Posted to rec.woodworking
rlz rlz is offline

Default questions regarding two kitchen cabinets is a corner

I am planning on building new cabinets for my kitchen. In one corner,
there are two base cabinets that are positioned currently so that they
only touch in the front. (leaving a empty space in the actual
corner), One cabinet is 15" in width, the other is 24" in width. I
want to creat one cabinet (L-shaped) that combines these two cabinets
and the dead space.

My question is whether a Lazy Susan will work in this situation, since
the cabinets aren't the same width. It would have to be off center.
Also are there other options that I'm missing?
I want to have easy access to the far back corner,

Rob
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 11:55*am, rlz wrote:
I am planning on building new cabinets for my kitchen. *In one corner,
there are two base cabinets that are positioned currently so that they
only touch in the front. (leaving a empty space in the actual
corner), *One cabinet is 15" in width, the other is 24" in width. *I
want to creat one cabinet (L-shaped) that combines these two cabinets
and the dead space.

My question is whether a Lazy Susan will work in this situation, since
the cabinets aren't the same width. *It would have to be off center.
Also are there other options that I'm missing?
I want to have easy access to the far back corner,

You could put in a smaller lazy susan, you'd just be giving up space
and that far back corner. Check out the Rev-a-shelf line of products.

Anything you do to get back into that corner will be trading off space
for improved access with reduced storage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Also are there other options that I'm missing?
I want to have easy access to the far back corner,

Rob

Just build one cab all the way to the corner and put a door for
aqccess atthe exposed portion. Then look online at woodworkers supply
or even rockler, etc. They have all sorts of nice units now that sort
of slide in and out, etc.

Here is just one example

http://woodworker.com/14-poly-half-m...?search=corner
cabinet&searchmode=2

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2010 10:55 AM, rlz wrote:
I am planning on building new cabinets for my kitchen. In one corner,
there are two base cabinets that are positioned currently so that they
only touch in the front. (leaving a empty space in the actual
corner), One cabinet is 15" in width, the other is 24" in width. I
want to creat one cabinet (L-shaped) that combines these two cabinets
and the dead space.

My question is whether a Lazy Susan will work in this situation, since
the cabinets aren't the same width. It would have to be off center.
Also are there other options that I'm missing?
I want to have easy access to the far back corner,

You have two other options besides the current one.

~ A "blind corner cabinet" which, if designed properly (door opening
width is a critical design factor) which will indeed lend itself to most
lazy susan installation applications.

A "blind corner cabinet" is designed with a wider stile that will be
used to abut to the adjacent cabinet in the perpendicular cabinet run.
This wider stile also insures clearance for door and drawer hardware in
this adjacent cabinet.

~ An angled cabinet, which will provide more reachable, usable space,
but is a bit more difficult to build and install.

Here is an example of the use of a blind corner cabinet in a kitchen I'm
currently working on for a client.

Although the "adjacent cabinet" in this case is an insulated frame for a
ice machine and dishwasher, the principle is exactly the same:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/BlindCNRCab.pdf

This blind corner cabinet was specifically dimensioned/designed to take
the following lazy susan:

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalo...hp?p_ref=21595

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:55:37 -0700 (PDT), rlz
wrote:

I am planning on building new cabinets for my kitchen. In one corner,
there are two base cabinets that are positioned currently so that they
only touch in the front. (leaving a empty space in the actual
corner), One cabinet is 15" in width, the other is 24" in width. I
want to creat one cabinet (L-shaped) that combines these two cabinets
and the dead space.

My question is whether a Lazy Susan will work in this situation, since
the cabinets aren't the same width. It would have to be off center.
Also are there other options that I'm missing?
I want to have easy access to the far back corner,

Rob

Make the 24" door and drawer into a movable kitchen cart. Install two
or three full extension drawers into the dead space. This will let you
use most of the wasted space.

Grant

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On Oct 29, 11:55*am, rlz wrote:
I am planning on building new cabinets for my kitchen. *In one corner,
there are two base cabinets that are positioned currently so that they
only touch in the front. (leaving a empty space in the actual
corner), *One cabinet is 15" in width, the other is 24" in width. *I
want to creat one cabinet (L-shaped) that combines these two cabinets
and the dead space.

My question is whether a Lazy Susan will work in this situation, since
the cabinets aren't the same width. *It would have to be off center.
Also are there other options that I'm missing?
I want to have easy access to the far back corner,

You could put in a smaller lazy susan, you'd just be giving up space
and that far back corner. Check out the Rev-a-shelf line of products.

Anything you do to get back into that corner will be trading off space
for improved access with reduced storage.

We put in a folding door that crosses both cabinet fronts, within is a
set of lazy suzan shelves in the pure corner. I angled the back to keep
things from falling off the back. In that blind back space are the
connection boxes for various wires (phone, ethernet, cable television,
etc, that can be reached by removing 2 screws, much better than tearing
out a wall. I matched the cabinets by using a narrow on on the wider
side. The narrow cabinet (actually 2 side by side) have a whole cabinet
slider that holds spice bottles in one and flour, salt, sugar in jars in
the other. This has allowed my wife to use the corner for the bread
machine, mixer and other baking related stuff and get to her ingredients
without having to walk much. That means I get more fresh bread. She uses
the corner cabinet for mixing bowls, strainers and smaller cake pans.

I would say that about 80 percent of the space in the area is well used.