Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Through Loose Tenons

I have been thinking of trying this for a while, but never have.
Through loose tenons. I would keep them square instead of rounded.
Seems like it should work. The only problem I can think of is that
you would need to make sure that the tenon stock to matches in color
to the adjoining rail (if a lot of the tenon is exposed).

I expect to get a few "just use integral tenons for this", but
obviously I've considered that already and choose to explore "loose
tenons".

Ever tried it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 12:58*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
I have been thinking of trying this for a while, but never have.
Through loose tenons. *I would keep them square instead of rounded.
Seems like it should work. *The only problem I can think of is that
you would need to make sure that the tenon stock to matches in color
to the adjoining rail (if a lot of the tenon is exposed).

I expect to get a few "just use integral tenons for this", but
obviously I've considered that already and choose to explore "loose
tenons".

Ever tried it?

One more thing, my e-mail is no longer valid due to the amount spam so
please visit my website if you choose to contact me directly.

www.garagewoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2010 11:58 AM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
I have been thinking of trying this for a while, but never have.
Through loose tenons. I would keep them square instead of rounded.
Seems like it should work. The only problem I can think of is that
you would need to make sure that the tenon stock to matches in color
to the adjoining rail (if a lot of the tenon is exposed).

Ever tried it?

Experimented with a batch of gift calendar frames with exposed loose
tenons a few years back. Tried some round and some square just for
grins. Both 1/4" tenon stock through 3/4" stiles, so they were small and
bit hard to work with.

I did try a slight, traditional bevel on the exposed corners of both
types. The square ones came out just fine, the rounded exposed tenons
looked more like blunted spearheads by the time I got through butchering
them.

(If I use rounded through loose tenons again, I will just leave them
exposed for what they are.)

All said/done, it's doable, it works, and there is no reason why you
can't do it.

Also think using loose tenons thicker than 1/4" would allow for a
better, more traditional look, and a lot easier to effect ... 3/8" thick
would be about a small as I would want to go.

FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I have been thinking of trying this for a while, but never
have.
Through loose tenons. I would keep them square instead of
rounded.
Seems like it should work. The only problem I can think of is
that
you would need to make sure that the tenon stock to matches in
color
to the adjoining rail (if a lot of the tenon is exposed).

I expect to get a few "just use integral tenons for this", but
obviously I've considered that already and choose to explore
"loose
tenons".

Ever tried it?

One more thing, my e-mail is no longer valid due to the amount
spam so
please visit my website if you choose to contact me directly.

www.garagewoodworks.com

Nice web site. Is Stamey's (sp?) barbecue still in the area?

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 2:27*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Ok. Thanks. I'm going to give it a go when I can find the time.

Also think using loose tenons thicker than 1/4" would allow for a
better, more traditional look, and a lot easier to effect ... 3/8" thick
would be about a small as I would want to go.

FWIW ...

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Thank you and yes it is, but I've never eaten there.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
I have been thinking of trying this for a while, but never have.
Through loose tenons. I would keep them square instead of rounded.
Seems like it should work. The only problem I can think of is that
you would need to make sure that the tenon stock to matches in color
to the adjoining rail (if a lot of the tenon is exposed).

End grain isn't going to match. Viva la difference!
__________

I expect to get a few "just use integral tenons for this", but
obviously I've considered that already and choose to explore "loose
tenons".

Ever tried it?

Yeah. I wedged them too.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Through Loose Tenons - How Long?

You didn't mention the specific application you had in mind.
If the through mortise length (can a hole have a length?) is
under about 1 1/2" - the loose tenon isn't over about 3/8"
thick - and round ends are acceptable

then

head over to YouTube and search for
DOMINO Through Mortise

or

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlrlevz-Z8

The Festool DOMINO is REAL handy.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 4:42*pm, charlie b wrote:
You didn't mention the specific application you had in mind.
If the through mortise length

(can a hole have a length?)

Good question. I once drilled a 1" diameter hole into the end of a 1"
diameter dowel and it took me hours to try and measure the length of
the hole.

is under about 1 1/2" - the loose tenon isn't over about 3/8"
thick - and round ends are acceptable

then

head over to YouTube and search for
DOMINO Through Mortise

or

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlrlevz-Z8

The Festool DOMINO is REAL handy.

Unfortunately out of my price range.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 09:58:55 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks
scrawled the following:

I have been thinking of trying this for a while, but never have.
Through loose tenons.

You realize, don't you, Brian, that the phrase sounds an awful lot
like the title for a tawdry romance novel or cheesy daytime soap
opera?

"Through Loose Tenons", the story of a girl, her dog, her doctor,
his horse, and seven of the town drunks.

I would keep them square instead of rounded.
Seems like it should work. The only problem I can think of is that
you would need to make sure that the tenon stock to matches in color
to the adjoining rail (if a lot of the tenon is exposed).

Right. An pine tenon wouldn't look right in a jarrah piece. snort

I expect to get a few "just use integral tenons for this", but
obviously I've considered that already and choose to explore "loose
tenons".

Ever tried it?

Newp, but I'll bet it would work just fine, given good joinery
workmanship.

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:

head over to YouTube and search for
DOMINO Through Mortise

or

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlrlevz-Z8

The Festool DOMINO is REAL handy.

charlie b

Hi Charlie

That link and the refference are not coming up for me.
--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Making tenons Pat Barber Woodworking 38 December 12th 06 01:04 PM
Dowling rather then tenons? Toller Woodworking 9 January 17th 06 02:57 AM
David Marks And Loose Tenons - Revisited Mike Marlow Woodworking 15 June 4th 05 06:08 PM
David Marks and Loose Tenons stoutman Woodworking 73 May 30th 05 03:48 AM
cut my tenons too small. now what? dustyone Woodworking 19 April 25th 05 07:54 PM