DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   US Veteran's Day (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/313259-us-veterans-day.html)

[email protected] November 11th 10 04:58 PM

US Veteran's Day

From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

--

MJ

Army 1966 - 1970

Han November 11th 10 05:06 PM

US Veteran's Day

" wrote in news:5c65203f-6678-
:

From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

--

MJ

Army 1966 - 1970

I'll be eternally thankful to all veterans, especially those who liberated
Europe in WWII.

My hat off to all veterans!

--
Best regards
Han

[email protected] November 11th 10 06:28 PM

US Veteran's Day

Misplaced apostrophe, should
be Veterans, not Veteran's.

But still the sentiment is the same.

Thanks.

MJ

-MIKE- November 11th 10 06:42 PM

US Veteran's Day

On 11/11/10 12:28 PM, wrote:
Misplaced apostrophe, should
be Veterans, not Veteran's.

ehem..... Veterans' Day
in any case, I think most just leave out the apostrophe, altogether.

Irony aside, thank you to any woodworking veterans in this group.
You willingness to serve in my stead for my freedom is not something I
take lightly.
You have my utmost respect and gratitude.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Swingman November 11th 10 07:48 PM

US Veteran's Day

On 11/11/2010 10:58 AM, wrote:
From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

Army 1966 - 1970

Backatcha: Army 1968 - 1972

On that same note:

http://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/...-independence/

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Tim W November 11th 10 08:44 PM

US Veteran's Day

wrote in message
From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

Isn't this an international group?

Tim w

Max November 11th 10 08:59 PM

US Veteran's Day

wrote in message
From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

--

MJ

Army 1966 - 1970

Same to you and all other vets.

Max
US Army, 1949-1953
1st Cav. Korea, '50 - '51

Swingman November 11th 10 09:11 PM

US Veteran's Day

On 11/11/2010 2:44 PM, Tim W wrote:
wrote in message
From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

Isn't this an international group?

What does that have to do with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Lee Michaels[_3_] November 11th 10 09:46 PM

US Veteran's Day

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 11/11/2010 2:44 PM, Tim W wrote:
wrote in message
From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

Isn't this an international group?

What does that have to do with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

Leave it to the Brits to screw up Remembrance day.

Disarming Remembrance Day

November 9, 2010: A hundred teenage members of the British Army Cadet Force
in Plymouth have been suddenly told that they would not be able to carry
rifles, as they traditionally have, during the annual November 11th
Remembrance Day parade. The reason given was that it was inappropriate to
have the teenage cadets carrying rifles in public because it glamorizes
weapons. The cadets disagreed, but the decision stood.

The Army Cadet Force began 160 years ago as an organization for boys who
were intent on eventually joining the militia (a local defense tradition
dating back over a thousand years). The Cadet Corps quickly became a
national organization and was supported by the British Army as a way to
introduce teenage boys to the military, and help recruiting. The Army Cadet
Force lost its government funding in the 1920s, but continued via donations
from individuals and local organizations. The Army Cadet Force was similar
to the Boy Scouts (also founded in Britain), but with a more military
orientation. This included the local cadets marching in Remembrance Day
parades, often with the rifles they had learned to use, and had practiced
drilling with. Girls were allowed to join the Army Cadet Force in the 1980s.

Currently, there are about 1,700 Army Cadet Force detachments, with 47,000
cadets and 8,500 adult staff and instructors. With the decline in the number
of veterans (conscription was abolished in the 1950s and the armed forces
has been shrinking ever since), more and more of the adult staff have had no
military experience. Thus the emphasis on military matters has declined, and
the Army Cadet Force was increasingly described by its leadership as a
youth, not military, organization. As a result of this, ten years ago, a new
rule was introduced that eliminated cadets carrying rifles during parades.
But the rule was not always enforced. This year, in Plymouth, it was. This
got some media attention, especially since the cadets had carried their
rifles in a parade two months ago. The sudden decision to enforce the "no
rifles" rule was attributed to complaints from members of the public. But
it's actually been a long term trend.

Remembrance Day commemorates the end of World War I, and has come to be an
event that honors all war dead. Remembrance Day events are held in Britain,
and most Allied countries who participated in World War I. In the U.S.,
November 11th is called Veterans Day, because Americans commemorate the war
dead on Memorial Day in May, an occasion that dates to the 19th century
custom of honoring the dead of the American Civil War (1861-5), and later
modified to cover the dead from all American wars. Thus the November 11
commemorations in Europe and the British Commonwealth, are a bigger deal
than they are in the United States.

Disbelief[_2_] November 11th 10 10:07 PM

US Veteran's Day

Han wrote:
" wrote in
:

From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

--

MJ

Army 1966 - 1970

I'll be eternally thankful to all veterans, especially those who
liberated Europe in WWII.

My hat off to all veterans!

With all due respects to your veterans Han, there were a few other countries
who were actually fighting from 1939 to 1945.

America entered the war in December 1941 and then *HELPED* to liberate
Europe, along with the British, Anzac, Canadian, Indian, Polish, French,
Russian and many other armies - as *THEY* helped America to defeat the
Japanese.

America was also late entering the war to end all wars 1914 - 1918 and only
participating from 1917.

Please read a true history on those conflicts before you infer that America
won anything single handily.

Once again, my respects to *ALL* the allies that fought and died in war.

Disbelief[_2_] November 11th 10 10:22 PM

US Veteran's Day

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
On 11/11/2010 2:44 PM, Tim W wrote:
wrote in message
From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

Isn't this an international group?

What does that have to do with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

Leave it to the Brits to screw up Remembrance day.

Disarming Remembrance Day

November 9, 2010: A hundred teenage members of the British Army Cadet
Force in Plymouth have been suddenly told that they would not be able
to carry rifles, as they traditionally have, during the annual
November 11th Remembrance Day parade. The reason given was that it
was inappropriate to have the teenage cadets carrying rifles in
public because it glamorizes weapons. The cadets disagreed, but the
decision stood.

Snipped

From a Brit.

You really don't need to carry arms to remember those that fell in war, in
fact, there were millions in the UK who didn't. This isn't America where
carrying arms is almost mandatory and guns are worshipped as gods!

Let us do as we wish, as you do in your country - after all, that's what the
men who fought these wars died for.

Han November 11th 10 10:26 PM

US Veteran's Day

"Disbelief" wrote in
:

Han wrote:
" wrote in
:

From one veteran to all others:

[...]

Disbelief, I think you are misinterpreting my words. I said ALL
veterans. Most f Holland (where I grew up) was liberated by Brits and
Canadiens. My high school was on the General Foulkes Road, the Canadian
general who accepted the surrender of the Germans in Holland in the town
where I grew up, Wageningen. That is about 8 miles from Arnhem, where
many Poles, Brits, Canadians and others died in Operation Market Garden
(the movie A Bridge Too Far). I could go on ...

--
Best regards
Han

Lee Michaels[_3_] November 11th 10 10:29 PM

US Veteran's Day

"Disbelief" wrote

From a Brit.

You really don't need to carry arms to remember those that fell in war, in
fact, there were millions in the UK who didn't. This isn't America where
carrying arms is almost mandatory and guns are worshipped as gods!

Let us do as we wish, as you do in your country - after all, that's what
the men who fought these wars died for.

You Brits have taken weapons phobia to new heights. You have brainwashed
chefs proclaiming there is no needs for cooking knives. We get media
reports on a semi regular basis that shows one more idiotic example of you
you are turning into a siisified nanny state. And there are many folks in
the US who are trying to do this here as well.

Is that what they fought and died for? To be a bunch of sissies?

David Paste[_2_] November 11th 10 10:46 PM

US Veteran's Day

On Nov 11, 10:29*pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:

You Brits have taken weapons phobia to new heights.

No, the government have probably looked at stats and decided that it's
cheaper to stop people keeping guns than it is to treat the ensuing
wounds, or to widely teach how to use them. Never under-estimate the
ability of the UK 'government' to **** things up from the sole point
of view of finance. BUT! Judging how many people in the US are
killed / injured by firearms each year, and comparing that to other
countries, notably Switzerland, it's clear that it is more complex
than I am bothered about reading. The long and short of it means that
bad guys in the UK will still be able to get hold of guns and use them
nefariously, but children and clueless dip****s are MUCH less likely
to accidentally shoot their foot off. Gun clubs are still relatively
common in the UK, by the way. People who want to shoot safely, can do.

You have brainwashed chefs proclaiming there is no needs for cooking knives.

Other than the media will give air-time to any old bellend in the
public eye who has an opinion, what does that prove?

We get media reports on a semi regular basis that shows one more idiotic example of you
you are turning into a siisified nanny state.

Give an example, please. I would hazard a guess that that in the
majority of these 'reports', facts have been eschewed in favour of
rabble-rousing rhetoric. And perhaps, alliteration. The US 'news'
channels are world-renowned as being nothing more than corporate-
funded opinion-mongers, not that the UK have much better, but you
should be HUGELY sceptical of anything you see in the US news.

And there are many folks in the US who are trying to do this here as well.

So do something about it then.

Is that what they fought and died for? *To be a bunch of sissies?

No, I reckon that they probably fought to defeat fascism. Ignorance is
a fascism, too, you know.

Tim W November 11th 10 10:49 PM

US Veteran's Day

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

Is that what they fought and died for? To be a bunch of sissies?

They had a lot of reasons for that. Some because they thought the war would
enable people to live in peace, some because they would get shot by their
own side if they didn't. I suppose there must have been some that just loved
flags and uniforms and guns and violence.

Generally in my country the war dead are remembered on this day with grief
and sadness as well as pride. It is not ever a celebration of how great our
military is. It is about loss and mourning.

Tim W

Swingman November 11th 10 10:58 PM

US Veteran's Day

On 11/11/2010 4:26 PM, Han wrote:

Disbelief, I think you are misinterpreting my words. I said ALL
veterans. Most f Holland (where I grew up) was liberated by Brits and
Canadiens. My high school was on the General Foulkes Road, the Canadian
general who accepted the surrender of the Germans in Holland in the town
where I grew up, Wageningen. That is about 8 miles from Arnhem, where
many Poles, Brits, Canadians and others died in Operation Market Garden
(the movie A Bridge Too Far). I could go on ...

You're wasting your time, Han ... that's not what he's up to.

Trolls can try to revise history, but they can't change the facts for
the following WW II Allied military dead (estimated, as in all war
casualties) who are remembered on this day:

British Empire and Commonwealth 452.000
France 250.000
USA 295.000
Soviet Union 13.600.000
Belgium 10.000
Holland 10.000
Norway 10.000
Poland 120.000
Greece 20.000
Yugoslavia 300.000
Checoslovaquia 20.000
China 3.500.000

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

David Paste[_2_] November 11th 10 11:03 PM

US Veteran's Day

On Nov 11, 10:58*pm, Swingman wrote:

British Empire and Commonwealth 452.000
France * * * * * * * * * * * * *250.000
USA * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 295.000
Soviet Union * * * * * * * * 13.600.000
Belgium * * * * * * * * * * * * *10.000
Holland * * * * * * * * * * * * *10.000
Norway * * * * * * * * * * * * * 10.000
Poland * * * * * * * * * * * * *120.000
Greece * * * * * * * * * * * * * 20.000
Yugoslavia * * * * * * * * * * *300.000
Checoslovaquia * * * * * * * * * 20.000
China * * * * * * * * * * * * 3.500.000

Oh man, that's a grotesque set of numbers. Just on the off-chance,
have you ever seen Blackadder Goes Forth? Specifically the last
episode? That'll choke you.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] November 11th 10 11:29 PM

US Veteran's Day

Subject

I'm old enough to remember when Nov 11 was celebrated as "Armistice
Day" in honor of those who served in WWI.

First celebrated to remember "The eleventh month, the eleventh day,
the eleventh hour".

The change to "Veteran's Day is a rather recent event.

