Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Alibre

On Feb 12, 6:42*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 2/12/2010 4:53 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Do we have any Alibre users in here?

Certainly seems comprehensive. I downloaded the 30 day jobbie and I
think I could take a shine to the sheetmetal mode real quick. Lots of
cool modeling tools and IGES - STEP - SAT - STL export... that's a
biggie for me.
I'm going to give this a little effort.

I've seen it, and have previously gone through some of the videos. That
is some damned cool software, Bubba!

I was amazed at the similarities in tool function and methodology with
SU ... but Alibre is waaaay more than just SU on steroids.

AAMOF, if I ever needed more than SU, this is where I would most
certainly gravitate.

I'd bet Morris would also find this right down his alley and would
probably be a good fit for his endeavors.

How does it "export" to the CNC world as far as ease and compatibility?

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

The software (Vectric Aspire), which is now the front-end of my cnc,
generates the toolpath files that my post processor needs to run the
positioning motors. Vectric has a pretty good toolset to create all
kinds of designs but lacks some of the CAD conventions I have become
used to. (Sweeps, extrusions, multiple extrusions, etc.) Aspire does
have a good set of import filters which allows 3D files from many
platforms to be imported.
As I keep my mac and PC totally separated as I do not want the toys
that are in direct contact with my cnc to be anywhere near the
intarweb. Sometimes I want to do something quick and dirty without
doing the SneakerNet thing and a basic CAD package with some modeling
capability and STL export would be handy.....and for $ 97.00...nothing
to talk about...I'm all over that deal.
There is no need to spend the big bucks on AlibreCAM as I already own
Vectric Aspire. For presentation photorealism I will stick to what I
know on my mac.

The kinds of requests I have been getting have been all over the map.
1" thick letters for outdoor signs,. 400 3" tags for a sign company,
grilles for light fixtures, custom vanity top shapes, just a whole
heap of fun. After one year of trying to flatten the learning curve, I
am finally getting comfortable with this. It would have taken a lot
less time if I didn't have a business to run also.

It's creative, therapeutic and makes me money.... shoulda done this
years ago...