George

Default removing old doorhandle

Not exactly woodworking . . . sorry if this is OT

I'm trying to replace old (1970s) doorhandles. Trouble is, I can't see how
the old one comes off! I can unsnap the flange, but I don't see any screws
underneath. There are no hidden screws on the handle itself. It's a round
handle, the neck of which goes through the flange into the door. On the neck
of the handle there is a slot, but pushing a screwriver through the slot
does nothing.

Help. I'm almost at the "sledgehammer" stage

George

Doug Miller

In article , "George" wrote:
Not exactly woodworking . . . sorry if this is OT

I'm trying to replace old (1970s) doorhandles. Trouble is, I can't see how
the old one comes off! I can unsnap the flange, but I don't see any screws
underneath.

The screws are probably underneath the flange on the other side of the door.

There are no hidden screws on the handle itself. It's a round
handle, the neck of which goes through the flange into the door. On the neck
of the handle there is a slot, but pushing a screwriver through the slot
does nothing.

There's *supposed* to be a catch behind that slot in the handle, and pressing
on it with a screwdriver releases it. Then you can pull the knob off. If there
isn't a catch behind that slot, then the knob either isn't aligned with the
catch, or isn't pushed on far enough to have engaged the catch; either way,
you should be able to pull the knob off. Sometimes this requires a lot of
force, maybe even a pry bar -- use a block of scrap wood between the pry bar
and the door to avoid damage to the door.

Once you have the knobs off, removing the flanges is trivial. Then you should
be able to see how to get the rest of the mechanism out.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Eric Ryder

"George" wrote in message
Not exactly woodworking . . . sorry if this is OT

I'm trying to replace old (1970s) doorhandles. Trouble is, I can't see how
the old one comes off! I can unsnap the flange, but I don't see any screws
underneath. There are no hidden screws on the handle itself. It's a round
handle, the neck of which goes through the flange into the door. On the

neck
of the handle there is a slot, but pushing a screwriver through the slot
does nothing.

Help. I'm almost at the "sledgehammer" stage

George

If these are similar to the ones I recall.... there is a spring loaded bar
(visible to the nekkid eye) behind the slot. Usually a thumbnail is
sufficient to clear it while pulling the knob. Some knobs have two slots
(at 180 degrees to each other), but still only one catch bar. Once the knob
is off, usually an escutcheon can be removed next - it clips on towards the
bottom. Some of these had an exposed loop of springwire, but iirc they pop
of by either prying lightly on the little open slot towards the bottom or
pushing on the loop. Hopefully this will reveal the backing plate with
screws that you've been looking for.

Now, please don't ask me how to rehand these knobset for doors of the
opposite swing direction

George

Aha! The power of the internet!

Thanks Doug & Eric. I got my reading glasses out, a powerful flashlight, my
screwdriver, and there was the catch, in the slot on the inside door handle.
And I didn't even need my sledgehammer.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

If you ever need tips on canoeing, let me know....

Aye
George

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article , "George"

wrote:
[...]

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
George wrote:
Aha! The power of the internet!

Thanks Doug & Eric. I got my reading glasses out, a powerful flashlight, my
screwdriver, and there was the catch, in the slot on the inside door handle.
And I didn't even need my sledgehammer.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

If you ever need tips on canoeing, let me know....

The *important* one: being _up_ the creek without a paddle is as nothing
compared to being _downstream_ of your take-out point, without said paddle.

Charlie Self

Doug Miller responds:

So you're saying that the old cliche *ought* to be, *down* Sh*t Creek without

a paddle, eh?

Especially if the boat has a couple split seams.

Charlie Self
"The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas
George

All right..... here's a REAL canoe story...

A long, long time ago in upper Canada...

Three voyageurs - one French, one English, and and one Scots (my great,
great grandfather) were captured by the Iroquois near Niagara Falls. The
Chief, a terrifying, warpainted mountain of a man told them, "Tonight we
will kill you and use your skins to build a canoe. You may choose how you
die".

The Frenchman said, "I choose ze poison". The Chief handed him an extract of
deadly nightshade. The brave Frenchman shouted "Vive la France!", drank the
poison down and fell down dead.

The Englishman said, "A gentleman's weapon is a pistol". The Chief handed
him a pistol. The Englishmen shouted "God save the Queen!" and also fell
down dead.

The Scotsman said, "Gi'e me a Sgian Dubh." (knife) The Chief nodded gravely
and handed over a long, sharp dagger. The Scotsman took the sgian dubh and
started stabbing himself all over: the stomach, the sides, the chest,
everywhere. There was blood gushing out all over the ground and all over
everyone. It was horrible.

The Chief was appalled, and screamed, "What are you doing???"

The Scotsman looked at the chief and said, "So much for yer canoe, pal !"

Alternatively . . . . .

What do you call two lesbians in a canoe?

Fur traders.

You shouldn't have got me started!

George

HARDWOOD FLOOR - Removing from Groove Side Josue Woodworking 2 March 17th 04 05:04 AM
Removing old tile adhesive PoP UK diy 2 January 8th 04 07:14 AM
Removing Caulk PC Woodworking 2 August 2nd 03 04:29 PM