Posted to rec.woodworking
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default 1964 modem--woodworking content

wrote in message

I also have a few TRS80-100 and TRS80-102's also complete and
including acoustic couplers that fit over the ear and mouthpiece
of
pay phones. Used by newspaper reporters to file stories remotely
into
an ATEX/PDP11 mainframe at 300 BAUD.

Old memories, not necessarily good. grin I sent a branch office
an Epson MX80 printer with serial board installed, a Hayes 300
baud modem with the microswitch set to autoanswer, and a serial
cable. In the home office, an underwriter would use an IBM PC
with Visicalc 1.0 to do a spreadsheet, then use DOS "mode" command
to redirect LPT1 to the Console, after establishing a phone call
to the branch office and the autoanswer modem. The result was a
printer connected to the computer by 500 miles of telephone line.
grin

What's best was the printing speed. The 80CPS printer was faster
than the 30CPS (300 baud) modem, so it would screeeeeck across the
paper, then wait until the next print line was received. Still,
it was a heck of a lot cheaper than putting another PC in the
branch office.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician