Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool for Routing Thin Plastic Shell?

I need to precise route cut into a plastic shell. The plastic is ABS and
is about 3/8" thick. I need my route to just barely penetrate the shell,
or just barely fall short of penetrating so I can finish off the cut by
hand. The key thing is we don't want to cut up the objects that are
behind the shell (batteries).

What portable handheld tools would let me dial in the depth of a route to
1/32" precision? The width of the route channel doesn't matter for this
application.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:03:42 -0700, "W"
wrote:
What portable handheld tools would let me dial in the depth of a route to
1/32" precision? The width of the route channel doesn't matter for this
application.

Is the plastic shell completely flat or rounded? If it's not
completely flat, then you've got some difficulties.

You could use a Dremel type tool and grind it away. The problem with
using any router type tool is that using it handheld, you're not going
to be as accurate as you want and face the possibility of your hand
slipping and cutting right through the shell.

My best advice would be the Dremel and you sneaking up on the depth
you want to cut to.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 June, 09:13, Upscale wrote:

You could use a Dremel type tool and grind it away. The problem with
using any router type tool is that using it handheld, you're not going
to be as accurate as you want and face the possibility of your hand
slipping and cutting right through the shell.

Dremel sell a "tile cutting" jig that's a small support collar for use
as a router. It's a very useful gadget.

I'd do through cuts, as these are easier to cut (no worries from the
bottom) and in particular they reduce the heat generated when cutting,
thus avoiding some of the swarf-welding trouble. Leave "postage stamp"
joiners in the cut-line, until you're ready to break it all free.
Posted to rec.woodworking

W wrote:
I need to precise route cut into a plastic shell. The plastic is
ABS and is about 3/8" thick. I need my route to just barely
penetrate the shell, or just barely fall short of penetrating so I
can finish off the cut by hand. The key thing is we don't want to
cut up the objects that are behind the shell (batteries).

What portable handheld tools would let me dial in the depth of a
route to 1/32" precision? The width of the route channel doesn't
matter for this application.

Laminate trimmer?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ter-44914.html

I've got one. They take standard 1/4" router bits and I've used it for a
number of free-hand projects. Your trick might be finding the correct bit
for your application.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2010 4:03 AM, W wrote:
I need to precise route cut into a plastic shell. The plastic is ABS and
is about 3/8" thick. I need my route to just barely penetrate the shell,
or just barely fall short of penetrating so I can finish off the cut by
hand. The key thing is we don't want to cut up the objects that are
behind the shell (batteries).

What portable handheld tools would let me dial in the depth of a route to
1/32" precision? The width of the route channel doesn't matter for this
application.

Have you considered a hot knife? Melts the plastic and doesn't need a
sharp edge so won't cut into the batteries unless they are plastic. You
can get a kit for under 20 bucks from Sears or get the cheapest
soldering iron you can find and pound the tip flat with a hammer. You
can control the depth by grinding or filing the tip to the shape you need.