Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Riser blocks or not?

I am in the market for a bandsaw. I am looking at the 14” models like
the Grizzly’s, Jet’s & Deltas with riser blocks mainly because I need
to cut some back splats for dining chairs that are 8” wide – so they
will effectively be resawed in order to get the correct curve.
Anyway, I have also looked at saws like the Jet 14DXPRO which is a 14”
with 12” or so resaw and no riser blocks.

I’ve read this & that about riser blocks, flexing etc. Do the 14" saws
with riser blocks really flex that much to affect performance? I don’t
expect to do tremendous amounts of resawing, and (Leon) I'd love have
a Laguna, but it is simply not possible financially right now.

Thoughts?
Cheers
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 3:40*pm, " wrote:
I am in the market for a bandsaw. I am looking at the 14” models like
the Grizzly’s, Jet’s & Deltas with riser blocks mainly because I need
to cut some back splats for dining chairs that are 8” wide – so they
will effectively be resawed in order to get the correct curve.
Anyway, I have also looked at saws like the Jet 14DXPRO which is a 14”
with 12” or so resaw and no riser blocks.

I’ve read this & that about riser blocks, flexing etc. Do the 14" saws
with riser blocks really flex that much to affect performance? I don’t
expect to do tremendous amounts of resawing, and (Leon) I'd love have
a Laguna, but it is simply not possible financially right now.

Thoughts?
Cheers

The riser block in my old 14" Delta/Milwaukee is a pretty substantial
chunk of cast iron. I can't imagine it flexing any.

If there is any flex, it would be in the arm itself. I don't believe
that raising the arm by 6" with a riser block would cause the arm to
flex any more.

I've cut everything up to 2" or thicker steel plate with that saw, and
flex has never been a problem. And you do dial in a lot of tension
when cutting that sort of thing.

Buy the riser block and be done with it. Don't even think of the
option of swapping it in only when you need the extra height.

John Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 11:40*am, " wrote:
I am in the market for a bandsaw. I am looking at the 14” models like

I have the Jet 14" with a riser block, some roller guides, and some
great WoodSlicer blades from Highland Hardware. The saw will take
anything I throw at it without any flex that I am aware of.

Having said that I spent a fair amount of time tuning the settings.
Get yourself some books too: Duginske, Engler, and Bird have some
good tips.

Best of luck!
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...snip...]

then you need 105" blades--harder to find, I think than their standard
93.5".

[...snip...]

Hmm, if you are willing to mail order you can get just about any size
blade. Also they can be made to order for a reasonable price.

Also, 105" is a pretty commonly available size, albeit maybe not found
in local hardware stores.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Weisgram" wrote in message
[...snip...]

then you need 105" blades--harder to find, I think than their standard
93.5".

[...snip...]

Hmm, if you are willing to mail order you can get just about any size
blade. Also they can be made to order for a reasonable price.

Also, 105" is a pretty commonly available size, albeit maybe not found
in local hardware stores.

Yes, my statement was based on my trip to Lowes today-- 93.5" blades yes,
105" blades no.
This thread made me consider the riser block, but I didn't buy my band saw
for any reasons
which will require extra height..the $149 price of the riser block cinched
it for me. I have other
tools I'd rather throw money at now! ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

"Jim Weisgram" wrote in message
[...snip...]

then you need 105" blades--harder to find, I think than their standard
93.5".

[...snip...]

Hmm, if you are willing to mail order you can get just about any size
blade. Also they can be made to order for a reasonable price.

Also, 105" is a pretty commonly available size, albeit maybe not found
in local hardware stores.

Yes, my statement was based on my trip to Lowes today-- 93.5" blades yes,
105" blades no.
This thread made me consider the riser block, but I didn't buy my band saw
for any reasons
which will require extra height..the $149 price of the riser block cinched
it for me. I have other
tools I'd rather throw money at now! ; )

Bill

If at some point you do go for the riser, find an industrial tool supply
place. They don't carry premade blades. Tell them what you want and they
will make it while you wait. The places I go carry Sterrett or Doall. Both
very high quality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:40:03 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I am in the market for a bandsaw. I am looking at the 14” models like
the Grizzly’s, Jet’s & Deltas with riser blocks mainly because I need
to cut some back splats for dining chairs that are 8” wide – so they
will effectively be resawed in order to get the correct curve.
Anyway, I have also looked at saws like the Jet 14DXPRO which is a 14”
with 12” or so resaw and no riser blocks.

I’ve read this & that about riser blocks, flexing etc. Do the 14" saws
with riser blocks really flex that much to affect performance? I don’t
expect to do tremendous amounts of resawing, and (Leon) I'd love have
a Laguna, but it is simply not possible financially right now.

Thoughts?
Cheers

I'd recommend them.. shop around and you'll find a deal..
I put the grizzly riser kit on my Ridgid 14" and it works great..