Lew

Swingman November 11th 10 11:33 PM

US Veteran's Day

On 11/11/2010 5:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

I'm old enough to remember when Nov 11 was celebrated as "Armistice
Day" in honor of those who served in WWI.

First celebrated to remember "The eleventh month, the eleventh day,
the eleventh hour".

The change to "Veteran's Day is a rather recent event.

Depends upon the perspective of age:

June 1, 1954

My 25 daughter thinks it has always been that way ... and it has, to her.

:)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Swingman November 11th 10 11:59 PM

US Veteran's Day

On 11/11/2010 5:03 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Nov 11, 10:58 pm, wrote:

British Empire and Commonwealth 452.000
France 250.000
USA 295.000
Soviet Union 13.600.000
Belgium 10.000
Holland 10.000
Norway 10.000
Poland 120.000
Greece 20.000
Yugoslavia 300.000
Checoslovaquia 20.000
China 3.500.000

Oh man, that's a grotesque set of numbers. Just on the off-chance,
have you ever seen Blackadder Goes Forth? Specifically the last
episode? That'll choke you.

No ... never even heard of it until just now.

But damn I love do love those BBC programs. You Brits historically have
had the best written TV on the planet. The Masterpiece Theater series
alone has been a source of years of top quality programming for us yanks.

AAMOF, and IMO, your re-runs are about the only thing worth watching on
the 500 available channel options I have ... a literal garbage heap,
almost without exception.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

David Paste[_2_] November 12th 10 12:26 AM

US Veteran's Day

On Nov 11, 11:59*pm, Swingman wrote:

No ... never even heard of it until just now.

It's ostensibly a comedy, but it's a pretty good satire of the time,
too.

But damn I love do love those BBC programs. You Brits historically have
had the best written TV on the planet.

glows with benign national pride!

The Masterpiece Theater series
alone has been a source of years of top quality programming for us yanks.

I had to look that up - seems like it does have a fair share of good
stuff.

AAMOF, and IMO, your re-runs are about the only thing worth watching on
the 500 available channel options I have ... a literal garbage heap,
almost without exception.

Yeah, sadly we are getting the same thing now - many channels of junk.
But there are still the occasional gems to be found. Cracker is the
last series I really got in to, but there is also a lot really good US
stuff shown here, but I suppose we have less manure to shovel through
to find it. For all the wrongness that has beset the BBC over the past
decade or so, it still delivers good TV every now and again. But the
radio side of the operation is the real gold mine at the minute, in my
humble opinion.

What saddens me the most is the dumbing-down of science shows. We used
to have a terrific series called Horizon, it is no longer terrific.
The last really good science show I saw was Aubrey Manning's 'Earth
Story' (late 1990s) - absolutely brilliant, catch it if you can.

Cheers.

Steve B[_10_] November 12th 10 12:46 AM

US Veteran's Day

A snappy salute to my late father, four tiny bronze stars on each of his WW
II United States Army Air Corps medals in the Pacific Theater.

Steve

Steve B[_10_] November 12th 10 12:46 AM

US Veteran's Day

A hearty salute to every serviceman past and present.

Steve

Swingman November 12th 10 01:12 AM

US Veteran's Day

On 11/11/2010 6:26 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Nov 11, 11:59 pm, wrote:

But damn I love do love those BBC programs. You Brits historically have
had the best written TV on the planet.

glows with benign national pride!

Don't blame you ... although a coonass from the swamps of S. Louisiana,
I lived and worked in the UK back in the early 60's, my first wife (with
a posh accent, and the reason why I never could stand the "East Enders"
TV series with that damned cockney accent) was from Staines, just
outside London. My oldest, born in Bryan, TX, but went to uni in
Sheffield, is married to a fine Yorkshire lad, and they live, with my
two grandsons, in Sheffield.

I visit as often as I can, but not often enough. Having spent a couple
of years there in the sixties, and again in the early seventies, every
time I fly into Heathrow now and look down I can't believe how many
houses there are ... sheesh! ;)

You guys are filling that little island to the point that it's going to
tip over (to paraphrase an American idiot politician).

