Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop heater

While the rainy season makes its debut here
in Northern Calif., my thoughts turn to heating
the shop.

I'm thinking of buying the Lee Valley shop heater:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...56,43465,44590

My shop is a single car garage stall so not
large at all. Fall/winter temps range from 55 - 75 most
days from Nov - March, though it could get warmer/cooler
almost any day during the season(s). And no, I wouldn't
need it when it's 70+ out.

Anyone has one of these, liked it, hated it or bought
something else?

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:
While the rainy season makes its debut here
in Northern Calif., my thoughts turn to heating
the shop.

I'm thinking of buying the Lee Valley shop heater:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...56,43465,44590

My shop is a single car garage stall so not
large at all. Fall/winter temps range from 55 - 75 most
days from Nov - March, though it could get warmer/cooler
almost any day during the season(s). And no, I wouldn't
need it when it's 70+ out.

Anyone has one of these, liked it, hated it or bought
something else?

MJ

Not sure about heating a shop, but I have one in an open shed where my
pecan cracker resides. The radiant heat keeps me warm without trying
to heat the air.

Radiant heat really shines in a situation where you are going to be
mostly in one place and you can aim it at that place. Especially if
you don't want to wait for the whole space to heat up.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A stitch in time would have confused
Einstein.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Some observations

You better have more than one circuit in your garage / shop. That takes the
whole 15amp capacity.

Need two if it's really cold. Face will be sunburned and your back will be
frozen from the radiant units I have experienced when really cold.

I may be trying the same thing this winter. Frozen spruce sometimes explodes
when cut, though.

"MJ" wrote in message
While the rainy season makes its debut here
in Northern Calif., my thoughts turn to heating
the shop.

I'm thinking of buying the Lee Valley shop heater:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...56,43465,44590

My shop is a single car garage stall so not
large at all. Fall/winter temps range from 55 - 75 most
days from Nov - March, though it could get warmer/cooler
almost any day during the season(s). And no, I wouldn't
need it when it's 70+ out.

Anyone has one of these, liked it, hated it or bought
something else?

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:
While the rainy season makes its debut here
in Northern Calif., my thoughts turn to heating
the shop.

I'm thinking of buying the Lee Valley shop heater:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...56,43465,44590

My shop is a single car garage stall so not
large at all. Fall/winter temps range from 55 - 75 most
days from Nov - March, though it could get warmer/cooler
almost any day during the season(s). And no, I wouldn't
need it when it's 70+ out.

Anyone has one of these, liked it, hated it or bought
something else?

It might be tough to heat without adequate insulation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try a portable Propane radiant double eye heater. More heat, cheaper to run
and can be moved to where you are working.

Posted to rec.woodworking

55-75 In Ohio I would be in a t-shirt.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
MJ wrote:

While the rainy season makes its debut here
in Northern Calif., my thoughts turn to heating
the shop.

I'm thinking of buying the Lee Valley shop heater:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...56,43465,44590

My shop is a single car garage stall so not
large at all. Fall/winter temps range from 55 - 75 most
days from Nov - March, though it could get warmer/cooler
almost any day during the season(s). And no, I wouldn't
need it when it's 70+ out.

Anyone has one of these, liked it, hated it or bought
something else?

MJ

I have 2 in my shop here in Michigan, on really cold days - I preheat
with propane and then keep it warm with the radiants - normally a 30
minute warm up to about 65 and then 8 to 12 hours with the radiants
running on Saturdays that I get to work in the shop.

A couple of keys - You need to mount it so it will point at where you
work. I tilt mine as I move from sawing to assembly - so that they stay
on the work area.

I on day when it is zero out, the pair will keep the shop at 55 to 60
degrees all day. Note my shop has 6 inches of insulation in all walls,
and 3/4 ply over the insulation. The ceiling has 18 inches off
insulation and a reflective white "dairy board" between the insulation
and the shop, to reflect the light and heat back. It is so well
insulated that the shop stays in the low seventies in the summer if I
keep the door closed.

Just for reference the shop is 20 by 30.

I will probably get one more of them since the price just dropped, and
set it at a 90 degree angle to the other 2 - so I can aim it at the
drill press and band saw.