Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Semi-gloat, shaves and scrapers

Two Stanley 151 spokeshaves, one Sweetheart, the other new
One No 60 spokeshave, Sweetheart
One No. 80 card scraper, no blade, dated 6-2-14
One No. 82 scraper, no blade
One No 66, Feb 9.86, no blade or fence

All for 25 bucks. Someone found a box in his attic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/23/2010 4:41 PM, sam wrote:
Two Stanley 151 spokeshaves, one Sweetheart, the other new
One No 60 spokeshave, Sweetheart
One No. 80 card scraper, no blade, dated 6-2-14
One No. 82 scraper, no blade
One No 66, Feb 9.86, no blade or fence

All for 25 bucks. Someone found a box in his attic.

Oh yeah, that was my box! I'm gonna need that back; thanks.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 23, 5:41*pm, sam wrote:
Two Stanley 151 spokeshaves, one Sweetheart, the other new
One No 60 spokeshave, Sweetheart
One No. 80 card scraper, no blade, dated 6-2-14
One No. 82 scraper, no blade
One No 66, Feb 9.86, no blade or fence

All for 25 bucks. Someone found a box in his attic.

You took advantage of my poor sick grandfather. That box was my
inheritance. If you send it to me, I will make sure that he sends you
a check for the amount you paid.

Nice job

Allen

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:41:42 -0600, sam wrote:

Two Stanley 151 spokeshaves, one Sweetheart, the other new
One No 60 spokeshave, Sweetheart
One No. 80 card scraper, no blade, dated 6-2-14
One No. 82 scraper, no blade
One No 66, Feb 9.86, no blade or fence

All for 25 bucks. Someone found a box in his attic.

Good buy. With all the bucks you saved, you can buy some Hock replacement blades. One of the guys
in our hand tool group bought a set of new-made cutters for the 66 from either LV or LN a couple
months ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , NOSPAMrp77469
@comcast.net says...

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:41:42 -0600, sam wrote:

Two Stanley 151 spokeshaves, one Sweetheart, the other new
One No 60 spokeshave, Sweetheart
One No. 80 card scraper, no blade, dated 6-2-14
One No. 82 scraper, no blade
One No 66, Feb 9.86, no blade or fence

All for 25 bucks. Someone found a box in his attic.

Good buy. With all the bucks you saved, you can buy some Hock replacement blades. One of the guys
in our hand tool group bought a set of new-made cutters for the 66 from either LV or LN a couple
months ago.

I have thought about buying Hock blades, especially for my
finish plane, but I'm also kind of vain about my ability to
sharpen anything with a wet stone and a leather strop with
a little compound. I add a little wax to the sole of my plane
and I'm good to go with the Stanley blades.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:49:50 -0600, sam wrote:

In article , NOSPAMrp77469
says...

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:41:42 -0600, sam wrote:

Two Stanley 151 spokeshaves, one Sweetheart, the other new
One No 60 spokeshave, Sweetheart
One No. 80 card scraper, no blade, dated 6-2-14
One No. 82 scraper, no blade
One No 66, Feb 9.86, no blade or fence

All for 25 bucks. Someone found a box in his attic.

Good buy. With all the bucks you saved, you can buy some Hock replacement blades. One of the guys
in our hand tool group bought a set of new-made cutters for the 66 from either LV or LN a couple
months ago.

I have thought about buying Hock blades, especially for my
finish plane, but I'm also kind of vain about my ability to
sharpen anything with a wet stone and a leather strop with
a little compound. I add a little wax to the sole of my plane
and I'm good to go with the Stanley blades.

I've got a small Hock that came with a chisel plane kit one of the guys in the hand tool group gave
me. Tiny as it is, it is an impressive piece of steel. I scarey sharpened it to 1500 grit.

A couple guys in our group have noted improvements when switching to Hock blades from the standard
Stanley's. I never thought to ask if they got $30-50 worth of improvement from the upgrade. If it
solved a chatter issue, I'm sure they sure did.

My #80 (scraper, Jeff) came with a piece of saw blade for the scraper, and I think it is a little
too soft. I recently bought a #12, (a bigger scraper, Jeff) with no blade, so decided to order a
Hock from these folks before the sale ends this month. I've never dealt with them before, so we
will see how it goes.

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/hand_tools.htm

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , NOSPAMrp77469
@comcast.net says...

[...]

With the new (old) 80 card scraper and new (old) 82 scraper,
I had planned to take my hand card scraper from Rocker ($7.98
I think; it's probably 4" by 7") and cut 1/3 of it for the
82 and keep the other 2/3 for the 80 card scraper. Maybe I'm
too cheap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sam writes:
In article , NOSPAMrp77469
says...

[...]

Card scraper may not be thick enough for the 82.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

sam writes:
In article , NOSPAMrp77469
says...

[...]

Can't hurt to try, I guess. I hadn't planned to have the blade
too far outside the jaws of the 82.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:54:25 -0600, sam wrote:

In article , NOSPAMrp77469
says...

[...]

My curiosity now being aroused forced me to slip out to the shop and measure some blades. The 80
blade is about 0.055" thick. The blade on the 81 came in at 0.042", which is exactly 1mm. I
checked one of my Disston's and it measured 0.031 or 1/32". Hock blades are listed as 1/16 or
0.062. My LV curved scrapers are 0,021 (0.5mm), and my LV cabinet scraper is 0.031. I have an 82,
but no cutter for it, but guess 0.030 - 0.040 would be right compared to the others.

I checked Leonard Lee's book which said earlier scraper blades (for the 80 and 81) had typical
hardness and thicknesses of saw blades, since they were made from the same stock. These must have
been two man saws to be 0.055" thick. He listed typical hardness as 38-42 Rockwell for the older
blades with newer scrapers being in the 48-52 range.

The only drawback to using thinner stock that comes to mind is perhaps some chatter. Let us know
how your experiment with the thin card scraper comes out. Worst case is that you now have a small
hand scraper for getting into tight corners.

Roy

Semi Gloat Tina Woodworking 15 July 3rd 06 08:29 PM
Semi-gloat (red oak) Kiwanda Woodworking 3 May 22nd 06 05:48 PM
Semi Gloat Ian Dodd Woodworking 2 September 13th 04 05:58 PM
Scroll Saw Semi-Gloat? solarman Woodworking 4 December 2nd 03 05:53 AM