Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Buy a jig or have them done by CNC?

Hi All

I am hoping someone may be able to give some insight, I wish to make some
fitted book selves. I intend to use pegs to support / adjust the shelves,
and I am concerned about how to drill the holes accurately. I am currently
considering two options, buying a jig like this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...55&src=froogle and using
this or sending them to a local CNC routing company and having them do it.
As way of background I would say I am ok when it comes to woodwork but I am
certainly no cabinet maker. I am likely to build shelves again but not on a
regular basis. Any advice or alternative options would be appreciated.

Cheers
Stuart

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:09:36 +0100, "Stuart Pearson"
wrote:

Hi All

I am hoping someone may be able to give some insight, I wish to make some

Why are you posting this question again?

Hi

Sorry, news reader must be playing up,

Cheers
Stuart

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 22:54:35 +0100, "Stuart Pearson"
wrote:

Sorry, news reader must be playing up,

Saw that a little later. Both have the same time stamp.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stuart Pearson" wrote in message
Hi All

I am hoping someone may be able to give some insight, I wish to
make some
fitted book selves. I intend to use pegs to support / adjust the
shelves,
and I am concerned about how to drill the holes accurately. I
am currently
considering two options, buying a jig like this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...55&src=froogle
and using
this or sending them to a local CNC routing company and having
them do it.
As way of background I would say I am ok when it comes to
woodwork but I am
certainly no cabinet maker. I am likely to build shelves again
but not on a
regular basis. Any advice or alternative options would be
appreciated.

Consider getting the metal strips and routing them in. No skill
is needed, other than the proper flat-bottomed router bit and a
straight edge to guide the router. The cut, as I recall, is about
3/16" deep by 5/8" wide per strip to get them flush, and then
shelf support clips snap in and can be adjusted as desired.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stuart Pearson" wrote in message
Hi All

I am hoping someone may be able to give some insight, I wish to make some
fitted book selves. I intend to use pegs to support / adjust the shelves,
and I am concerned about how to drill the holes accurately. I am
currently
considering two options, buying a jig like this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...55&src=froogle and using
this or sending them to a local CNC routing company and having them do it.
As way of background I would say I am ok when it comes to woodwork but I
am
certainly no cabinet maker. I am likely to build shelves again but not on
regular basis. Any advice or alternative options would be appreciated.

Cheers
Stuart

I have been using this jig for 15+ years and have drilled thousands of holes
with it.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...f%20hole%20jig