BTW, the first British TV program that just floored me was Peter Cook
and Dudley Moore's "Not Only, But Also" ... perhaps before your time. :)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Robatoy[_2_] November 12th 10 01:20 AM

US Veteran's Day

On Nov 11, 12:06*pm, Han wrote:
" wrote in news:5c65203f-6678-
:

From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

--

MJ

Army 1966 - 1970

I'll be eternally thankful to all veterans, especially those who liberated
Europe in WWII.

My hat off to all veterans!

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Ditto.

During an interview a WWII vet was asked if he considered himself a
"Naw...the heroes all died....."

J. Clarke[_2_] November 12th 10 02:07 AM

US Veteran's Day

In article , disbelief@diilly-
daally....invalid.com says...

Han wrote:
" wrote in
:

From one veteran to all others:

I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Hope you're having a great day.

--

MJ

Army 1966 - 1970

I'll be eternally thankful to all veterans, especially those who
liberated Europe in WWII.

My hat off to all veterans!

With all due respects to your veterans Han, there were a few other countries
who were actually fighting from 1939 to 1945.

America entered the war in December 1941 and then *HELPED* to liberate
Europe, along with the British, Anzac, Canadian, Indian, Polish, French,
Russian and many other armies - as *THEY* helped America to defeat the
Japanese.

And another whiny twit plonked.

Larry Jaques[_3_] November 12th 10 02:07 PM

US Veteran's Day

dot net wrote:

You Brits have taken weapons phobia to new heights.

No, the government have probably looked at stats and decided that it's
cheaper to stop people keeping guns than it is to treat the ensuing
wounds, or to widely teach how to use them. Never under-estimate the
ability of the UK 'government' to **** things up from the sole point
of view of finance. BUT! Judging how many people in the US are
killed / injured by firearms each year, and comparing that to other
countries, notably Switzerland, it's clear that it is more complex
than I am bothered about reading. The long and short of it means that
bad guys in the UK will still be able to get hold of guns and use them
nefariously, but children and clueless dip****s are MUCH less likely
to accidentally shoot their foot off. Gun clubs are still relatively
common in the UK, by the way. People who want to shoot safely, can do.

Here in the USA, there are a few hundred million guns and over half of
the deaths are from suicides, 56.1%). With no guns, why is it that
you Brits have a higher -rate- of murder with guns than we do? Hmm?
Because only the criminals have them now. Do you feel safer, booby?

Hell, CARS kill more people than guns do here.

Clueless dip**** kill and maim themselves and others at an astounding
rate, and it doesn't matter what they have in their hands at the time.
Generally, guns are kept out of their hands.

You have brainwashed chefs proclaiming there is no needs for cooking knives.

Other than the media will give air-time to any old bellend in the
public eye who has an opinion, what does that prove?

Like the "children shooting each other with guns" thing? Ten times
more kids drown than are hurt with guns, but bad parenting isn't
pursued as a crime until their poor kids hurt or kill themselves.

We get media reports on a semi regular basis that shows one more idiotic example of you
you are turning into a siisified nanny state.

Give an example, please. I would hazard a guess that that in the
majority of these 'reports', facts have been eschewed in favour of
rabble-rousing rhetoric. And perhaps, alliteration. The US 'news'
channels are world-renowned as being nothing more than corporate-
funded opinion-mongers, not that the UK have much better, but you
should be HUGELY sceptical of anything you see in the US news.

Yup. sigh (That's why I turned it off several years ago and haven't
missed it...at all.) How much better is your BBC, though?

And there are many folks in the US who are trying to do this here as well.

So do something about it then.

Hopefully, we'll get rid of those rabble rousers and sanity will
prevail.

Is that what they fought and died for? *To be a bunch of sissies?

No, I reckon that they probably fought to defeat fascism. Ignorance is
a fascism, too, you know.

Look at your country's statistics, man. Then you can be first to tell
us about ignorance and denial from firsthand experience.

It's not guns we need to get under control. It's criminals. DUH!

