Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oval picture frame

I have an oval picture for which I would like to make a frame. I can
draw the oval

As I see it there would be two parts in cutting the oval.
----- The oval cut that would eventually frame the picture.
----- The rabbet cut to hold the picture.

I have the following tools available to me:

1. Table saw (I have no idea how this could be used)
2. Standard size non plunge router with router table.
3. Dremmel with spiral cut bit and other router bits.
4. Jig saw.
5. Drill press with brad point and Forstner bits.

Can I get suggestions making the cutout for the picture.

Finishing the outside edges is obvious.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2010 12:08 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have an oval picture for which I would like to make a frame. I can
draw the oval

As I see it there would be two parts in cutting the oval.
----- The oval cut that would eventually frame the picture.
----- The rabbet cut to hold the picture.

I have the following tools available to me:

1. Table saw (I have no idea how this could be used)
2. Standard size non plunge router with router table.
3. Dremmel with spiral cut bit and other router bits.
4. Jig saw.
5. Drill press with brad point and Forstner bits.

Can I get suggestions making the cutout for the picture.

More Information:

Major axis length (longest "diameter")
Minor axis length (shortest "diameter")
Stock thickness.

One more tool:

Analytic Geometry

Let 2a = major axis
let 2b = minor axis

There will be two foci (on the major axis)

The distance from the center to either focus is sqrt(a^2 - b^2)

The equation, if you want to plot an ellipse is

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

Or, if you want to construct an ellipse:

push a pin into each of the foci
tie a string to each pin so that if you pull the string taut with a
pencil point, the pencil point will just touch a point at a distance b
from the center on the perpendicular bisector of a line between the two
foci.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is

Once you've drawn it, you can freehand rout the opening - and can then
use a rabbet bit to cut for the glass and photo.

FWIW - this project begs for a spindle sander. ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 3/29/2010 1:20 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:
[...]

I'm such a dumb redneck. I probably would have just traced the
picture. Then told the wife I need a bandsaw and a spindle sander.

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2010 12:55 PM, LdB wrote:

I'm such a dumb redneck. I probably would have just traced the picture.
Then told the wife I need a bandsaw and a spindle sander.

Be a _smart_ redneck - tell 'er you need a CNC router and /maybe/ a
bandsaw and a spindle sander after that. :-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

LdB wrote in
m:

I'm such a dumb redneck. I probably would have just traced the
picture. Then told the wife I need a bandsaw and a spindle sander.

LdB

You also need a welder and file set to make the cut with a bandsaw and not
cut through the frame. Oh, and something to cut the bandsaw blade again
after it's done.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 10:08*am, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have an oval picture for which I would like to make a frame. I can

Can I get suggestions making the cutout for the picture.

Finishing the outside edges is obvious.

You would probably go with an elipse cutting jig\tramel something like
this (there are lots of them out there)
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...Ellipses..html

The basic steps one would typically follow is...
- Cut a template from MDF or other easy to cut material using the jig
- Use the template to draw the shape on your blank stock
- Cut the blank stock close to finish size with band\jig\scroll\ect.
saw
- Use the template to finish rout the real part using a bearing
\pattern bit.

For an oval you might want to be creative on the glue up of some stock
using sticks to get a rough shape, maybe using half lap joints.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Two thumbtacks and a closed string. Calculate the foci's points
from the major and minor axis. Simple algebra.
Once you know - then any size can be done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse

simply :

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1
where b^2 = a^2 - c^2.

where a is 1/2 long diameter and b = 1/2 short diameter
and c is 1/2 the length between pins.

Martin

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Finishing the outside edges is obvious.

P.S. Thanks for the meaty actual woodworking post. ;^)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
I have an oval picture for which I would like to make a frame. I can draw
the oval

As I see it there would be two parts in cutting the oval.
----- The oval cut that would eventually frame the picture.
----- The rabbet cut to hold the picture.

I have the following tools available to me:

1. Table saw (I have no idea how this could be used)
2. Standard size non plunge router with router table.
3. Dremmel with spiral cut bit and other router bits.
4. Jig saw.
5. Drill press with brad point and Forstner bits.

Can I get suggestions making the cutout for the picture.

Finishing the outside edges is obvious.

If you only need one and can draw it, draw it up and cut it out with a
jigsaw. Leave a bit of excess. Put a sanding drum in your drill press and
sand to the line. Use a rabbet bit for the recess.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

I have an oval picture for which I would like to make a
frame. I can draw the oval

As I see it there would be two parts in cutting the oval.
----- The oval cut that would eventually frame the picture.
----- The rabbet cut to hold the picture.

I have the following tools available to me:

1. Table saw (I have no idea how this could be used)
2. Standard size non plunge router with router table.
3. Dremmel with spiral cut bit and other router bits.
4. Jig saw.
5. Drill press with brad point and Forstner bits.

Can I get suggestions making the cutout for the picture.

Finishing the outside edges is obvious.

I'd get a piece of MDF to use for a template. After
deciphering Morris' instructions on how to draw an oval, cut
it out close with your jigsaw. Smooth it up with a drum sander
in your drill press. Cut the real material with the jigsaw as
close as you can to the correct shape. Using double-stick
tape, adhere the template to the real material. Then use a
flush trim router bit to copy the shape of your template. If
you can get this far the rabbet is the easy part.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

In my opinion if you are going to do it freehand, then skip the
template step and just free hand the blank. My whole reason for a
template is to use a trammel and\or other precise methods to form the
shape and it is easier and cleaner to hog it out from MDF. Then you
can free hand the blank down to very close to the actual finish shape
and use the template to guide a trim pass.

On Mar 29, 5:52*pm, Larry wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote :

[...]

Larry- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2010 12:08 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have an oval picture for which I would like to make a frame. I can
draw the oval

I did a cursory search but can't find it, but David J. Marks had a
helluva good episode on making an oval mirror(IRRC) frame ... would
really be worthwhile tracking down the show.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 3/29/2010 12:08 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I have an oval picture for which I would like to make a frame. I can
draw the oval

I did a cursory search but can't find it, but David J. Marks had a
helluva good episode on making an oval mirror(IRRC) frame ... would
really be worthwhile tracking down the show.

If I recall many years ago either ShopNotes or Woodsmith magazine had
plans for a router jig to make elliptical frames. I believe it used
1/4" threaded rod to allow adjustment to various sizes. The router
mounted directly to the jig.

I tried a Google search and came up blank. Anyone have their index(s)
(I'm pretty sure it was ShopNotes).

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

oval picture frames question [email protected] Woodworking 1 February 4th 08 05:51 PM
OVAL PICTURE FRAME J T Woodworking 4 March 4th 06 02:38 PM
OVAL PICTURE FRAME J T Woodworking 0 March 4th 06 02:10 PM
OVAL PICTURE FRAME J T Woodworking 9 March 4th 06 02:06 PM