Posted to rec.woodworking

Default continous tile flooring

I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I
perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold.
Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the
whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital
hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either
side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this
way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

Damn, sounds like my old dorm room on Monday mornings!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:19:49 -0700 (PDT), SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

Damn, sounds like my old dorm room on Monday mornings!!!

More similar than you might realise, some of the females are
neat and clean, others, not so much.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/19/2010 3:08 PM, basilisk wrote:
I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I
perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold.
Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the
whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital
hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either
side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this
way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

basilisk

It has been years since I watched this being done, so I don't remember
how they rounded it up, but the installer cut the flooring to fit the
area. Once they had all of the cuts and the floor covered they had a
machine that used a hot wire to melt the flooring and seal the joint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I
perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold.
Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the
whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital
hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either
side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this
way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

basilisk

the shelter where i work had a facility that had epoxy coating on the cement
slab that went about 6" up the wall. that made it pretty easy to mop or hose
out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:29:34 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

[...]

The room will be 9 and half feet X 15 feet, so I dont have to worry about
joining the seams, if I can get the edges rounded up.

I could build the curve out of flashing and "great stuff" behind it,
that would take a good quantity of foam though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:33:30 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

basilisk wrote:
[...]

I'll look into the epoxy idea, unfortunately this isn't going to be where
I can hose it out, but the ability to mop it easily is essential.
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote in
:

*snip*

I could build the curve out of flashing and "great stuff" behind it,
that would take a good quantity of foam though.

If you're going to build up something out of foam, start with a base of
the beadboard stuff or decent quality insulation foam (pink or blue).
Then if you need something to adhere to the foam and flooring, use the
great stuff. At ~$4 a can, vs $8 for a 4x8 sheet of 1" beadboard (prices
are approximate and probably outdated) you'll quickly get more than 2
cans worth of foam for the same price.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 19, 3:19*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

Damn, sounds like my old dorm room on Monday mornings!!!

Sounds like my grandkids have been around...Hey, if cost isn't a great
concern look up terazzo flooring. Continuous and seemless and seems
like it goes up the walls a bit too. Check out this link.

http://www.masterterrazzo.com/

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

snip

I could build the curve out of flashing and "great stuff" behind it,
that would take a good quantity of foam though.

I'd think a mortared cove would be better.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 19, 5:15*pm, Nova wrote:
basilisk wrote:

snip

I could build the curve out of flashing and "great stuff" behind it,
that would take a good quantity of foam though.

I'd think a mortared cove would be better.

The cove doesn't have to have a big radius. The objective is to
provide enough of a radius to allow the flooring to make a smooth
transition onto the wall, avoid a sharp corner which would eventually
crack, and to avoid having a tough-to-clean corner.

Mortar or thinset struck off with a screed cut to the proper radius is
an easy way to achieve the correct curvature.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:08:40 -0500, basilisk
wrote the following:

I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

Wouldn't you rather just ride your bike into a deer?
sigh

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

Sorry, the link was on wreck.metalheads, not here, so you probably
didn't catch my drift. Here ya go:
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10199/1073671-100.stm

with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs and the flooring
solution needs to offer easy clean up and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from one wall to the
other, plus all the clawing and chewing a confined dog can do.

Sorry, the link was on wreck.metalheads, not here, so you probably
didn't catch my drift. Here ya go:
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10199/1073671-100.stm

Must have been severely injured and was aware of it,
a rather unconventional approach to medicine.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

Damn, sounds like my old dorm room on Monday mornings!!!

I was thinking Barracks ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:20:43 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

basilisk wrote:
I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I
perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold.
Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the
whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital
hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either
side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this
way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

basilisk

I've buily two of them to use as cycloramas for photography.

The first was about 50 years ago. I built a wood frame and bent masonite to
it. Fine for me, no good for you, too great a radius.

The second time I just ran mortar along the wall and stuck it off. Worked
fine, radius was about the size of a softball.

I think you and Nova are right, the material to mortar in a radius
will be cheap and won't take long to do.

At 9.5 feet wide I can extend the sheet flooring about 16 inches
up the wall, which is a good 8 inches taller than a corgis butt,
all the waste should wind up where it can be mopped.

Walls are going to be 3/8 plywood overlaid with 1/8 melamine
hardboard, should be very durable and sanitary.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DUH - continous tile flooring

basilisk wrote:
I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I
perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold.
Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the
whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital
hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either
side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this
way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

Dilbert's Ultimate House (DUH) is currently offline but you can find a
picture he
http://insomnic.wordpress.com/2007/1...ltimate-house/

As I recall, he had a pet room that was tiled. Again, from my porous memory,
it had:

* Sloped floors to a central drain.
* A shelf next to the windows that held kitties looking out as well as their
needs (food, water, litter box). The cats could jump up to take care of
business, but the dogs couldn't get to the cat's food.
*. A hose bib and hose hanger on the wall.
* Storage cabinets.
* Double doors, one with a cat/dog door. Homeowner could close the second
door preventing exit by the animal from the pet room.
* Room also opened to the outside of the home.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 03:27:34 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote the following:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

Damn, sounds like my old dorm room on Monday mornings!!!

I was thinking Barracks ...

Then I'm damned glad I missed both. shudder And if I had my
druthers, dogs would be debarked and all new dogs would be bred
-without- their goddamned vocal cords.

with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote in message
I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I
perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold.
Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the
whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital
hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either
side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this
way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

basilisk

It's called cove stick.
Just glue or nail it into the floor/wall intersection.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:59:40 -0700, Artemus wrote:

"basilisk" wrote in message
I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I
perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold.
Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the
whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital
hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either
side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this
way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

basilisk

It's called cove stick.
Just glue or nail it into the floor/wall intersection.
Art

Thanks Art, that looks like what I need.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
basilisk wrote:
I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I
perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold.
Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the
whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital
hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either
side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this
way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

A lot of that kind of flooring is 'built in place'.

A _liquid_ vinyl that is poured, and then carried up the wall
using a brush/roller.

The radiusing on any significant change of direction is not
a requirement for the material being used. It _is_ a requirement
for sanitation purposes, because it eliminates a 'corner' for stuff
to collect in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Then I'm damned glad I missed both. shudder And if I had my
druthers, dogs would be debarked and all new dogs would be bred
-without- their goddamned vocal cords.

Dogs can be trained not to bark. It's the owners that should be fined. $1000
per complaint would probably catch their attention.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:48:58 -0700, "CW"
wrote the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Then I'm damned glad I missed both. shudder And if I had my
druthers, dogs would be debarked and all new dogs would be bred
-without- their goddamned vocal cords.

Dogs can be trained not to bark. It's the owners that should be fined. $1000
per complaint would probably catch their attention.

As it is now, owners can't be guaranteed to quiet their dogs, and pet
owners appear to have a larger lobby than teachers.

The c*nt next door says she -wants- her dogs to bark, get this: to
-prove- they're watch dogs! thud

When I'm king, all pets will be outlawed. Want animals? Go to a zoo
or buy a ranch. Feh!

with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.woodworking

This is called a "flash cove" base on a sheetgoods floor. There
are many references and illustrations, here is one:
http://www.floorexpert.com/armstrong...a?OpenDocument

--
DanG