Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is this your new finish??

Ran across this article for spray-on glass. Has some desirable
properties if it only went on thicker. Claims to prevent
termites to boot.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote:

Ran across this article for spray-on glass. Has some desirable
properties if it only went on thicker. Claims to prevent
termites to boot.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html

Don't let Larry J see that stuff. You think he gets wound up about poly
being a "plastic finish" on wood? Glass finish? Hoo boy!

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote:
Ran across this article for spray-on glass. Has some desirable
properties if it only went on thicker. Claims to prevent
termites to boot.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html

Forty years ago Jelco syringes had a "siliconized" needles. It was
slick as owl snot made injections less painful. Wonder if it was similar?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Dawn: The time when men of reason go
to bed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 10:38*pm, Larry wrote:
Ran across this article for spray-on glass. Has some desirable
properties if it only went on thicker. Claims to prevent
termites to boot.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html

Why thicker? It seems to me that the thinness is what makes it so
valuable. Flexibility generally means durability for coatings (given
a reasonable hardness for the application).

The part that needs clarification is the breathe-ability claim.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2010 9:38 PM, Larry wrote:
Ran across this article for spray-on glass. Has some desirable
properties if it only went on thicker. Claims to prevent
termites to boot.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html

Something for Morris to look for his exterior boxes, instead of cladding?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Larry wrote:
Ran across this article for spray-on glass. Has some desirable
properties if it only went on thicker. Claims to prevent
termites to boot.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html

Something for Morris to look for his exterior boxes, instead of cladding?

--

I find it interesting that supermarkets won't carry a product like this
because it would cut into the great profits associated with cleaning

Where is Billy Mays when you need him?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2010 6:02 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/8/2010 9:38 PM, Larry wrote:
Ran across this article for spray-on glass. Has some desirable
properties if it only went on thicker. Claims to prevent
termites to boot.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html

Something for Morris to look for his exterior boxes, instead of cladding?

I wondered about the possibilities - until I read

"one spray is said to last a year"

Since I'm aiming for really long service life, I think I'll stick with
the stainless steel for the time being.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

On Feb 8, 9:38*pm, Larry wrote:
Ran across this article for spray-on glass. Has some desirable
properties if it only went on thicker. Claims to prevent
termites to boot.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html

Hmmm looks like a 100nm thick layer. I wonder if there are
interference effects since you have two discontinuities in the index
of refraction? Could imagine that if sprayed on curved surfaces the
reflections and scattered light could be "interesting". Thinking of
a set of carved candle sticks with rope designs and lots and lots of
curves.....

So there is a ponderance for Morris Dovey: is there any benefit to
micro-coatings for solar capture? And is SiO_2 going to withstand the
heat of your Stirling engine at the collector?

hex
-30-
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2010 9:32 AM, hex wrote:

So there is a ponderance for Morris Dovey: is there any benefit to
micro-coatings for solar capture? And is SiO_2 going to withstand the
heat of your Stirling engine at the collector?

I can see possible benefits, but would need considerably more
information than they're providing to know for sure. There are two areas
where it /might/ shine (please pardon the pun):

If it protects metal from oxidation then it would permit using less
expensive aluminum (bonded to an even less expensive substrate) for
concentrator reflectors.

There may some potential for coating interior surfaces of fluidyne
engine pumps to reduce corrosion and friction caused by surface fouling
from "junk" in the pumped water.

I think both applications will depend on whether these folks are
interested in more than just the "low-hanging fruit".

It'll be interesting to see where they go from where they are.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Morris Dovey wrote in
:

On 2/10/2010 9:32 AM, hex wrote:

[...]

I thought the blurb was interesting too, but I was put off by the lack
of detail. How do they get the "silica" into small particles or
solution in water? I believe that pure silica may dissolve under very
alkaline conditions in water, but that is very old memory only. There
is no possibility (I hope) of small 100 nm particles to get loose?
There is some controversy now as to whether "nanotubes" may be
carcinogenic similar to asbestos particles. That would NOT be good for
small silica particles. I apologize for not having references for the
stated doubts ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 22:33:27 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita
scrawled the following:

Larry wrote:

Ran across this article for spray-on glass. Has some desirable
properties if it only went on thicker. Claims to prevent
termites to boot.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html

Don't let Larry J see that stuff. You think he gets wound up about poly
being a "plastic finish" on wood? Glass finish? Hoo boy!

Yum! Looks like a lovely, milky-white film.

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:20:54 -0700, Morris Dovey wrote
(in article ):

:

If it protects metal from oxidation then it would permit using less
expensive aluminum (bonded to an even less expensive substrate) for
concentrator reflectors.

Morris,
Late followup, but did you consider anodized aluminum?
-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2010 8:59 AM, Bruce wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:20:54 -0700, Morris Dovey wrote
(in ):

If it protects metal from oxidation then it would permit using less
expensive aluminum (bonded to an even less expensive substrate) for
concentrator reflectors.

Late followup, but did you consider anodized aluminum?

I didn't because I can get spectral stainless foil in any
thickness/width/length I might need from competing suppliers - and
because the last time I needed aluminum (in a form not available at Ace
or Menards or TruValue stores) I spent three months trying and literally
could not get _any_ US company (neither manufacturer nor distributor) to
talk to me - and ended up having to buy a 25km minimum order from a
Pacific Rim supplier.

[ That supplier was a Japanese firm with a production facility on
Taiwan. Dealing with them was an incredible experience of win-win
negotiation, amiable mutual respect, and complete absence of any kind of
BS. A flurry of e-mails over two days got us to price/quantity levels we
could both accept - I drove to the bank to do an EFT, and when I got
home ten minutes later, there was a "Thank you for your order and
payment" e-mail in my Inbox. Less than two days after that the order had
been produced and was airborne from the factory en route to Des Moines.
It was exactly what I needed and the quality was uniformly excellent. ]

Locally, anodizing services are expensive, and I'm not confident that
I'd end up with the quality I'd need. A single molecule thick SiO2
coating might work if it prevented oxidation, had sufficient longevity,
and could be renewed without degrading the mirrors, but these folks
aren't offering reassurances in any of those directions. Still, it looks
like a technology worth keeping an eye on.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:43:29 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

On 2/13/2010 8:59 AM, Bruce wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:20:54 -0700, Morris Dovey wrote
(in ):

If it protects metal from oxidation then it would permit using less
expensive aluminum (bonded to an even less expensive substrate) for
concentrator reflectors.

Late followup, but did you consider anodized aluminum?

I didn't because I can get spectral stainless foil in any
thickness/width/length I might need from competing suppliers - and
because the last time I needed aluminum (in a form not available at Ace
or Menards or TruValue stores) I spent three months trying and literally
could not get _any_ US company (neither manufacturer nor distributor) to
talk to me - and ended up having to buy a 25km minimum order from a
Pacific Rim supplier.

So, what did you build with sixteen _miles_ of foil?!?

[ That supplier was a Japanese firm with a production facility on
Taiwan. Dealing with them was an incredible experience of win-win
negotiation, amiable mutual respect, and complete absence of any kind of
BS. A flurry of e-mails over two days got us to price/quantity levels we
could both accept - I drove to the bank to do an EFT, and when I got
home ten minutes later, there was a "Thank you for your order and
payment" e-mail in my Inbox. Less than two days after that the order had
been produced and was airborne from the factory en route to Des Moines.
It was exactly what I needed and the quality was uniformly excellent. ]

It's wonderful to work with honest people who glisten with integrity,
isn't it? Ordering from off shore can be much scarier than working
with people inside our borders.

Locally, anodizing services are expensive, and I'm not confident that
I'd end up with the quality I'd need.

That's when you find a friend who's out of work and create a business
for them which serves your purposes, too.

A single molecule thick SiO2
coating might work if it prevented oxidation, had sufficient longevity,
and could be renewed without degrading the mirrors, but these folks
aren't offering reassurances in any of those directions. Still, it looks
like a technology worth keeping an eye on.

Definitely.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2010 1:26 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:43:29 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

the last time I needed aluminum (in a form not available at Ace
or Menards or TruValue stores) I spent three months trying and literally
could not get _any_ US company (neither manufacturer nor distributor) to
talk to me - and ended up having to buy a 25km minimum order from a
Pacific Rim supplier.

So, what did you build with sixteen _miles_ of foil?!?

I built a whole bunch of prototype absorber/exchangers for testing and
some fewer production units to ship. It was a Good Thing that the stuff
was exactly what was needed, because I still have a healthy supply.

[ That supplier was a Japanese firm with a production facility on
Taiwan. Dealing with them was an incredible experience of win-win
negotiation, amiable mutual respect, and complete absence of any kind of
BS. A flurry of e-mails over two days got us to price/quantity levels we
could both accept - I drove to the bank to do an EFT, and when I got
home ten minutes later, there was a "Thank you for your order and
payment" e-mail in my Inbox. Less than two days after that the order had
been produced and was airborne from the factory en route to Des Moines.
It was exactly what I needed and the quality was uniformly excellent. ]

It's wonderful to work with honest people who glisten with integrity,
isn't it? Ordering from off shore can be much scarier than working
with people inside our borders.

It really _was_ scary, since I knew nothing about the folks with whom I
was dealing - but I can't imagine how they might have treated me better.
I won't hesitate to do business with that outfit again.

Locally, anodizing services are expensive, and I'm not confident that
I'd end up with the quality I'd need.

That's when you find a friend who's out of work and create a business
for them which serves your purposes, too.

Sure, right after one or the other of us wins the lottery.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:56:17 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

On 2/15/2010 1:26 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:43:29 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

the last time I needed aluminum (in a form not available at Ace
or Menards or TruValue stores) I spent three months trying and literally
could not get _any_ US company (neither manufacturer nor distributor) to
talk to me - and ended up having to buy a 25km minimum order from a
Pacific Rim supplier.

So, what did you build with sixteen _miles_ of foil?!?

I built a whole bunch of prototype absorber/exchangers for testing and
some fewer production units to ship. It was a Good Thing that the stuff
was exactly what was needed, because I still have a healthy supply.

I should hope so.

[...]

What was the cost of those miles, if I may ask?

Locally, anodizing services are expensive, and I'm not confident that
I'd end up with the quality I'd need.

That's when you find a friend who's out of work and create a business
for them which serves your purposes, too.

Sure, right after one or the other of us wins the lottery.

What can an anodizing plant cost? =:-0

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2010 11:28 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What was the cost of those miles, if I may ask?

I don't remember, and the paperwork is at the shop. Somewhere between
the cost of the Unisaur and the cost of the 'Bot.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/2010 11:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

O U C H !

Previous solar heating panel designs - every one that I'd ever seen -
began with someone asking: "What can I build on the cheap?" and the end
product was generally not worth the cost.

I took a slightly different approach by asking instead: "Just how much
heat can we get out of a panel?" and made peak performance a higher
priority than cost. I figured that once I'd figured out what it took to
get really good performance, I would know enough to be able to make good
trade-offs to control/adjust the cost.

The heat exchanger/absorber is critical to performance and I tackled the
design as a physics/radiation problem. It turned out to be a bit more
than that, but that was a good starting point. No matter how I looked at
the problem, the answer always came up "aluminum ribbon" of a particular
thickness and width, formed and arranged in a particular geometry.

There was only one way to know if that was a correct solution to the
problem...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2010 7:41 AM, phorbin wrote:

What's the supplier's name?

Ed - but that may have been an anglicized nickname for my convenience.

8^)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:08:47 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

[...]

And that was to borrow some of that specific material from a friend,
right? snicker

--
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt."
-- Clarence Darrow