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling

David Paste[_2_] November 12th 10 02:50 PM

US Veteran's Day

On Nov 12, 2:07*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Larry - did you actually read and comprehend what I wrote? Or just
type out a knee-jerk reaction to each sentence? Come on man, you're
better than that.

David Paste[_2_] November 12th 10 03:50 PM

US Veteran's Day

On Nov 12, 1:12*am, Swingman wrote:

Don't blame you ... although a coonass from the swamps of S. Louisiana,
I lived and worked in the UK back in the early 60's, my first wife (with
a posh accent, and the reason why I never could stand the "East Enders"
TV series with that damned cockney accent) was from Staines, just
outside London. My oldest, born in Bryan, TX, but went to uni in
Sheffield, is married to a fine Yorkshire lad, and they live, with my
two grandsons, in Sheffield.

I have to say, I am mystified when people move TO the UK rather than
FROM - life ain't the best here, it is terribly overcrowded, as you
mention. And property prices? Well, it's a joke. The country is skint
and not going to get better for a while. If I had the chance, I'd
probably move to the states. But then again, the grass is always
greener, no?!

What did you do over here, just out of interest? I come from a town
which used to have a huge US air base just to the north, several of my
aunts got hitched to the airmen and not live the life of Riley on the
west coast of America.

I visit as often as I can, but not often enough. Having spent a couple
of years there in the sixties, and again in the early seventies, every
time I fly into Heathrow now and look down I can't believe how many
houses there are ... sheesh! ;)

The very idea of Heathrow is enough to make anyone nervous! If you're
off to Sheffield, fly into Manchester if you can.

You guys are filling that little island to the point that it's going to
tip over (to paraphrase an American idiot politician).

This is what worries me the most about the future (not just for the
tiny island here, but the world too) - absurd birth rates and
dwindling resources. I'm not an apocalyptic type, and I know we'll
find ways of coping, but it'll inevitably be at the expense of
personal space and the ability to just escape. /moan.

BTW, the first British TV program that just floored me was Peter Cook
and Dudley Moore's "Not Only, But Also" ... perhaps before your time. :)

Ha! Not seen that, but had their records / tapes on almost continual
repeat as a teenager. Funny stuff indeed.

[email protected] November 12th 10 04:44 PM

US Veteran's Day

It is absolutely incredible to me that a three line, heartfelt post
expressing appreciation for military veterans can be turned into the
normal, whiny sewage this group turns out.

How?

How could some of you hijack a three sentence thread and turn it into
a pedantic, snotty diatribe on your personal off topic opinions? WTF
is the matter with you guys?

All of us owe a great debt to those who have served and are serving.
All of us. Every single one.

To turn this thread into anything but an expression of that thought is
petty and enormously selfish. Shame on some of you. So damn little
is done these days to show how much we care about our veterans,
especially those in need.

Shame on you.

As a small bit of show of my appreciation for a job well done, I will
be serving the soldiers and their families dinner on Sunday at Brook
Army Medical Center at the Intrepid facility. Their Veteran's Day
dinner is held this weekend so that their families can be off work and
school to come visit them in the hospital.

http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/About-IFHF.aspx

With the time and energy spent here with pedantic squabbling and wry
political observations, why not REALLY give **** and do something
besides talk about it? The link above has a button for anyone wanting
to donate.

Time around the brave soldiers at the center that have been brutally
maimed is profoundly humbling. To see their struggle towards recovery
will bring you to tears. Only one of my friends can take an evening
of it, and it is gut wrenching. To have them **thank me** for
volunteering makes me really, completely uncomfortable. It's just a
few days of coordination and on evening on my part. For them? These
guys are "catastrophically" wounded. Their lives are starting over.

But on the other hand, an afternoon and evening with them can be
rewarding as hell. I am pleased to be able to help where I can. I
will also be on a fact finding mission Sunday to see if how many want
a good cigar for the courtyard outside to smoke during Sunday night
football. Cigars always seem to cheer these guys up, even though 99%
of them never really smoke them.

Those guys are what the day is about. You guys can take any thread
you want to twist into a political rant or a pulpit to for your
opinions Let this thread be.

I would personally like to extend my heartfelt thanks and gratitude to
all that have served and are serving.

