Lew Hodgett

Default concrete slab for workshop

"Ronald Murray" writes:

snip
Can you give me a
price on cement. Same response. We don't sell cement , we sell concrete.

So
I won't say where I told him to put his concrete. I'm sure he knew what I
was looking for. NEXT.

With an attitude like that, you definitely should do the job yourself.

You deserve what you will get.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

RB

Watch someone good with that "upside down helicopter." Then go rent one
and try it yourself. You'll then discover why you're not selling
paintings at the same price as Picasso, Renoir, Matisse, etc.

There is a difference between having the price of a brush and being a
"painter."

If I wasn't so busy I'd like to come and "watch."

RB

Ronald Murray wrote:
Hello Everyone

Thank-you very much for your honest opinions. We have not decided which way
to go yet. He doesn't have the permit yet either. We will get a few prices
from contractors to build & place the concrete , then decide from there.
Concrete is about $84 a cubic yd plus 15% tax. We figure around 6 yds to
pour a 6 inch thick slab. Plus we will need a pumper truck($200-300) & rent
one of those upside down helicopters to finish the concrete to a nice smooth
finish. That's Canadian dollars.
I called one concrete supplier for a price. To me cement & concrete are
kinda interchangeable words.When I asked for a price on cement , he advised
me that they don't sell cement. So I said sorry wrong number. I call the
number again out of the yellow pages. Same guy answers. Can you give me a
price on cement. Same response. We don't sell cement , we sell concrete. So
I won't say where I told him to put his concrete. I'm sure he knew what I
was looking for. NEXT.
ron
PS We are still leaning towards doing it ourselves. I'll keep you posted.

The Guy

RB wrote:
Watch someone good with that "upside down helicopter." Then go rent one
and try it yourself. You'll then discover why you're not selling
paintings at the same price as Picasso, Renoir, Matisse, etc.

There is a difference between having the price of a brush and being a
"painter."

If I wasn't so busy I'd like to come and "watch."

RB

Learning curves can sometimes be very amusing to watch. Every time I am
tempted to rent a "monster tool" for a one off project, I take a deep
breath and think about the video clips of early aviators and the silly
attempts to fly silly machines. Normally, by the time I am thinking
about the multi wing prop plane, the one with about eight or nine wings,
imploding, I get out the phone book and begin looking for someone who
does the job for a living.

Tim

--
No BoomBoom for me! -

RWoods4764

I BUILD A 30 X 40 POLE BARN IF YOUR GOING THAT WAY BEST TO SET POST SPEAD
GRAVEL AND THEN POUR CONCRETE USE AT LEAST 4000 LB OR STRONGER WITH FIBERGLASS
BE SURE NOT TO BROOM IT WILL PULL THE FIBERGLASS UP AND YOU WILL HAVE A MESS
BEST TO FINISH OUT

RWOODS
RemodGuy

.. We figure around 6 yds to pour a 6 inch thick slab.

By my quick math, a 16'x 20' x 6" slab is exactly 6 yds. if you only
order six, be prepared to come up short.

Concrete floor in Victorian flat - How is it held up ? Andy Hide UK diy 15 July 16th 04 02:22 AM
Concrete shed base Craig Graham UK diy 4 June 29th 04 06:46 AM
Remove concrete sealer from fresh concrete Steve Miles Metalworking 8 May 25th 04 02:37 PM
Preserving cross-grain slab Matt Poese Woodworking 1 August 29th 03 08:34 PM
Concrete slab advice John UK diy 12 July 11th 03 10:55 AM