Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My week

About a week ago, I was sanding with a PC ROS hooked up to my Shop Vac
QSP when the vac decided not to turn off and on with the sander. So off
to Woodcraft and came home with a Fein Turbo II. Much better, more
suction, etc. This weekend, Friday, went to Woodcraft for their open
house/sale. Sunday, the sander decided to random orbit about 10 times a
minute. Had the sander had any compassion, it would have died Thursday.
Today, off to Woodcraft again. Now the proud owner of a Festool ETS 125
EQ ROS. What a difference.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2010 2:46 PM, Jim in Milwaukee wrote:
About a week ago, I was sanding with a PC ROS hooked up to my Shop Vac
QSP when the vac decided not to turn off and on with the sander. So off
to Woodcraft and came home with a Fein Turbo II. Much better, more
suction, etc. This weekend, Friday, went to Woodcraft for their open
house/sale. Sunday, the sander decided to random orbit about 10 times a
minute. Had the sander had any compassion, it would have died Thursday.
Today, off to Woodcraft again. Now the proud owner of a Festool ETS 125
EQ ROS. What a difference.

I've got the RO 125, the RTS 400, and the DTS 400. There is a new one
that is being sold in Europe, the RO 90, that is supposedly due in NA
soon, that will be next on my list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66dWpd-6tm4

Amazing how much time these sanders save on a project ... and how much
cleanup time, to boot.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Damn, I thought it was only a smaller version of the bigger Rotex sanders
but a detail sander too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That was a pretty compelling video (picture worth a 1000 words)! I like
the way it reaches in the corners.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
wrote in message
I've got the RO 125, the RTS 400, and the DTS 400. There is a new one
that
is being sold in Europe, the RO 90, that is supposedly due in NA soon,
that will be next on my list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66dWpd-6tm4

Amazing how much time these sanders save on a project ... and how much
cleanup time, to boot.

Damn, I thought it was only a smaller version of the bigger Rotex sanders
but a detail sander too.

That was a pretty compelling video (picture worth a 1000 words)! I like
the way it reaches in the corners.

Bill

If I already did not have a Festool Rotex 125 the rectangle Festool 400 and
a Fein Multimaster I'd be waiting with out patience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2010 6:39 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Wonder what the price tag will be on this one.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

m...

wrote in message
[...]

My guess between $375 and $475.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 19, 4:30*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Jim in Milwaukee" wrote in messagenews:UIGdnTm3p64cOSDRnZ2dnUVZ_vWdnZ2d@super news.com...

On 10/18/2010 6:39 PM, Leon wrote:
*wrote in message
om...
[...]

Under 400... has to be.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 5:24*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

sunsabitches....... I neeeeeed one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:24:56 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

I still have to check and be sure the Rotek is really sanding. Too
quiet no dust I'll get used to it eventually. Find I'm really
disgusted when I use the belt sander with the mess.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote in message
[...]

I don't find it much quieter than my old PC right angle ROS unless you are
talking about the quiet from the vac also, but it took me about a year to
get use to no seeing dust. It really does make you wonder if you are doing
anything until you slide your hand across the surface.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Mike M" wrote in message

I still have to check and be sure the Rotek is really sanding. Too
quiet no dust I'll get used to it eventually. Find I'm really
disgusted when I use the belt sander with the mess.

Mike M

I don't find it much quieter than my old PC right angle ROS unless you
are talking about the quiet from the vac also, but it took me about a
year to get use to no seeing dust. It really does make you wonder if
you are doing anything until you slide your hand across the surface.

How are these on vibration? I can't use half the sanders out there
because they simply vibrate too much.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
"Leon" wrote in
:

"Mike M" wrote in message

I still have to check and be sure the Rotek is really sanding. Too
quiet no dust I'll get used to it eventually. Find I'm really
disgusted when I use the belt sander with the mess.

Mike M

I don't find it much quieter than my old PC right angle ROS unless you
are talking about the quiet from the vac also, but it took me about a
year to get use to no seeing dust. It really does make you wonder if
you are doing anything until you slide your hand across the surface.

How are these on vibration? I can't use half the sanders out there
because they simply vibrate too much.

Festool has a couple of "normal/standard" ROS with round disks. And the
ETS125 is absolutely silky smooth and you can simply set it down on the
work, turned on, and guide/push it with your finger if you chose to do that.
;~) Although not as aggressive as the Rotex sanders.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/o...er-571610.html

The Rotex sanders naturally have a bit more vibration especially in their
"belt sander" aggressive mode. My rectangle pad RTS400 sander does not make
my hand tingle after extensive use like both of my older PC SpeedBloc finish
sanders did and those things were pretty nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2010 4:24 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

I agree on the time and cleanup.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:46:53 -0500, Jim in Milwaukee
wrote:

About a week ago, I was sanding with a PC ROS hooked up to my Shop Vac
QSP when the vac decided not to turn off and on with the sander. So off
to Woodcraft and came home with a Fein Turbo II. Much better, more
suction, etc. This weekend, Friday, went to Woodcraft for their open
house/sale. Sunday, the sander decided to random orbit about 10 times a
minute. Had the sander had any compassion, it would have died Thursday.
Today, off to Woodcraft again. Now the proud owner of a Festool ETS 125
EQ ROS. What a difference.

Piece of advice, I find I get much better results with the white
"brilliant" paper than the red "rubin" which gave me no end of trouble
with swirl marks.

-Kevin