Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John Grossbohlin

Default LI Woodworker's Show

I went to the LI Woodworker's Show today via a bus trip with other members
of the Northeastern Woodworkers Association.

It was a nice show! There were plenty of vendors there to drain the funds
from your wallet and I saw some good prices on big iron. The items made by
club members were interesting to review also... I even saw a piece that was
entered in the same category as my chest of drawers at Woodworker's Showcase
last month! It never occurred to me to enter the chest in the LI show but I
suppose the logistics of getting it there and back would have been quite a
challenge. I'm not sure how far it is in miles but it took us about 3 hours
of drive time to get there from my Mid-Hudson location on the bus. Making a
six + hour round trip a couple of time in three days would have taken all
the fun out of it!

Personally, I enjoy going to the seminars at these shows. The one today by
Mario Rodriquez, "Transitional Corner Chair" was very interesting. Using a
corner chair as his model he explained a lot about the details that make a
piece of furniture interesting and well made... the details that the judges
look for when they judge items at shows. It was the kind of information that
I can use while constructing future pieces.

If there's a bus trip next year and the timing works out I anticipate going
to the show again. I'd recommend dropping by Sunday 4/18 if you have the
time.

John