Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is this thin-wall plastic tube?

In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

It was way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe. So thin
that it's somewhat transluscent.

What is this stuff called and what is it supposed to be used for?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, Tim Shoppa wrote:
In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

It was way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe. So thin
that it's somewhat transluscent.

What is this stuff called and what is it supposed to be used for?

Sounds like something that might be used in conjunction with
a swimming pool or fish tank. I assume you're not in the
habit of syphoning your gas out of the neighbors cars ;-)

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:24 pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article .com, Tim Shoppa wrote:

In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

It was way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe. So thin
that it's somewhat transluscent.

What is this stuff called and what is it supposed to be used for?

Sounds like something that might be used in conjunction with
a swimming pool or fish tank. I assume you're not in the
habit of syphoning your gas out of the neighbors cars ;-)

Oh, no, I use flexible tubing to avoid visiting the gas station :-).

The pipe I'm asking about is not flexible.

It also has a strange pot-metal or maybe aluminum fitting attached at
one end, looks like it is barbed to take another piece of tubing.

Some form of irrigation tubing? Can't be from my yard, no irrigation
system there, I just wonder what it's called because I want some
lightweight tubing for a different project of mine and this stuff
would be ideal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:38 pm, Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

Uh, if you need some lightweight tubing for a project, why don't you
use what you found in the garage? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

Could be PEX, but the description sound too "lightweight".

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://thestuccocompany.com/maintena...be-263350-.htm
:
Tim Shoppa wrote:

In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

It was way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe. So thin
that it's somewhat transluscent.

What is this stuff called and what is it supposed to be used for?

Electrical conduit of sorts? Hard to tell for sure. Are there any markings
on it? In any case, if your new project does not involve liquids or
pressure, why would you care?

\//.
-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://thestuccocompany.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:18:35 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

Could be PEX, but the description sound too "lightweight".

I thought PEX, but OP states it is not flexible.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds sort of like some stuff I had to feed a flat 300 ohm TV line
through a wall once. Flange on one end, fixed to tube. Drill hole to
fit. Put movable flange on other end, retain with screw. Cut tube to
length.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Shoppa wrote in
oups.com:

In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

It was way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe. So thin
that it's somewhat transluscent.

What is this stuff called and what is it supposed to be used for?

Everybody else is guessing so what the heck.

From your past project or just appeared? Got central vac? Don't they run
some kind of plastic pipe in new construction, suck some string through
then pull wires? Really a WAG.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 2, 1:56 pm, Tim Shoppa wrote:
In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

It was way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe. So thin
that it's somewhat transluscent.

What is this stuff called and what is it supposed to be used for?

If it's 1 1/4' or 1 1/2" diameter it is Delrin drain pipe for lavatory
or kitchen sink. Used in place of chrome plated brass usually. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 2, 8:01 pm, Joe wrote:
On Nov 2, 1:56 pm, Tim Shoppa wrote:

In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

It was way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe. So thin
that it's somewhat transluscent.

What is this stuff called and what is it supposed to be used for?

If it's 1 1/4' or 1 1/2" diameter it is Delrin drain pipe for lavatory
or kitchen sink. Used in place of chrome plated brass usually. HTH

Joe

Oops, missed the OP part about 1/2" diameter. Still think it's a
Delrin molding, though.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/2/2007 6:42 PM Red Green said the following:
Tim Shoppa wrote in
oups.com:

In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white
(probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less
thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

It was way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe. So thin
that it's somewhat transluscent.

What is this stuff called and what is it supposed to be used for?

Everybody else is guessing so what the heck.

From your past project or just appeared? Got central vac? Don't they run
some kind of plastic pipe in new construction, suck some string through
then pull wires? Really a WAG.

My central vac tubing is 1-3/4" grey plastic. The wires don't go through
it. They are taped along the outside of the tube. You don't want
anything in the tube to catch debris and get clogged.
I installed the central vac myself, when the house was framed and
plumbed, but not rocked yet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

Uh, how about, oh I dunno... a picture? What with today's silicone chips
and such...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"a" wrote in message newsSZWi.3319$8S5.2244@edtnps82...
Tim Shoppa wrote:
On Nov 2, 3:24 pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article .com, Tim
Shoppa wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it might be cold water dip tube for a water heater.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DA" wrote in message
om...
DA had written this in response to
http://thestuccocompany.com/maintena...be-263350-.htm
:

Wonderful - another web site that takes a newsgroup and reposts it as if they
were providing it.

Bob