Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default The NEW PT lumber

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
Does any one have any experience with the new PT lumber? NOT the yellow
PT that was introduced 6~8 years ago.

A few months ago I was considering replacing a door and jam assembly to
my out door storage room, the jam is starting to rot near the sill.
Lowe's offers a door jam guaranteed for life to not rot and it has no
chemical to aid in making it rot and insect proof.

Wood magazine has a short article on the new PT lumber that goes through
a double pressure steam treatment that on the second cycle gets cooked at
over 400 degrees F. According to the article the second round in the PT
process makes the sugars and sap unsuitable as food for insects or for
rot. All that is used during this PT process is water and steam.

That sounds like it might be the process for Heat Treated lumber used for
export crating. I understand it is stamped HT not PT.

While it might sound like that process the uses are for exterior trim for
housing and decking.