Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

Default OVAL PICTURE FRAME

On 2 Mar 2006 09:55:01 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Free is good - useful and interesting is better.

That's for sure. I don't even glance at JTs endless useless [e.g.
popsicle sticks] sites any more. We must have a different sense of
humour.

An oval is simple to construct by hand, and the other images shown are
just two offset ovals, one inside the other. All you need is some
squared paper, and the max-min dimensions of each oval.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:06:07 -0800, pe wrote:

I use this. It meets all my oval needs
http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/trol/scol/callipse.htm

How do you get it from there to the paper? String tends to stretch,
and it's tough to get the true length when wrapping around two pins.
I use two concentric circles, straight edge, then join the dots.
....only a quarter to be exact, since it can be flipped for the rest of
the ellipse.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Guess who entity posted thusly:

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:06:07 -0800, pe wrote:

I use this. It meets all my oval needs
http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/trol/scol/callipse.htm

How do you get it from there to the paper? String tends to stretch,
and it's tough to get the true length when wrapping around two pins.
I use two concentric circles, straight edge, then join the dots.
...only a quarter to be exact, since it can be flipped for the rest of
the ellipse.

How do you get an ellipse from the materials you mention? I've made
many an ellipse using the string method. You need to be a bit careful
to not stretch the string. If I needed a particular sized ellipse, I'd
be tempted to use a plot from my computer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

multitudes of links to useless, tasteless crap like the
aforementioned
"oval picture frame". Indeed, if someone were so inclined to
be
looking for plans to an "oval picture frame" it could be easily
googled. Strange how he'd give someone actually LOOKING for
something
a hard time, and then feel good about cluttering up the group
with crap
like this.

JP

Well, one man's garbage might be another man 's treasures (garage
sales et al), but at least his posts are obvious to the reader
after seeing a couple of them, so they're easier to bypass if you
want to.
Just like no one makes you read them, no one is forcing
anyone to click on the links, either, nor is anyone forcing the
readers to critique that quality of the links.

Sometimes I do wonder about -why- he posts them, but ... it
doesn't bother me. I've even put quite a few on those post
results on paper because they lead either to a decently useful
item for me, or can be adapted to something I might like to try
out for grins. I'm an old dog, but I'm still willing to learn
some new tricks to see if they're any better than the old ones.

Raking and kanering someone though; that's just not worth any
thinking person's time or effort. It shows unhealthy tendencies
in some cases, no matter who does it, or how they do it. Yup, I
do that myself, matter of fact; never said I was perfect. But as
a rule I'll only jump in with snide remarks if i see
misinformation of think the poster needs a dose of its own
medicine. After that though, I don't prolong it; I move on to
better things.

So: If you don't like someone's posts, ignore them. If you're
just going to bitch, go away and try to get a life before you
come back.

Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Pop wrote:
So: If you don't like someone's posts, ignore them. If you're
just going to bitch, go away and try to get a life before you
come back.

Yes, I agree. I was trying to make a point.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Pop wrote:

So: If you don't like someone's posts, ignore them. If you're
just going to bitch, go away and try to get a life before you
come back.

Do they have to come back with a life or is the trying enough?

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Fri, Mar 3, 2006, 10:18am (Guess*who) doth
wonder:
No problem at all, but with all that time on your hands, why not look
for something actually useful? I mean that in a good way. It *could* be
a useful resource if you put your mind to it, and you'd be providing a
service instead of an off-tilt humour. At least the present postings
take away bandwidth from the multiple nuts who post totally OT. They're
getting to be downright scary. I'm thinking the institutions have been
given a grant to supply the inmates with computers. Sort of LNAB as
technology advances.

LMAO. I do look for something actually useful. For me. I keep
telling you guys, what I post is side-effects, from searches for info
for myself. Besides, considering that we've got people here with skills
ranging from whittling with a dull knife, to real woodworking artists,
it's all useful to someone. I pass stuff along because I believe in
sharing info someone might be able to use - different background,
different generation, from a lot. And, if it wasn't fun, wouldn't do
it.

As is, it would seem that life may finally be allowing me to
proceed on a personal project, or three, that's been on the back burner
for some time. So, for an unknown period, my time should be pretty much
absorbed by that, so my searching probably won't turn up much wood
stuff. Whcih means you guys are gonna have to stumple along on your
own. LOL

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

MOTHER-IN-LAW PICTURE FRAME J T Woodworking 1 November 8th 05 07:09 AM
Corner clamps for a frame, What is this for? Steve Home Repair 0 October 17th 05 08:11 PM
Door Frame Repair - Rot RonB Home Repair 2 May 7th 05 01:15 AM
PICTURE FRAME J T Woodworking 0 January 11th 05 06:52 AM
No picture but sound on SONY KV-35V36 David Electronics Repair 0 March 27th 04 01:15 AM