Besides resawing, having that extra 6" also adds open area for light and
clearance for add-on tables and jigs..

I've cut hundreds of bowl blanks on it, mostly green wood, and no more flex than
without the lift..

Also remember that it's not just an iron block, it's also replacement blade
guards and the bar that your upper guides mount on..

See if you have a saw shop in your area... I have all my blades made up at the
shop, so it's no problem getting whatever size you want..
I think it's about a dollar more for 105" than 93" in our local shop..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/2010 12:05 AM, Bill wrote:

Yes, my statement was based on my trip to Lowes today-- 93.5" blades yes,
105" blades no.

There's your answer then ... if you buy your band saw blades at Lowes,
you don't need a riser block.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

If at some point you do go for the riser, find an industrial tool supply
place. They don't carry premade blades. Tell them what you want and they
will make it while you wait. The places I go carry Sterrett or Doall. Both
very high quality.

I would add that my 18" Jet uses a 133" blade which isn't commonly
available. I found a couple of industrial supply places that will
make the blades from blade stock. Some tooth patters are a little
cheaper than retail pre-mades. Usually 2-3 day service, sometimes
overnight.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
I am in the market for a bandsaw. I am looking at the 14” models like
the Grizzly’s, Jet’s & Deltas with riser blocks mainly because I need
to cut some back splats for dining chairs that are 8” wide – so they
will effectively be resawed in order to get the correct curve.
Anyway, I have also looked at saws like the Jet 14DXPRO which is a 14”
with 12” or so resaw and no riser blocks.

I’ve read this & that about riser blocks, flexing etc. Do the 14" saws
with riser blocks really flex that much to affect performance? I don’t
expect to do tremendous amounts of resawing, and (Leon) I'd love have
a Laguna, but it is simply not possible financially right now.

Thoughts?
Cheers

I have a Grizzly G0555 with the riser. Absolutely no problems. I usually
order 105" Timberwolf blades but Sears carries a 105" cheapie if you're so
inclined. Olsen also makes a good 105".

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

" wrote in message
I am in the market for a bandsaw. I am looking at the 14” models like
the Grizzly’s, Jet’s & Deltas with riser blocks mainly because I need
to cut some back splats for dining chairs that are 8” wide – so they
will effectively be resawed in order to get the correct curve.
Anyway, I have also looked at saws like the Jet 14DXPRO which is a 14”
with 12” or so resaw and no riser blocks.

I’ve read this & that about riser blocks, flexing etc. Do the 14" saws
with riser blocks really flex that much to affect performance? I don’t
expect to do tremendous amounts of resawing, and (Leon) I'd love have
a Laguna, but it is simply not possible financially right now.

Thoughts?
Cheers

Get the block, never look back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Delta is it - I got the riser for bowls and such.

The cost includes a large block that is machined and a new
blade protection riser that slides up and down adjusting the
cut height. A massive machined bar is part of it.

Ordering it as such might have been an additive hit for a larger
motor.

No idea really on your cost. Just my saw.

Martin

Bill wrote:
"Jim Weisgram" wrote in message
[...snip...]

then you need 105" blades--harder to find, I think than their standard
93.5".

[...snip...]

Hmm, if you are willing to mail order you can get just about any size
blade. Also they can be made to order for a reasonable price.

Also, 105" is a pretty commonly available size, albeit maybe not found
in local hardware stores.

Yes, my statement was based on my trip to Lowes today-- 93.5" blades yes,
105" blades no.
This thread made me consider the riser block, but I didn't buy my band saw
for any reasons
which will require extra height..the $149 price of the riser block cinched
it for me. I have other
tools I'd rather throw money at now! ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 8:01*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
Delta is it - I got the riser for bowls and such.

The cost includes a large block that is machined and a new
blade protection riser that slides up and down adjusting the
cut height. *A massive machined bar is part of it.

Ordering it as such might have been an additive hit for a larger
motor.

No idea really on your cost. *Just my saw.

Thanks - which Delta?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the riser block on my Jet 14". I got it when they were
offering some promotion, so it was like $99 or such. I can't see any
issues with it in place other than it's a bit harder to reach the
blade tensioning rod at the top. I just made a lever to slip over
the knob -- there are all kinds of nifty ways to set the tension these
days.

I order my blades -- BC Saw in Canada. Recommended by Michael
Fortune. I find his advice very practical and very simple. Here's a
link
http://www.furnituresociety.org/furn...w_Complete.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

Long time ago I bought it - It might have a number.
It has a sister saw that cuts metal.

If you get one, it sits on a metal stand and the table is about
right for me. I have a 1 HP motor on mine and keep the riser on
at all times.

http://www.cpowoodworking.com/band_saws/

Consider the optional pulley on the side for slower speeds or
lower surface speed.

I use mine to resaw but wish I had a 2" wide blade or at least 1"
for that function.

Bowls need narrower blades so they can turn.

Martin