Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The NEW PT lumber

Does any one have any experience with the new PT lumber? NOT the yellow
PT that was introduced 6~8 years ago.

A few months ago I was considering replacing a door and jam assembly to my
out door storage room, the jam is starting to rot near the sill. Lowe's
offers a door jam guaranteed for life to not rot and it has no chemical to
aid in making it rot and insect proof.

Wood magazine has a short article on the new PT lumber that goes through a
double pressure steam treatment that on the second cycle gets cooked at over
400 degrees F. According to the article the second round in the PT process
makes the sugars and sap unsuitable as food for insects or for rot. All
that is used during this PT process is water and steam.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
Does any one have any experience with the new PT lumber? NOT the yellow
PT that was introduced 6~8 years ago.

A few months ago I was considering replacing a door and jam assembly to my
out door storage room, the jam is starting to rot near the sill. Lowe's
offers a door jam guaranteed for life to not rot and it has no chemical to
aid in making it rot and insect proof.

Wood magazine has a short article on the new PT lumber that goes through a
double pressure steam treatment that on the second cycle gets cooked at
over 400 degrees F. According to the article the second round in the PT
process makes the sugars and sap unsuitable as food for insects or for
rot. All that is used during this PT process is water and steam.

That sounds like it might be the process for Heat Treated lumber used for
export crating. I understand it is stamped HT not PT.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
Does any one have any experience with the new PT lumber? NOT the yellow
PT that was introduced 6~8 years ago.

A few months ago I was considering replacing a door and jam assembly to
my out door storage room, the jam is starting to rot near the sill.
Lowe's offers a door jam guaranteed for life to not rot and it has no
chemical to aid in making it rot and insect proof.

Wood magazine has a short article on the new PT lumber that goes through
a double pressure steam treatment that on the second cycle gets cooked at
over 400 degrees F. According to the article the second round in the PT
process makes the sugars and sap unsuitable as food for insects or for
rot. All that is used during this PT process is water and steam.

That sounds like it might be the process for Heat Treated lumber used for
export crating. I understand it is stamped HT not PT.

While it might sound like that process the uses are for exterior trim for
housing and decking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 9:06*pm, "Leon" wrote:
* Does any one have any experience with the new PT lumber? *NOT the yellow
PT that was introduced 6~8 years ago.

A few months ago I was considering replacing a door and jam assembly to my
out door storage room, the jam is starting to rot near the sill. *Lowe's
offers a door jam guaranteed for life to not rot and it has no chemical to
aid in making it rot and insect proof.

Wood magazine has a short article on the new PT lumber that goes through a
double pressure steam treatment that on the second cycle gets cooked at over
400 degrees F. *According to the article the second round in the PT process
makes the sugars and sap unsuitable as food for *insects or for rot. *All
that is used during this PT process is water and steam.

First I'm hearing of the stuff, so I did a quick search and came up
with this:
http://www.termawood.com/technology.html
Is that the stuff mentioned in Wood magazine? Looks interesting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 9:06 pm, "Leon" wrote:

First I'm hearing of the stuff, so I did a quick search and came up
with this:
http://www.termawood.com/technology.html
Is that the stuff mentioned in Wood magazine? Looks interesting.

Could this be the proprietary treatment Jeld-Wen advertises for their
Auralast windows?

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message

First I'm hearing of the stuff, so I did a quick search and came up
with this:
http://www.termawood.com/technology.html
Is that the stuff mentioned in Wood magazine? Looks interesting.

First off I indicated PT lumber, I will correct that to Thermally Modified
wood.

The site you indicated looks like the same thing. Apparently this type wood
has been available in Europe since the 90's and is only now beginning to be
seen in the USA.

www.radiance-wood.com
www.ecoperm.com
www.purewoodproducts.com
www.cambiawood.com

are the references sited by Wood Magazine.

Claims indicate less likely to warp, is more dimensionally stable, and the
wood becomes harder. Predrilling near the ends of boards is recommended to
prevent splitting and the wood will fade to a silvery gray more quickly than
normal when in sun light. Cost right now appears to be about 2x that of PTP
and about the same as Western red cedar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/25/2010 12:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Have you ever looked at "Plastic Lumber"?

Basically reclaimed HPDE (Plastic milk jugs) with color and filler
added.

Designed specifically for decks, docks and other outdoor wood
applications.

I've seen it in park benches as well. It's got hardly any structural
strength, especially when it gets really hot out.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote:

I've seen it in park benches as well. It's got hardly any
structural
strength, especially when it gets really hot out.

----------------------
The industry is very specific about not being suited for structural
applications.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Does any one have any experience with the new PT lumber? NOT the yellow
PT that was introduced 6~8 years ago.

I've been waiting to see if this takes off:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...bersil-decking

Lumber get up Jack Stein Woodworking 1 March 28th 09 12:46 AM
Lumber lance Woodworking 5 November 6th 07 11:01 PM
What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard eganders Woodworking 9 October 15th 07 10:27 PM
PVC lumber Dave Home Repair 4 May 28th 06 09:07 PM
acq lumber badgolferman Home Repair 6 June 14th 05 06:36 AM