Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Replace/weld Carbide tooth

All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob AZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 12:34*am, Bob AZ wrote:
All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob *AZ

Any decent sharpening company can replace teeth. You do need to look
at cost though. It can get expensive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2010 12:34 AM, Bob AZ wrote:
All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Foley-Belsaw will sell you the teeth in packs of 25 for around 10 bucks
(exact price depends on the size and shape of the teeth--some are more
than 10, some are less) or an assortment for around 65.
https://shop-foley-belsaw.com/ and search on "tip".

But if you're not already set up to do this, you'll find that any decent
sharpening service can attach new teeth, grind them to match the others,
and rebalance the blade for a reasonable price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 21:34:52 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ
wrote the following:

All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Yes, silver-brazed, saw sharpening shop, $5-8 per if they do it.

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob AZ wrote:
All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Admittedly, it's been a while since I had some teeth replaced, but they
charged me $2/tooth for new carbide. Obviously, a few can be worth it,
but the costs add up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 12:34 am, Bob AZ wrote:
All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Any decent sharpening company can replace teeth. You do need to look
at cost though. It can get expensive.

Last time I paid for this service, $2.50 per tooth. Since he said 2 of
them have "a" tooth missing the cost should not be prohibitive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 12:34 am, Bob AZ wrote:
All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Any decent sharpening company can replace teeth. You do need to look
at cost though. It can get expensive.

Last time I paid for this service, $2.50 per tooth. Since he said 2 of
them have "a" tooth missing the cost should not be prohibitive.

How well does it work? I'd be a bit worried about a tooth flying off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 12:34*am, Bob AZ wrote:
All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob *AZ

Soldered, actually. Silver-copper alloy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/10 6:50 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
Last time I paid for this service, $2.50 per tooth. Since he said 2 of
them have "a" tooth missing the cost should not be prohibitive.

How well does it work? I'd be a bit worried about a tooth flying off.

It's how they're put on in the first place.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 7/18/10 6:50 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
Last time I paid for this service, $2.50 per tooth. Since he said 2 of
them have "a" tooth missing the cost should not be prohibitive.

How well does it work? I'd be a bit worried about a tooth flying off.

It's how they're put on in the first place.

Yeah, I been smacking myself in the forehead since I realized he meant
carbide tip and not the whole tooth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 12:55*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 18, 12:34*am, Bob *AZ wrote:

All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob *AZ

Any decent sharpening company can replace teeth. You do need to look
at cost though. It can get expensive.

It *might* be possible to run them with one or two teeth missing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 12:34*am, Bob *AZ wrote:

All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob *AZ

Any decent sharpening company can replace teeth. You do need to look
at cost though. It can get expensive.

It *might* be possible to run them with one or two teeth missing.

OH, sure, Ollie. Yust knock one off d opposite side, ya.

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19 July, 05:44, Larry Jaques wrote:

OH, sure, Ollie. Yust knock one off d opposite side, ya.

Been there, done that....

It's usually better (symmetry permitting) to take them off in threes

If you don't hold with such shade-tree engineering, then look at the
history of Art Arfons and his Green Monster. If you can do it to a
jet engine and set a land speed record afterwards...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 12:34 am, Bob AZ wrote:
All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Any decent sharpening company can replace teeth. You do need to look
at cost though. It can get expensive.

Last time I paid for this service, $2.50 per tooth. Since he said 2 of
them have "a" tooth missing the cost should not be prohibitive.

How well does it work? I'd be a bit worried about a tooth flying off.

It works the same as when the blade was originally made.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 12:34 am, Bob AZ wrote:
All

I picked up a bunch of saw blades and two of them have a carbide tooth
missing. Are replacement teeth available to weld on or does this not
happen?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Any decent sharpening company can replace teeth. You do need to look
at cost though. It can get expensive.

Last time I paid for this service, $2.50 per tooth. Since he said 2 of
them have "a" tooth missing the cost should not be prohibitive.

How well does it work? I'd be a bit worried about a tooth flying off.

As well as any of the other teeth. This is a very common repair by a
sharpening service.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, you can run them like that especailly if they are not next to
each other.

Any good saw shop can replace them. Price varies widely. $2.50 to $8
is probably a pretty good range.

Saw teeth whether new or replacement, should never come off whole and
should be very hard to break. The technology is there.

You might take them to a good shop and have them check them out for
flatness or you can do it yourself.

See: http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pag...aw-Blades.html

Tom