Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is Plain/Flat Sawn Plywood Veneer Worth It?

I'm building some Shaker style cabinet doors and I'll be using 1/4"
plywood for the panels.

I REALLY hate the look of normal rotary cut veneer and will NOT use it.
So that leaves me with quarter sawn, rift sawn, and plain/flat sawn.

I can get 1/4" CherryAA, plain, mdf core for about $70/sheet, locally.
I don't know where I can find quarter or rift sawn plywood anywhere
local, so I would have to have it shipped or drive however many hours to
get it.

I'm not really concerned with the price. If I'll pay $70, I'll pay
$100+. It's not enough sheets to worry about. Given that these will be
our kitchen cabinet doors, I want them to look great.

I've seen some pictures on the internet and the flat sawn definitely
looks much better than rotary cut, to me. So, in your opinions, does
rift and quarter sawn veneer look *that* much better than flat sawn?
Is it night and day to you? Is it worth the extra hassle and $$?

AND... does anyone have any pictures of cabinet doors or any other
project on which they used flat sawn plywood?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--