Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 1964 modem--woodworking content

http://www.retrothing.com/2009/05/19...-internet.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 10:46*am, wrote:
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:23:00 -0500, "J. Clarke"

wrote:
http://www.retrothing.com/2009/05/19...t-and-touches-...

Real Steampunk! Thanks.

That's not steampunk, it's just *old*. A 300 baud modem in the
original wooded box (a very *nice* box). If you want to go steampunk,
build your own, maybe a cable or DSL modem in a nice walnut veneered
case with dovetailed corners. Or if you want to go old-style, I've
still got a few TI TMS99532 modem chips you could build an acoustic
coupled modem from.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I also have a few TRS80-100 and TRS80-102's also complete and
including acoustic couplers that fit over the ear and mouthpiece
of
pay phones. Used by newspaper reporters to file stories remotely
into
an ATEX/PDP11 mainframe at 300 BAUD.

Old memories, not necessarily good. grin I sent a branch office
an Epson MX80 printer with serial board installed, a Hayes 300
baud modem with the microswitch set to autoanswer, and a serial
cable. In the home office, an underwriter would use an IBM PC
with Visicalc 1.0 to do a spreadsheet, then use DOS "mode" command
to redirect LPT1 to the Console, after establishing a phone call
to the branch office and the autoanswer modem. The result was a
printer connected to the computer by 500 miles of telephone line.
grin

What's best was the printing speed. The 80CPS printer was faster
than the 30CPS (300 baud) modem, so it would screeeeeck across the
paper, then wait until the next print line was received. Still,
it was a heck of a lot cheaper than putting another PC in the
branch office.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

http://www.retrothing.com/2009/05/19...d-touches-the-

internet.html

Pretty cool. Wonder how much that cost when it was new?

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2010 9:30 PM, Mark & Juanita wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

http://www.retrothing.com/2009/05/19...d-touches-the-

internet.html

Pretty cool. Wonder how much that cost when it was new?

It was downright spendy! I priced them (~1969, I think) and suffered
severe sticker shock. It was a couple of years before I could pick up a
reasonably priced accoustic coupler - which I still have.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 9:44*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:

It was downright spendy! I priced them (~1969, I think) and suffered
severe sticker shock. It was a couple of years before I could pick up a
reasonably priced accoustic coupler - which I still have.

What's reasonably priced? Somewhere in my piles of junk I've got a
Novation NovaCat. I think it was the astonomical sum of $100. It
should still work, along with the box of S-100 stuff and a Mits Altair
8080. This was maybe ten years newer than yours - several generations
for computers, even back then.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2010 12:48 AM, lektric dan wrote:
On Feb 9, 9:44 pm, Morris wrote:

It was downright spendy! I priced them (~1969, I think) and suffered
severe sticker shock. It was a couple of years before I could pick up a
reasonably priced accoustic coupler - which I still have.

What's reasonably priced? Somewhere in my piles of junk I've got a
Novation NovaCat. I think it was the astonomical sum of $100. It
should still work, along with the box of S-100 stuff and a Mits Altair
8080. This was maybe ten years newer than yours - several generations
for computers, even back then.

I don't know what kind it is - it's buried in storage with a pile of
other old computer junk I'll probably never use again. In S-100 days I
went with the IMSAI-8080 (but replaced the IMSAI 8080 CPU card with a
TDL Z80 CPU). My first computer was a DIY wire-wrapped monster with 16K
words of writable control store and 64K bytes of normal RAM -
interesting mostly because the instruction set could be modified on the fly.

I liked the MITS, but liked IMSAI's control panel even more.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 10, 1:14*am, Morris Dovey wrote:

My first computer was a DIY wire-wrapped monster with 16K
words of writable control store and 64K bytes of normal RAM -

Ah, the "good old days". Debugging wire wrap was so much fun! Kids
today have it so easy!

I liked the MITS, but liked IMSAI's control panel even more.

Yeah, that was the one with the "real computer" front panel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
http://www.retrothing.com/2009/05/19...-internet.html

I have the Model B, serial # 1625. They dropped the dovetails in favour
of box joints but added a brass lid stay to keep the top open once it
is tilted back all the way, and 2 lights on the side for traffic
indicators.

cheers ...

brian

Stillwater Lake, NS