Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Alibre

Do we have any Alibre users in here?
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am....

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Do we have any Alibre users in here?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 12, 2:23*pm, "Barb/Bob Alexander"
wrote:
I am....

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Do we have any Alibre users in here?

Certainly seems comprehensive. I downloaded the 30 day jobbie and I
think I could take a shine to the sheetmetal mode real quick. Lots of
cool modeling tools and IGES - STEP - SAT - STL export... that's a
biggie for me.
I'm going to give this a little effort.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2010 4:53 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Do we have any Alibre users in here?

Certainly seems comprehensive. I downloaded the 30 day jobbie and I
think I could take a shine to the sheetmetal mode real quick. Lots of
cool modeling tools and IGES - STEP - SAT - STL export... that's a
biggie for me.
I'm going to give this a little effort.

I've seen it, and have previously gone through some of the videos. That
is some damned cool software, Bubba!

I was amazed at the similarities in tool function and methodology with
SU ... but Alibre is waaaay more than just SU on steroids.

AAMOF, if I ever needed more than SU, this is where I would most
certainly gravitate.

I'd bet Morris would also find this right down his alley and would
probably be a good fit for his endeavors.

How does it "export" to the CNC world as far as ease and compatibility?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 12, 6:42*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

The software (Vectric Aspire), which is now the front-end of my cnc,
generates the toolpath files that my post processor needs to run the
positioning motors. Vectric has a pretty good toolset to create all
kinds of designs but lacks some of the CAD conventions I have become
used to. (Sweeps, extrusions, multiple extrusions, etc.) Aspire does
have a good set of import filters which allows 3D files from many
platforms to be imported.
As I keep my mac and PC totally separated as I do not want the toys
that are in direct contact with my cnc to be anywhere near the
intarweb. Sometimes I want to do something quick and dirty without
doing the SneakerNet thing and a basic CAD package with some modeling
capability and STL export would be handy.....and for $ 97.00...nothing
to talk about...I'm all over that deal.
There is no need to spend the big bucks on AlibreCAM as I already own
Vectric Aspire. For presentation photorealism I will stick to what I
know on my mac.

The kinds of requests I have been getting have been all over the map.
1" thick letters for outdoor signs,. 400 3" tags for a sign company,
grilles for light fixtures, custom vanity top shapes, just a whole
heap of fun. After one year of trying to flatten the learning curve, I
am finally getting comfortable with this. It would have taken a lot
less time if I didn't have a business to run also.

It's creative, therapeutic and makes me money.... shoulda done this
years ago...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2010 7:12 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 12, 6:42 pm, wrote:
[...]

I've thought about buying it simply because of the price/capability
ratio, and the fact that some of the skills and mindset from SU would
transfer in the upgrade.

My old "need before purchase" upbringing keeps getting in the way ...
one reason I've successfully resisted downloading the 30 day trial.

Temptation strikes again ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

I downloaded the 3 day trial quite a while ago and like it. This fall they
ran a special for about 45 days where you could buy their $999 Alibre Design
for $99. Coming from a Pro-Engineer and Autodesk Inventor background, this
seemed like the best alternative.
I have done cabinets, old machinery parts, and model railroad layout work
with it so far.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 2:23 pm, "Barb/Bob Alexander"
wrote:
I am....

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Do we have any Alibre users in here?

Certainly seems comprehensive. I downloaded the 30 day jobbie and I
think I could take a shine to the sheetmetal mode real quick. Lots of
cool modeling tools and IGES - STEP - SAT - STL export... that's a
biggie for me.
I'm going to give this a little effort.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

It's creative, therapeutic and makes me money.... shoulda done this
years ago...

I've thought about buying it simply because of the price/capability ratio,
and the fact that some of the skills and mindset from SU would transfer in
the upgrade.

My old "need before purchase" upbringing keeps getting in the way ... one
reason I've successfully resisted downloading the 30 day trial.

Temptation strikes again ...

--

Well, after springing for the Festools, you may not be able to afford it!