Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Two parties

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Thank goodness it does, or we would be like Great Britain and working to
figure out how to ban sharp objects next.

We've done that in the schools. I've had a pocket knife in my pants pocket
since I was 10 years old. Home, school, where ever. Now days, that would get
me a 2 week suspension -- for a first offense. Another case of confusing the
tool with the user. -- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Douglas Johnson wrote in
:

We've done that in the schools. I've had a pocket knife in my pants
pocket since I was 10 years old. Home, school, where ever. Now days,
that would get me a 2 week suspension -- for a first offense. Another
case of confusing the tool with the user. -- Doug

I agree. If I put my Swiss army knife of sorts in my backpack, the guy
using the airport type scanner at work will try to get it confiscated. He
knows (or should know) that I have plenty of scalpels and chemicals in my
lab that would be much more harmful than the knife. So I put it in my
pocket and walk thtough the employee magnetometer which is just there for
show. While my wife can use her teeth to start peeling an orange, I need a
knife ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Douglas Johnson" wrote in message
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Thank goodness it does, or we would be like Great Britain and working to
figure out how to ban sharp objects next.

We've done that in the schools. I've had a pocket knife in my pants
pocket
since I was 10 years old. Home, school, where ever. Now days, that would
get
me a 2 week suspension -- for a first offense. Another case of confusing
the
tool with the user. -- Doug

I remember, in fifth grade, my teacher asking if he could barrow someone's
knife. I handed him my switchblade. He used it and handed it back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:45:39 -0800, "CW"
wrote:

I remember, in fifth grade, my teacher asking if he could barrow someone's
knife. I handed him my switchblade. He used it and handed it back.

Sure, I did to. But, things were different when many of us were in
school. A fight back then was with fists. No one carried a gun to
school and very few would use a knife to defend themselves.

It's not like that anymore. Is that so hard to comprehend?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I remember, in fifth grade, my teacher asking if he could barrow someone's
knife. I handed him my switchblade. He used it and handed it back.

Sure, I did to. But, things were different when many of us were in
school. A fight back then was with fists. No one carried a gun to
school and very few would use a knife to defend themselves.

It's not like that anymore. Is that so hard to comprehend?

That's the point. The issues is one of cultural malaise. That is what
needs to be treated. Yeah - it's a big problem, but taking away guns is not
going to fix that one bit. Treating symptoms has never fixed problems.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I remember, in fifth grade, my teacher asking if he could barrow someone's
knife. I handed him my switchblade. He used it and handed it back.

Sure, I did to. But, things were different when many of us were in
school. A fight back then was with fists. No one carried a gun to
school and very few would use a knife to defend themselves.

It's not like that anymore. Is that so hard to comprehend?

Not where I lived. I carried a switchblade for a reason.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 02 Feb 2010 17:15:04 GMT, the infamous Han
scrawled the following:

Douglas Johnson wrote in
:

We've done that in the schools. I've had a pocket knife in my pants
pocket since I was 10 years old. Home, school, where ever. Now days,
that would get me a 2 week suspension -- for a first offense. Another
case of confusing the tool with the user. -- Doug

I agree. If I put my Swiss army knife of sorts in my backpack, the guy
using the airport type scanner at work will try to get it confiscated. He
knows (or should know) that I have plenty of scalpels and chemicals in my
lab that would be much more harmful than the knife. So I put it in my
pocket and walk thtough the employee magnetometer which is just there for
show. While my wife can use her teeth to start peeling an orange, I need a
knife ...

My 1.3" pocket knife, a mini-Swiss, is illegal on a plane. A sharpened
9" pencil, capable of piercing a person's heart, is legal. A pair of
12" pointed aluminum knitting needles is legal. A credit card can be
passed over a concrete sidewalk for ten seconds and sharpened to an
edge. This is also legal on an airplane, and it could cut a person's
carotid so they bleed out in a matter of seconds.

Ayup, it's appearances (appeasing the public), not sanity, which runs
policies.

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
news
Ayup, it's appearances (appeasing the public), not sanity, which runs
policies.

Amen. Common sense is a misnomer - it is very uncommon.

--
Best regards
Han

Two parties Han Woodworking 16 February 5th 10 06:40 PM
Two parties Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 3 February 4th 10 05:49 AM
Two parties Han Woodworking 13 February 4th 10 02:56 AM
Two parties Han Woodworking 1 February 3rd 10 06:02 AM
OT- I never get invited to the right parties! bf Woodworking 0 April 15th 06 04:31 PM