Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Is Plain/Flat Sawn Plywood Veneer Worth It?

On 3/17/10 9:18 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
If money is no object, why not forgo the plywood and use solid Cherry to
make your panels?

Because plywood is so darn easy and stable. Besides, I'm using flat
panels, not raised. The groove is 1/4"-6mm on my bits. Do people make
solid 1/4" panels? Or do the make them thicker and rabbet out the slot
in the back?

That way you can sift through the available boards and
choose the look you want. I agree with you about rotary cut plywood, but
other than that I think Cherry looks gorgeous no matter what the cut;
flat, rift, or quarter. That said, if you go with flat sawn, try to look
for boards with some quilting in them; that just about makes up for what
you miss when you have quarter-sawn wood with lots of ray flecks (which
is DAMN gorgeous).

That's good to hear. I'll see if they let me... ehem!... cherry-pick
through the pile.

What color are you going to paint them? :-)

Walnut. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)