Martin Pisz

Default Dewalt Buscuit jointer

What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond of
dewalt products, they seem to be mostly big on marketing and little on
quality. However it's on sale for $220 Canadian and Makita is $360. I
like Makita and Milwakee products a lot more. I only will use it from time
to time, I'm not a professional in this bussiness. No body else really
makes them anymore. What are your opinions?
B a r r y

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:43:28 -0600, Martin Pisz
wrote:

What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond of
dewalt products, they seem to be mostly big on marketing and little on
quality. However it's on sale for $220 Canadian and Makita is $360. I
like Makita and Milwakee products a lot more. I only will use it from time
to time, I'm not a professional in this bussiness. No body else really
makes them anymore. What are your opinions?

I like mine, it's seen some pretty heavy use and is holding up well.
It seems to hold an adjustment fine and is as accurate as I need it to
be. The Porter Cable version does FF (extra small face frame)
biscuits, the DeWalt does not.

Since I usually use pocket holes on face frames, I'd buy the DeWalt
again.

The ultra high end model is Lameillo, but I haven't seen why I'd need
to spend more money. Lamiello owners can probably tell you what I'm
missing. I haven't used the Makita, so I can't do a direct
comparison.

Barry
Edwin Pawlowski

"Martin Pisz" wrote in message
What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond

of
dewalt products, they seem to be mostly big on marketing and little on
quality. However it's on sale for $220 Canadian and Makita is $360. I
like Makita and Milwakee products a lot more. I only will use it from

time
to time, I'm not a professional in this bussiness. No body else really
makes them anymore. What are your opinions?

I'm not a pro either and the DeWalt performs well for me. It makes slots,
the biscuits fit, it can be adjusted for different heights and angles.

Overall, it is a simple design and simple tool. It does what it is intended
to do. I've not used other brands, but I'm not inclined to ever think about
trading for another either.
Ed

Barry Lennox

wrote:

What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond of
dewalt products, they seem to be mostly big on marketing and little on
quality. However it's on sale for $220 Canadian and Makita is $360. I
like Makita and Milwakee products a lot more. I only will use it from time
to time, I'm not a professional in this bussiness. No body else really
makes them anymore. What are your opinions?

I had read a lot of reviews, and had settled on either the DeWalt or
Makita. I went to the WW show in Springfield MA, and spent sometime
comparing them closely, including a few sample biscuits. Nothing could
really separate them, but the Makita was about $5 cheaper, so that did
it, I have been very happy with it.

Barry Lennox
mttt

"Martin Pisz" wrote in message

What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond

of

I like mine. DJ Marks evidently likes his - it's the one he uses on his
show. That didn't influence my decision - picking it up new for $99 USD
(Woodcraft special at a woodworking show) was the major factor.

Tom Kohlman

A million years ago Dewalt was the "bargain brand" for either B&D or Skil
(can't remember which). Maybe the dislike for the brand goes back a long
time. Times have changed. They match up pretty well with PC and Milwaukee
(for a short period of time the latter wouldn't have been in the same class
but we can talk about them again as they have been brought back to the
premier league by the German outfit that almost killed them).

"mttt" wrote in message

"Martin Pisz" wrote in message

What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond

of

I like mine. DJ Marks evidently likes his - it's the one he uses on his
show. That didn't influence my decision - picking it up new for $99 USD
(Woodcraft special at a woodworking show) was the major factor.

Preston Andreas

I tried the DeWalt and the PC and ended up choosing the Dewalt for two
reasons. One, 90+% of my plate joining is 90° edge joining which both do.
I haven't had an occasion where I need the small biscuits. Although the
fence of the DeWalt isn't as versatile as the one on the PC, it still can do
inside and outside angle joining if I need the capability.

The main reason I bought the DeWalt (after I found out both would serve my
purpose) is the DeWalt felt more comfortable to use and it seemed to have a
better balance. I haven't regretted the decision.

Preston

"Martin Pisz" wrote in message
What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond

of
dewalt products, they seem to be mostly big on marketing and little on
quality. However it's on sale for $220 Canadian and Makita is $360. I
like Makita and Milwakee products a lot more. I only will use it from

time
to time, I'm not a professional in this bussiness. No body else really
makes them anymore. What are your opinions?

Jeffo

First off, $360CAD seems a bit high for the Makita, I've seen it for $300CAD
at Art's Tools on St Catharines. A Home Hardware or Canadian Tire should be
able to get it for you at a decent price if there is one local to you. Why
am I saying this? Because I like the Makita, tho I can really only compare
it to the PC 557, both of which I placed above the Dewalt. To me Dewalt seem
more like construction/carpentry tools than for cabinetry and joinery. My
main criteria was that I wanted to be able to cut a slot in a mitre from the
outside face a board. This, IMO, is the way they should be cut, especially
when it is the outside face that will be visible. I hope that makes sense.

The PC seemed like a better value - more power, face frame cutter, a little
more versatile, an unobstructed dust port, $10 more... The dust port on the
Mak would plug when cutting solid wood, but now so does the PC, so much for
that. In a year, I've never used the face frame cutter - usually I can let a
biscuit hang out and cut it off later, this will get trimmed over later. In
use the PC doesn't feel much more powerful, they both cut fine. Then there
is the fence - Mak placed the adjusters on the front, leaving the sides
clear (no knobs to get caught) and is a bit narrower so it can get closer to
corners. The scale is also part of the casting rather than applied. A couple
times the scale on my PC has caught something and bent, not a big deal, just
an annoyance. The plastic centering plate that comes with the PC is also
handy as a spacer. Ideally it would be nice to have them both. If I were to
choose one again it would be the Makita, a simple machine where it counts,
no bells and whistles, no annoyances.

Now how does this relate to the Dewalt? I'd say it depends on what you want
it to do and what you're willing to pay. If you'll be doing mainly face
frames and butt joints the Dewalt should work fine, and it will cut mitres,
just not my way. If you want a joiner that is more adept at cabinetry go
Makita. Any questions, let me know.

HTH,
Jeffo

"Martin Pisz" wrote in message
What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond

of
dewalt products, they seem to be mostly big on marketing and little on
quality. However it's on sale for $220 Canadian and Makita is $360. I
like Makita and Milwakee products a lot more. I only will use it from

time
to time, I'm not a professional in this bussiness. No body else really
makes them anymore. What are your opinions?

Ed G

snip
I only will use it from time
to time, I'm not a professional in this bussiness. No body else really
makes them anymore. What are your opinions?

I've used the PC, but I bought a King. $120 Canadian and it does everything
I need it to do. If I ever wear it out, I'll know, then, that I need a
really good one and I'll buy a Lamello.

Ed

Daniel

The DeWalt joiner has an interesting "feature" that is not available on
the PC: the base plate has a bit of extra flat portion that you can use
to clamp your joiner to something with.

http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=16079
Currently $200 CAD at House of Tools (no affiliation -- I've purchased
mail-order from there before and they are ok for brand-name tools that
you know won't vary