Robert

Josepi[_11_] November 12th 10 05:56 PM

US Veteran's Day

A lot of unburned off energy on this group.

It's real easy...just like this.

Can you cite any references for your stupid claims?

LOL

J. Clarke[_2_] November 12th 10 10:33 PM

US Veteran's Day

In article ,
says...

A lot of unburned off energy on this group.

It's real easy...just like this.

Can you cite any references for your stupid claims?

LOL

Josepi, FOAD.

plonk

Swingman November 12th 10 10:39 PM

US Veteran's Day

On 11/12/2010 9:50 AM, David Paste wrote:

What did you do over here, just out of interest? I come from a town
which used to have a huge US air base just to the north, several of my
aunts got hitched to the airmen and not live the life of Riley on the
west coast of America.

Civilian. I worked for Heston Aircraft out of Heston Airport, on the BAC
1-11. Also worked for a cabinetmaker in Hounslow whose family had been
in business a couple of hundred years ... just a new business by y'alls
standards. ;)

I visit as often as I can, but not often enough. Having spent a couple
of years there in the sixties, and again in the early seventies, every
time I fly into Heathrow now and look down I can't believe how many
houses there are ... sheesh! ;)

The very idea of Heathrow is enough to make anyone nervous! If you're
off to Sheffield, fly into Manchester if you can.

I have friends in Staines, so always go for a visit of a few days of
either end of the drive up to Sheffield.

Ha! Not seen that, but had their records / tapes on almost continual
repeat as a teenager. Funny stuff indeed.

Nothing on earth like British humor ... takes some getting used to, but
once you get it you don't need a laugh track to cue you. :)

Good talking to you David ... maybe we can swing a visit on either end
one of these days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Tim W November 13th 10 09:12 AM

US Veteran's Day

wrote in message
It is absolutely incredible to me ....

[snipped everything]

I don't intend to get into a debate about Veteran's Day so we will skip
that.

I am working class man, a socialist and a pacifist. I am sure you hate my
politics and I can tell you the feeling is totally mutual.

I don't come to this group posting stuff about the US military and all the
crimes they commit and if I did you would probably have a lot to say about
it. So why is it so incredible that posts about how great the US military is
should provoke a response? Don't you know that waving your flag around is
offensive and provocative? Welcome to the big wide world.

Tim W

J. Clarke[_2_] November 13th 10 10:21 AM

US Veteran's Day

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
It is absolutely incredible to me ....

[snipped everything]

I don't intend to get into a debate about Veteran's Day so we will skip
that.

I am working class man, a socialist and a pacifist. I am sure you hate my
politics and I can tell you the feeling is totally mutual.

I don't come to this group posting stuff about the US military and all the
crimes they commit and if I did you would probably have a lot to say about
it. So why is it so incredible that posts about how great the US military is
should provoke a response? Don't you know that waving your flag around is
offensive and provocative? Welcome to the big wide world.

Didn't your mother ever teach you that there are times when if you can't
say something nice you shouldn't say anything? If not, there are such
times, and Veteran's Day is one of them.

Tim W November 13th 10 11:03 AM

US Veteran's Day

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

Didn't your mother ever teach you that there are times when if you can't
say something nice you shouldn't say anything? If not, there are such
times, and Veteran's Day is one of them.

Exactly right. I am in total agreement.

Tim W

Mike Marlow[_2_] November 13th 10 01:24 PM

US Veteran's Day

Tim W wrote:
wrote in message
It is absolutely incredible to me ....

[snipped everything]

I don't intend to get into a debate about Veteran's Day so we will
skip that.

I am working class man, a socialist and a pacifist. I am sure you
hate my politics and I can tell you the feeling is totally mutual.

I don't come to this group posting stuff about the US military and
all the crimes they commit and if I did you would probably have a lot
to say about it. So why is it so incredible that posts about how
great the US military is should provoke a response? Don't you know
that waving your flag around is offensive and provocative? Welcome to
the big wide world.
Tim W

I guess it just sucks to be you then.

