Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sad departures

"DerbyDad03" wrote

:: What is your opinion of Morris Dovey's sentiments?

:: If we were to archive pages from your site on our personal systems,
would you consider it "stealing" or "preserving"?

To be candid, having been on holiday, I've forgotten Morris's sentiments,
but when putting stuff on the internet I've always been aware that I've lost
control of it's eventual use. I gather that applications do exist for easily
downloading entire web sites.

I know how much people's hobbies can mean to them; my aim is to help folk
get good results by following time-honoured and sound techniques. I first
started this site when woodworking groups could only use ASCCII code to
construct drawings but it has extended to re-using material already
published (and paid for) that otherwise would be sitting on my hard drive
and doing nothing very useful.

Since it is freely offered, logically I can't see it as stealing, but I'd be
shocked if content (especially the pics) was copied 'verbatim' and blatantly
offered as someone's original work.

Fairly recently I saw that somebody has done a sketchup drawing of my ramped
shooting board (http://tinyurl.com/24zpu7a) but since he/she did acknowledge
the source, that was pleasing and OK by me. However, I don't know what I
would think if, as is extremely unlikely, somebody offered them for sale in
quantity without prior contact.

However it would make my day if, as has happened in the past, folk who
thought that the content was worth the trouble of archiving were also kind
enough to tell me. My slightly disguised email address is at the foot of
each posting, but not (so far) on the site itself.

The new, much-easier-to-use software that prompted me to restore the site
does offer a comment box but so far I'm a bit wary of trying it.

Jeff

Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
ISP is clara.co.uk
www.amgron.clara.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2010 7:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What is your opinion of Morris Dovey's sentiments?

If we were to archive pages from your site on our personal systems,
would you consider it "stealing" or "preserving"?

To alleviate your obvious distress at my sentiments, the web page with
the offending copyrights has been moved to a private area on the server.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar