Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Apricot wood

....has anyone done work with apricot? I'm doing a renovation and
there's a dead apricot tree in the back yard that will get the
chainsaw treatment soon...it's got a thickish trunk (maybe 12" in
diameter) and several hefty limbs...there's a decent mill available as
I doin't have the bandsaw capability...

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chasgroh" wrote in message
...has anyone done work with apricot? I'm doing a renovation and
there's a dead apricot tree in the back yard that will get the
chainsaw treatment soon...it's got a thickish trunk (maybe 12" in
diameter) and several hefty limbs...there's a decent mill available as
I doin't have the bandsaw capability...

cg

I'd use it for smoking barbecue, especially the limbs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/24/2010 4:29 PM, Chasgroh wrote:
...has anyone done work with apricot? I'm doing a renovation and
there's a dead apricot tree in the back yard that will get the
chainsaw treatment soon...it's got a thickish trunk (maybe 12" in
diameter) and several hefty limbs...there's a decent mill available as
I doin't have the bandsaw capability...

cg

I recall some one making items from Apricot and saying that it was good
to work.Having seen images of the items it appears to be a very nice timber.

I beleive it was on the Aussie woodwork forums that I saw the posting
with images.A search there for apricot would find the post.

Ive just acquired a ute load of Australian native pear logs ,and I can't
wait until the wood is dry enough to start working it.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/index.php

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chasgroh" wrote in message
....has anyone done work with apricot? I'm doing a renovation and
there's a dead apricot tree in the back yard that will get the
chainsaw treatment soon...it's got a thickish trunk (maybe 12" in
diameter) and several hefty limbs...there's a decent mill available as
I doin't have the bandsaw capability...

cg

Sounds like it would be exciting just to find out!
I would love to see some photos of it when you get it milled and after you
get it all finished up.

K.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chasgroh wrote:
: ...has anyone done work with apricot? I'm doing a renovation and
: there's a dead apricot tree in the back yard that will get the
: chainsaw treatment soon...it's got a thickish trunk (maybe 12" in
: diameter) and several hefty limbs...there's a decent mill available as
: I doin't have the bandsaw capability...

It's a superb turning wood.
What it's like as lumber I don;t know, but I would imagine it's very close
grained, and that can be nice in something like a jewelry box.
If it were mine I'd keep some pieces for turning, cu the rest into boards
and make something to remember the tree by.

-- Andy Barss