--

-Mike-

Disbelief[_2_] November 13th 10 03:02 PM

US Veteran's Day

Mike Marlow wrote:
Tim W wrote:
wrote in message
It is absolutely incredible to me ....

[snipped everything]

I don't intend to get into a debate about Veteran's Day so we will
skip that.

I am working class man, a socialist and a pacifist. I am sure you
hate my politics and I can tell you the feeling is totally mutual.

I don't come to this group posting stuff about the US military and
all the crimes they commit and if I did you would probably have a lot
to say about it. So why is it so incredible that posts about how
great the US military is should provoke a response? Don't you know
that waving your flag around is offensive and provocative? Welcome to
the big wide world.
Tim W

I guess it just sucks to be you then.

That's the trouble with many Yanks, they're big, thick, mean and won't
accept any other opinion than theirs - even if that opinion is wrong.

Believe me, in the great wide world (outside the USA borders that is), one
of the most detested flags is "Old Glory", which to many, is synonymous with
violence, greed, intransigence, bully-boy tactics, torture [1] and total
lack of compassion.

Since the fall of the USSR superpower, the brakes seem to have been removed
and Americans now want not only to run their own country, but the rest of
the world as well under their own dogma - and woe-betide those that
disagree.

[1] As authorised by the dumbest president you ever had, George Walker
Bush, who during his presidency and in cahoots with his backers, has caused
the world to be a far more dangerous place - along with the death and injury
of thousands of American servicemen *AND* women (who you recently had cause
to remember on your Veterans Day) for no other reason that the pure lust for
oil from Arabian countries - no matter what the cost in lives.

Before you spout off your vitriol: 9/11 was not the cause of the invasion of
Iraq, there was no danger to America or the rest of the world there, and
neither was Al Qaeda.

Think I'm wrong, well look well beyond the end of the American nose and take
a great big sniff!

[email protected] November 13th 10 05:34 PM

US Veteran's Day

On Nov 13, 9:02*am, "Disbelief" disbelief@diilly-
daally....invalid.com wrote:

That's the trouble with many Yanks, they're big, thick, mean and won't
accept any other opinion than theirs - even if that opinion is wrong.

Which of course, begs the question of why we would accept another
opinion if we know it is wrong?

I am an unashamed flag waver of my country. I love the USA. We do a
few things wrong, but we do a whole lot right. NO OTHER COUNTRY ON
THIS EARTH is held to the same standards, the same scrutiny, or is
judged so freely in the world court of opinion as the USA.

This thread was started about appreciation of US (read: United States)
veterans. Not about you, not about your country, not about your
politics, your ideology, you personal feelings, or your ability to
hijack a thread to suit your personal agenda.

One more time, it was a simple expression of thanks to soldiers FROM
THE US that served. (Read the topic heading. It should have been a
clue.)

However, your dumbass should know that when we have our Veterans Day
events here, there are vets from all over the world that are honored.
The foreign vets seem especially grateful to be remembered for their
service.

Think I'm wrong, well look well beyond the end of the American nose and take
a great big sniff!

I don't care about your opinion. It is your lack of respect for
others that ****es me off. I cannot imagine a Brit posting an
"England's Remembrance Day" topic and receiving a snotty and
sanctimonious lecture on world politics from an American on how ****
poor England is thought of across the world.

I see from your post count and where your newsgroup posts land that
you are either just a political troll, or a coward hiding behind a
fake name.

In either case, please go away. You are just about everything I can't
stand in people regardless of their country of origin. Rudy,
disrespectful, simple minded idiots know no home country.

Troll boy, crawl back under your rock.

Robert

Swingman November 13th 10 06:07 PM

US Veteran's Day

On 11/13/2010 11:34 AM, wrote:

Troll boy, crawl back under your rock.

In support of your post, I've lived in many countries, circled the globe
a couple of times plus, and have yet to observe that the citizens of any
one country are more or less perfect than those in any other.

The vitriol spouted by the troll is no more than a public display of
personal "ignorance", more to be pitied because he has to live with
knowing, intimately, that that is the case ... anonymity notwithstanding.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010