wonder what would OSHA say.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:01:01 -0800 (PST), GROVER
wrote:

On Nov 25, 8:28*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:18:25 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
ain.local...
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Not the first hand hewn beams I've seen but many thanks for the photos.

Yeah, cool. *Here's what cut those and left the nice markings:http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...broad_axe.html

And the German way of doing it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j506c...eature=related

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Minna Thomas Antrim

With regard to the Japanese man hewing the logs into rectangular form,
he still had ten toes. I wonder what would OSHA say.

The kindly OSHA inspector would likely curl up, keel over, and die
after seeing that process. The next one would prolly ban hatchets,
axes, and other bladed tools. They're dangerous!

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" writes:
I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on
flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one
looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340135755/

Looks a lot like the main beam in the "new" addition of my house which
was added around 1860-1870
Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER writes:
On Nov 25, 8:28Â*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:18:25 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

ain.local...

Yeah, cool. Â*Here's what cut those and left the nice markings:http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...broad_axe.html

And the German way of doing it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j506c...eature=related

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* -- Minna Thomas Antrim

With regard to the Japanese man hewing the logs into rectangular form,
he still had ten toes. I wonder what would OSHA say.

Joe G

Not sure if you saw the YouTube video that has an extended sequence of
Japanese style cutting, including close ups of the guys toes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIB0h4SzHc&NR=1
My toes hurt just watching and I had the urge to count them when the
video was over...